• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Ogre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stats
Health: Average-High
Attack: Average-High
Armour: Average-High
Accuracy: Low-Average
Agility: Slow
Speed: Slow
Luck: Low
Recovery Rate: Slow
Intelligence: N/A
Construction: Primary
Training Rate: Slow-Average
Training Cost: Low-Average
Wage: Average

Skills
Level 1 - Melee
Uses large hammer to smash things.
Level 6 - Armour
Boosts the armour stats of this creature. Long recharge.
Level 8 - Quake
Uses the hammer to cause a mini tremor, stuns nearby small and medium sized creatures. Long recharge.
Level 10 - Rampage
Attack, agility and speed are increased to 200%. Effect lasts for 40s, stuns the Ogre when it wears off. Long recharge.

Information: The Ogre is primarily a manufacturing unit with a large steel hammer used for both shaping metal and caving heads.

Behavior in Dungeon: Ogres are lazy creatures and will take naps often. Their large structure also means they have to eat fairly often too. But their crafts-ogre-ship is unmatched!

Battle Style: Blitzer

Jobs: Manufacturing, Training, Repairing (?)

Obtainable By: Creature/Portal

Hates: Research, Insects (or rather, enjoys smashing them), Losing Battles

Loves: Manufacturing, Caving heads, Other Crafts-beasts

Anger reaction: Vandalism, Attacking friendlies, Attacking Dungeon Heart

Lair: Steaming bog water bath

Appearance: Large muscular creature, proportionally small forehead, a armoured loin cloth (perhaps more clothing), metal shoulder pad(s),

How Introduced: Regular entrance via tutorial levels

Attracted by: Smithy

Mentor Quotes: The Ogre, what it lacks in brain it makes up for in brawn, they're also rather well regarded for their armour and weapons -- it's not pretty, but it gets the job done; much like their weapons.

Dec 17, 2011
I like it, 40s is a long time for a 2x speed effect isn't it? Thinking about it it's hard to know the time durations without seeing some combats and such first. Ogres are a great creature, well known enough that people will know what they are, yet awesome enough to keep us lot happy.

Well, the intention was that the Orge hits very sparely, but I guess 40s is a long time anyway. I'd probably reign it in to about 25s. Which would be between 5-8-hits.

I just wanted to get a nice round generic character out there for manufacturing tasks. An Ogre seemed appropriate for the task.

Nazgren

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
if it was 8 hits in 25 seconds then that would be 1 hit every 3 seconds which seems kinda slow, if the rampage effect also increased attack speed then it would become 1.5 which sounds fair enough.
i had an idea for an ability, make the attack speed slightly higher, every 4 seconds for example, and give him a passive ability called momentum, i always picture a large creature like this swinging its club side to side for fighting multiple creatures to sweep them away. the ability would be called momentum, and every time he hits his attack speed is reduced by 0.5 seconds, to represent him building momentum with his hammer, with the effect wearing off if he makes no attacks for 5 seconds. alternatively you could make his attacks hit multiple targets.
another idea for an ability would be a charge. he runs at the target, building speed and damage for every tile he crosses while charging, the higher the speed he has reached the further he will continue to run after hitting his initial target. when he hits a creature there is a small chance that it will be carried along with the ogre. if they reach a wall the creature will will be stunned and recieve damage depending on how fast they were going. if the ogre hits a wall and is not carrying a creature the ogre will be stunned. the charge will hit and be able to pick up freindly and hostile creatures.

Dec 17, 2011
3 seconds for a heavy strike seems ok to me. I think 1.5x speed would be good enough. Making 2 seconds per strike.

I like the idea of big hulking creatures attacks sweeping an area and hitting multiple targets, perhaps a reduction in dmg % per creature hit?

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
At first I thought "such a strong creature in a tutorial level?" Then again, why not? Every creature should be useful and unique so it doesn't matter if you get a physically strong one early in the game. It could make early missions even more interesting because there could be stronger enemies, too. One thing I'd like to have changed is his name and his typical ogre-look which has been used a hundred times before. Maybe you can try to think of a new (invented) name for it and something that makes him look more originally. I know it's hard to find something that doesn't already exist but please try anyway. ;)

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I think the big thing to note about this guy is that he doesn't get a good ability until level 6. That means that he is in no way an early game kill-all creature, which means you have to put up with his slow movement, slow attacks, and all that for five levels before you can actually use him effectively in a fight. That seems like a good enough trade-off, to me.

Like someone else said, 40 seconds seems... very long for an ability of that caliber. It makes him become a preeeeetty vicious combatant. My vote is to either lower it to 30s or to do as Overlord said and make it attack 1.5 times faster, not 2x.

Other than that, I think we need insects in the game for him to smush. ANT CAVALRY!

(Just kidding about the ants.)

Yeah I already said I don't really know why I set it so high since when I was initially writing it I started at 20s.

At first I thought "such a strong creature in a tutorial level?" Then again, why not? Every creature should be useful and unique so it doesn't matter if you get a physically strong one early in the game. It could make early missions even more interesting because there could be stronger enemies, too. One thing I'd like to have changed is his name and his typical ogre-look which has been used a hundred times before. Maybe you can try to think of a new (invented) name for it and something that makes him look more originally. I know it's hard to find something that doesn't already exist but please try anyway. ;)
My intention was specifically not to make him overtly unique. What's wrong with an Ogre? Plus, even if I were to name him something like "Swamp Guardian" or whatever... he would still LOOK like an Ogre, as that's what I want him to look like. So instead of being difficult about it, I'd rather have something memorable that people can instantly recognise.

Besides, I've had the argument before, just do a search for "archetypes" in posts by myself and Egg.

Jan 7, 2012
why not an ogre? DK was an anti-dungeon crawler like Wfto will be, there should be a bunch of classic rpg monsters like skeletons, spiders, goblins, lizardmen or ogres.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
So instead of being difficult about it, I'd rather have something memorable that people can instantly recognise.
Quoted for truth.

There's a difference between being unoriginal and making an old idea your own. A big, stupid ugly creature has been done in a THOUSAND ways by now - no matter what you name it or call it, it's been done. There's no need to make up a new name and wonky appearance for it. However, taking the Ogre and giving it a personality and a niche in a story / game is... Well, that's pretty golden.

Here's an example: The concept of dragons is older than dirt. However, we still love to write about them. Why? Because they're freakin' dragons, man! We just make up new qualities and abilities for them to make them unique (talking dragons, dragons that turn into humans, etc).

If you ask me, I think that if we go for a specific appearance quality for the ogre - for instance, having a big gut but still being muscular, having a big beard, missing teeth, massive fists, or just having a VERY hairy belly... Then that's a step toward making this ogre special.

Like [email protected] says, Dungeon Keeper is about being the anti-dungeon crawler. You SHOULD have some old fashioned monsters tossed into this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom