• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Panoptes

Like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Name Panoptes

Stats:

Health: Below Average
Attack: Below Average
Armour: Below Average
Accuracy: Above Average
Agility: Below Average
Speed: Below Average
Luck: High
Recovery Rate: High
Intelligence: Above Average
Construction: Crap
Training Rate: Below Average
Training Cost: High
Wage: Above Average

Skills:
Level 1 - Melee (lashes out with tentacles)
Level 2 - Acid Spit (Spits out short ranged, bright greenish acid forward for about 2 seconds. Any enemy caught by it will receive significant damage over time when hit by the acid. 10 seconds cooldown)
Level 4 - Acid Shot (Launches a bright green energy sphere forward, which on contact with an enemy or a wall will explode and release acid which works similarly to Acid Spit except a bit weaker, with a small area of effect dealing damage over time for 2 seconds. 5 seconds cooldown)
Level 7 - Acid Rain (Spits out a bright purple energy sphere similar to Acid Shot. On contact with an enemy or wall, the sphere will quickly fly up stretch out along the ceiling, forming a circle with a 6 tile diameter. In this circle, acid will rain from the ceiling, dealing periodic damage over time for 6 seconds. 40 Seconds cooldown.
Level 10 - Acid Corrosion (Spits out acid like Acid Spit, except the stuff is cyan colored and if it hits enemies, it will apply a powerful damage over time effect which lasts for 15 seconds. 60 seconds cooldown.

Other abilities:

-Float: The Panoptes defies the concept of gravity. It floats around in the air freely.

-All-seeing: The Panoptes can see anything with its 100 eyes. It can see any invisible, cloaked or otherwise hidden creatures. It also has a larger sight range than usual for creatures. In addition, any type of backstab move (provided something like that exists) will fail on it, because its eyes always look in every direction.

-Toxic Death: If the Panoptes dies or gets knocked out, it will release toxic spores around its body, damaging nearby enemy creatures.

Information: A Lovecraftian/Cthulhoid monster with tentacles and a hundred eyes, no one knows the reason for its existence - it just is. It appears to have a penchant for chaos as well as death and decay, which is why it's typically aligned with the forces of evil.

Otherwise it's just an oddball...weird...thing which basically functions to add to the freakiness of the less sane dungeon lord's...well...dungeon.

Behavior in Dungeon: When in a dungeon, if not tasked to do something else, it will float around the dungeon and occasionally into neutral or hostile areas, combating any enemy it finds.

The Panoptes can do any regular dungeon job except construction. It is decent at researching.

Battle Style: It can fill up a variety of roles. If it finds its enemies to be right in front of itself, it will use melee tactics with spells such as Acid Spit and Acid Corrosion. If there are other allied creatures taking up the front, it will support from the back using spells such as Acid Shot and Acid Rain (provided it has these spells).

Jobs: Anything except construction, will do a sort of scouting by default

Obtainable By: Creature, obtainable by whatever type of late-game, oddball-styled room. Think like DK1 Scavenger Room, except it can be something entirely different.

Hates: Nothing particular, as far is known about it.

Loves: Seems to like death and decay.

Anger reaction: If angry, it will cause general mayhem in the dungeon, including damaging walls and rooms with its acid and combating other creatures.

Lair: Skulls and bones arranged in a very odd and intricate style, not comprehensible by mere humans. When sleeping on it, only a few of its eyes will close; the rest will remain open. (It will still see everything.)

Appearance: Couldn't really find any decent art towards what I'm looking for, but it'll have to do with this.

How Introduced: Appears either along with one of the later rooms which it is bundled with becoming available, or as a neutral hostile spawn in a mid-to-late-game level.

Attracted by: Obtainable by whatever type of late-game, oddball-styled room. Think like DK1 Scavenger Room, except it can be something entirely different.

Entrance Effect: A toxic (nondamaging) bright green gas erupts from the portal, out of which the Panoptes will form.

Torture: Stabs it in each and every one of its eyes

Advisor Quotes: "My lord... I need to go to the bathroom." can't really think of much sensible for him to say about it.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Meh.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this critter. It's not a bad idea; it's not an idea I'd clap for, either. I do like the entrance effect and how it has a focus on a particular type of damage - but floating seems a bit odd for this critter. Of course, I understand that it's SUPPOSED to be odd, but that's perhaps TOO odd.

I think, really, I'd be more receptive to the idea if it sort of dragged itself across the floor, leaving a trail of some disgusting substance as it went.

Jan 22, 2012
Meh

Generally i COULD see this to be replacement of bile demon type creature but i think it has too many goos dtuff now.
Personally I would change one of skills to something like AoE slow slime to somewhat force it to be AoE/zone controll high health typish creature. Just for me he has possibility to do too much dmg for his tankyness/usefulness.

As neutralish monster it is okayish tho (like an underground sub boss ?) for example that haunts heroes junkyard :D

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Yeah, originally it had its health as "below average" as it wasn't intended to be that tank-like. I think it'll be better if it just stays as that, and not what I changed it to earlier.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
If you've played Age of Mythology: The Titans, this creature reminds me of the Argus, at least in appearance. If you haven't, Google the Argus.

*googles it to make sure spelling is correct*
*sees full name is Argus Panoptes*
*facepalm*

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I really like this. It has the uniqueness factor capture by the Bile Demon in DK.

I'm imagining all the eyes, previously roaming, swiveling towards you when you pick them up. Freaky.

Also a funky little idle animation could be blowing little saliva/acid bubbles like bubble-gum. Pop... Pop... Pop...

On a more design track, may I suggest you consider adding delicate wavy jellyfish-like stingers that wrap around creatures? It seems to fit it.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
A lovecraftian monster... its meant to weird like that. This is a bit like the beholder except more 'hall of oddities' and less 'butchery of gore'. That puts it in the same category as the DK1 tentacle. Oddity is why it is unique and cool.

It looks laughable? You've found some light relief and a running gag =D

This is the kind of creature, by which just picking it up you crack a little smile in my book.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
I really like this. It has the uniqueness factor capture by the Bile Demon in DK.

I'm imagining all the eyes, previously roaming, swiveling towards you when you pick them up. Freaky.

Also a funky little idle animation could be blowing little saliva/acid bubbles like bubble-gum. Pop... Pop... Pop...

On a more design track, may I suggest you consider adding delicate wavy jellyfish-like stingers that wrap around creatures? It seems to fit it.
It really doesn't, the Bile Demon was made purely for Dungeon Keeper. The "Panoptes" or "Argus Panoptes" is part of Greek mythology; now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't really play the unique card with this one.

This is a creature I would throw back into the portal as soon as I got it, but that's my opinion.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
The "Panoptes" or "Argus Panoptes" is part of Greek mythology;.
Last I checked, Argus was a giant, not a cthulhoid acid tentacle monster. Also, "Panoptes" is an epithet (title), meaning "all-seeing", not a name, and Argus wasn't the only one who had that title. "Panoptes" is to Argus much like what "Incredible" is to "The Hulk".

It's as much related to Greek Mythology as Bile Demons are to, well, anything else that has demons. (Such as Greek Mythology. Huh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom