• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Pitfiend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakzon

Blood Imp
Feb 5, 2012
Name Pitfiend Or Devourer

Preface Someone was talking about heavy metal, so i just grabbed a name and ran with it. That, and i have yet to see a tank to replace the bile deamon.

Appearance image:

-Image lifted from Deviant art as just a general feel design, i dont own it so if you want to request this designs use then heres the page link: http://dio-dong.deviantart.com/art/some-undead-monster-132468876?q=gallery:dio-dong/13328040&qo=16-
Stats:
Health: Medium
Armor: High
Movement Speed: Slow
Attack strength: High
Attack speed: Slow
Intelligence: Low
Construction: Medium
Training Rate: Medium
Training Cost: Medium amount
Wage: Medium amount
Weight: Heavy -its v tall-

Skills:

Lvl1: Bludgeon -Melee-

Lvl2: Belch fireball -works like normal fireball but from the mouth, with a bit of smoke, a moderate cooldown, can be changed to poison gass ball, acid spray or a dark bolt easily enought-

Lvl4: Armour boost -temp boost to armor-

lvl6: Fire claws -better melee attack that rakes the foe who then prodeceds to billow steam that damages surrounding creatures at a low rate of damage for a short period of time, can ahve its type changed to acid or poison easily enought-

Lvl8: Corpse haze: Causes foes to flee as if frightened by a fear trap Medium cool down. Looks like a thick evil fog fanning out from the beast that stinks of rotten and burning flesh, this billows from the chest cavity. If their are more than 2 pitfeind's who use this ability in a small area, a kind of "fear haze" affecting all none-undead enemy or allied appears for a medium length of time as the haze builds up. This haze buffs the pitfeind's and all other undead's speed a small amount when they are in it should it be genorated.

-The Corpse haze ability targets only 1 creature, the fear haze from multiple pitfiends is a 50% chance of affecting any none-undead that walk into it, if a creature resists the fear affect then they become immune to fear haze(s) in general for a medium length of time-

Lvl10: Devour: The creature eather takes a bite out of a live foe for a large chunk of damage -which it then heals 75% of that HP to itself- or it eats a corpse and heals entierly. Long cool down -comparitivly-

Special:

1) can go into a kind of stasis that heals them as if they were at a lair. But it takes a wile to go into and a wile to come out of, leaving them vunerable if attacked. At level 8 this stasis generates some of their fear smog to a tiny radius around them.
2) Imps can climb up into its rib cage to escape foes, this makes its ribcage have a pair of beedy eyes looking out. 1 imp per pitfiend. Imp can still attack from the ribcage using its pick.
3) Can and will eat corpses. but before level 10 dont gain anything but their hunger satisfied by doing so.

Weaknesses/Resistances:
Weaknesses: Light, ice
Resistance: Blunt, Poison, Dark.

Information: The Pitfiend is a dark beast coalesced from lesser undead like ghosts and skeletons that gather in areas of bloodshed and rotting flesh, a small burst of dark power to bind the creatures together gives something akin to a ghoul but far more terrible.

Appearance: A tall and broad beast remminiscant of a man, its head skull like in complexion, its mouth narrow and cheekbones high. Red coals burn in place of its eyes and its open body cavity squirms and fidgets with ghostly energy of the souls bound together to fuel it as they slowly burn for eternity. This is the source of the Unholy smog.

Behavior in Dungeon: This beast likes to train, and hang out in the graveyard were itll eat your corpses if you arnt carefull. It uses the workshops and forges with simple skill when a job is needed doing. If a graveyard isent present they'll wander around the dungeon heart, trainning rooms and hatchery. They are very slow to tire but require alot of food. utterly immune to undead fear since they are a walking scare trap at level 8.

Battle Style: (What combat style is your unit? [Tank/Blocker, Blitzer, (offensive) Support, Buffer, etc.]. Also includes combat tendencies for that Unit.)
Tank/Blocker. Will happly engage and will not withdraw from combat unless heavily wounded or outnumbered. At level 8 if with 2 or more other level 8's in combat they will group together and intentionaly create fear smogs and advance into greater numbers of enemy. Their general approach sequence is: Buff (Armor), ranged attack -wile moving towards foe- Melee attacks, Devour when at 50% HP or less.

Jobs: Training, workshop (creating traps and doors etc)

Loves: Undead company, will actualy follow vampires around for short periods of time due to their unique smell and magical energys. Will loiter around corpses, and will eat them if given enought time to do so. If the vampire they are following attacks anything they will join in. If the vampire flees then so will the pitfiends. They will also flee if in a battle the vampire they are fighting beside (if they are) flees. They gain a small speed boost when in the presence of a vampire (enought to keep up with it)

Hates: Monks and holy men/symbols.

Anger reaction: It will rip up the graveyard and smash down the doors to get to the corpses, it will attack magic users like wizards/witches via blasting them with its lvl 2 attack if they pass and if level 8 will group together and litter your dungeon with smogs of fear clouds. Will attempt to use Devour on any none pitfiend undead.

Lair: An old gravestone. The creature curls up around its base in a kind of childish cuddle, usualy with the gravestone in its mouth as it tends to chew it gently. The rest of the gravestone has chew marks and a skull from something hanging off one corner.

Obtainable By: Portal, Special ritual that combines undead.

Attracted by: Graveyard in conjunction with eather of the other two is a big attracter:, workshop, trainning room, but the trainning room and workshop together are a small one on their own. Or: Lots of corpses on claimed land (yours) or unclaimed/Neutral land within a 10 tile radius of your land outside of graveyards will also attract them.

How Introduced: Midd campaign introduction, a large battlefeild strewn with dead corpses has a few undead wandering around it. A group of Pitfiends wander in attracted by the smell of decay and attack a hero party that cleared the normal undead out, killing them and start to eat them.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] Billowing clouds funnel out of the portal and the creature rises up in a coffin and is spat out onto the ground, it picks itself up.

Torture: [OPTIONAL] A magic staff stuck up its ribcage pulling the mist out and then electricuting it.

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] Ah the pitfiend, a delightfull fellow fueled by the tortured souls of a hundred battlefeilds. Simple beasts that hunger all the time and will prove a staltworth foe to your enemys, But mark my words theyve a taste for flesh and bone, so any nearby corpses theyll devour, leaving ny graveyards bare at the witching hour.

"Your Devourers are doing the thriller"
"One of your imps is ridding around in a Devourers ribcage, cozey?"
"The vampire is being stalked by its undead fanclub"
"Now now keeper, dont feed the Devourer too many corpses or they'll bloat up with corpse gass and you'll have to roll him back to his lair"
"The Devourers are partying in the graveyard"

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
My critique for this creature is going to be fairly focused around its fluff, so bear with me.

Honestly, I think you should either focus on the gluttony or on the fiery aspect of this creature. Is it a corpse-eating monstrosity, or does it belch fire at its enemies? The two don't exactly mesh perfectly together, at least in my opinion, though it could work given enough thought and detail. Given its affinity for undeath, I'd say it should be focused around Shadow damage instead of Fire.

The Smog ability doesn't seem to be well named or entirely thought out, at least in my opinion. I think that having it increase the power and ability of undead creatures is nice. As a fear ability, it shouldn't be able to affect "anything one level under" since that's pretty... Well, that can get overpowered. As is, it needs reworking.

As said, its fire abilities may work better as shadow abilities, given its themes. I'd look at that as well.

I'm not sure if Vampires are going to be in the game, but the detail you have for Vampires would fit to any other "powerful" undead creature that might be in the game. We'll see.

I think you've got a good idea, but you need to focus on a theme that your creature fits. It's a corpse-eater. You may want to get someone to spellcheck and edit your writing, too.

Karakzon

Blood Imp
Feb 5, 2012
fair does. Just to note: im dislexic and i wrote this at like 00:10 AM in the morning so, not the best combination.
The general theme is that its powerd by the eternaly burning souls of the damned. so thats a minor fire aspect. and it loves corpse since it used to be alive and hungers for flesh -hence why the lvl 10 ability is basicaly: NOM NOM NOM-
If you think that isent realy working then im sure making it more ghoulish and turning the fire based attacks into acid/dark/poison ones would do as well.
Indeed, any powerful undead would do if vampires arnt in (Though if their not thats a touch of a shame, since their a classic evil creature).
The smog isent much thought out, i was wanting to put in an ability that could be powerd up by a group of these things that would make them a good defensive force but with a big chance of backfireing if your assaulting a foe. I could call it Corpse haze and make it have a 50% chance of affecting a creature -if they arnt affected they have immunity from the haze for a good period of time, probably 2x its cool down rate- The ability on its own targets only a single creature, the special group affect is when it gets truly funky.

As such, Im intending for something to take the bile deamons place as a tank/Defender, have some unique behavior and not be too much like a classic zombie or ghoul. If more people feel i should replace the small fire powers with Dark/poison/acid ones then i will for this suggestion, but ill change unholy smog to Corpse haze and such. Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 22, 2012
fair does. Just to note: [] i wrote this at like 00:10 AM in the morning so, not the best combination.
Do not worry most ppl post around/past at this hour :p

Feedback
Lower numberof resistances. Nobody likes a creature that resist most dmg
I would personally love to see this creature to follow undead around and try to eat them. Messages like
"Your *vampire* feels unhappy because his arm was eaten by *pitfiend* * would be hilarious :p
Also pitfiend does not fit. For me it is too close to pit fiends.
Edit battle stance section :/
Anger reaction : more frequent feasts on *vampires* XD
Could be funy if this creature be attracted by many corpses that rot outside of graveyards :p

Karakzon

Blood Imp
Feb 5, 2012
Changes made. Ill change the name if someone comes up with an alternative.
These are what i can think of right now:
Lord of skulls
Husk
Fumeing Husk
The Damned
Devourer
Corpse Eater

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
Special number 2) with imps - that sounds interesting.

And please, could it be obligatory to make up messages for creatures, because
"One of your imps is ridding around in a Devourers ribcage, cozey?" - that totally made my day :-D

"Your imps are using Devourers leg for pastime, when you have so much toys in a graveyard, dont wander they are not digging."

Also Vampires must be in the game...what a keeper without a vampire-warlock nudge?

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Also Vampires must be in the game...what a keeper without a vampire-warlock nudge?
Technically, players are called "Underlord" in War for the Overworld. It's terminology to keep in mind - this game isn't a Keeper clone, in the end.

Vampires may or may not be in-game. I do believe that it's been stated by a Dev somewhere that corpses are going to have less importance, or at least be used differently, than in the Dungeon Keeper series. Namely, you can't use corpses to make skeletons, ghosts, and vampires. They wanted to get away from that because players would kill their weak creatures to make more powerful undead creatures.

Technically, players are called "Underlord" in War for the Overworld. It's terminology to keep in mind - this game isn't a Keeper clone, in the end.

Vampires may or may not be in-game. I do believe that it's been stated by a Dev somewhere that corpses are going to have less importance, or at least be used differently, than in the Dungeon Keeper series. Namely, you can't use corpses to make skeletons, ghosts, and vampires. They wanted to get away from that because players would kill their weak creatures to make more powerful undead creatures.
We never said they would have less importance (at least I don't recall it being said), corpses definitely will have some use.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
We never said they would have less importance (at least I don't recall it being said), corpses definitely will have some use.
...or at least be used differently
I clarified that I may be wrong with that statement. But yes, they will have a use, I've inferred, but certainly not the same use as before. Again, that's what I can tell as a forum-goer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom