• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Redcap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
This is a revamp of an earlier suggestion which has more merit now that replacement creatures are being grasped at. Redcaps are the nastier and bloodthirstier (indeed downright psychotic) cousin of the goblin within folklore. This suggestion is, I should hope, very much altered in balance and positioning, to my original which i never really got around to refining.
The best image I could find.
The Redcap is an early-game/mid-game blitzer (or possibly flanker) which relies on speed and gains small health and armour boosts from the deaths of surrounding enemies. Slightly mad, and certainly eccentric, Redcaps do not yield to reason and charge fearlessly into any fray without reservation or restraint. They are supremely quick and despite their relative frailty can deal a punch, hacking away with their twin short-handled axes in a mad frenzy.

On the flip-side they are physically weak creatures, carried into battle only by their overwhelming lust for blood. They have no sense of right and wrong, no conscience or moral compass - as such they are on occasion accompanied by sprees of petty theft, upsetting other creatures or causing fights - usually if they haven't seen battle for a long time. They may even steal from you, but this probably won't matter because for each creature they kill between paydays, they take 20% less gold.

Additionally, killing puts them in a state of 'Bliss' meaning they don't get angry or unhappy for a short while afterwards. They get on well with the undead, and have no whatsoever qualms being around them.

Redcaps enjoy inflicting torture.

Health: Low
Attack: Medium-High
Armour: Low
Speed: Medium-High
Accuracy: High
Intelligence: Low/Moderate
Training Rate: Moderate
Training Cost: Above Average
Ease of Keeping: May upset others on occasion, but if they see enough combat can be very inexpensive and easy to please.
Recovery Rate: Medium
Creature Wage: Medium (The More Kills it Makes the Less it Takes)

Prospective Spells

Level 1 - Melee Attack
This is the standard close quarters melee attack.

Level 1 - Blood Healing (Passive)
This allows the Redcap to regain 5% of its total Health from kill nearby as well as temporarily buffing Attack Rate for about 3 seconds following and Speed for 10 seconds. The buffed Attack Rate and Speed don't stack, however.

Level 6 - Battle Frenzy (Passive)
This allows the Redcaps to regain another 5% of its total Health for every creature it personally kills.

History
Redcaps are among the most brutal, soulless and chaotic creatures to inhabit this underworld. It is quite frankly little wonder they work for you. These ghastly creatures are infamous for their horrifying tendency to stain their unkempt dread-locked hair red with the blood of their foes. They wear heavy armoured boots, which defy their furious swiftness, and a blood-splattered smock/tunic.

They are on whole solitary wandering creatures, congregating only to slaughter things and occasionally, if there is any time left over, procreate. As a result it is a inexplicable wonderment that they haven't killed themselves off already.

Images

The best image I could make. Also I forgot pointy ears, so add those in your head.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Mate your idea inspired me to pick up a pencil and do some concept art for you ( bear in mind I haven't drawn anything in 10 - 11 years so it might suck :p ) I made the Redcap more tribal reflecting it's savagery the skull it's holding is adult human size so by comparison you can see the Redcap is quite a bit smaller then a human man but still powerful and deadly! Have a look let me know what you guys think? My apologies if it's not very boldly visible my scanner is shit:oops: * Click on the PDF file below *

Tribal Redcap Goblin.jpg

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I quite like the tattoos. That could look really good on the chest and arms. If you ask me though, he looks a bit too diminutive and Reptilia for a Redcap seeing as on whole it is still a Goblin. It reminds me of my own Gremlin, or to a lesser degree, Evi's Kobold. It could be appropriate for the Gremlin (who needs a revamp anyway).

There are four things that I want to achieve in this suggestion:
1. Be loosely true to the mythology of the Redcap.
2. Capture the insane rage of the Reaper in a smaller package :D
3. Hark back to the Goblin and Orc.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I quite like the tattoos. That could look really good on the chest and arms. If you ask me though, he looks a bit too diminutive and Reptilia for a Redcap seeing as on whole it is still a Goblin. It reminds me of my own Gremlin, or to a lesser degree, Evi's Kobold. It could be appropriate for the Gremlin (who needs a revamp anyway).

There are four things that I want to achieve in this suggestion:
1. Be loosely true to the mythology of the Redcap.
2. Capture the insane rage of the Reaper in a smaller package :D
3. Hark back to the Goblin and Orc.
Any word on whether the Orc will be in WFTO?
I'll have to brush up on my Redcap mythology any good references?
So would you say my sketch is more gremlin? Lol it's what my original intention was then part way through I added the whole tribal thing I guess if you wanted to you could call what I drew here a Red Band Goblin all it needs is a red band around its head/arm/leg/waist whatever :rolleyes:

BTW My goblin drawing is flipping us the bird that's right its a goblin with attitude!:cool:

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I used to have a neat dictionary of folklore in the house but I lost it. Just use Wikipedia, to be honest. Still twice as reliable as most other sites on the web when it comes to this stuff.

Nov 15, 2011
i am loving the long fingers and the long nails and all the detail and the body and this little fellows bad ass temprament!!!

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Thanks for feedback lads I did a bit of research on the Redcap myth and I didn't realize just how essential the RED CAP <--- ( Blood Stained Cap) is to this sub species of goblin.

wikipedia says:
Redcaps are said to murder travellers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name).Redcaps must kill regularly, for if the blood staining their hats dries out, they die. Redcaps are very fast in spite of the heavy iron pikes they wield and the iron-shod boots they wear. Outrunning a redcap is supposedly impossible.

So yeah I'll do a new drawing incorporating the Redcap + Tribal Tattoos , Now that I look at it the drawing I did looks way to much like a Gremlin rather then a Goblin :rolleyes:

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
I have taken some liberties. It does make more sense for them to stain their hair with blood than their hats, from a ritualistic tribal PoV and from a plain badass PoV. I took out the pike because it isn't ideal underground in tight spaces, being pretty much a minimum of 3 metres long, in addition to the fact it just doesn't feel right on a goblin.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I have taken some liberties. It does make more sense for them to stain their hair with blood than their hats, from a ritualistic tribal PoV and from a plain badass PoV. I took out the pike because it isn't ideal underground in tight spaces, being pretty much a minimum of 3 metres long, in addition to the fact it just doesn't feel right on a goblin.
Yeah I was wandering about the pike, what do you reckon would be more practical for such a creature to use a dagger, small hand axe or a short sword or perhaps a mace? Also would it wear armor I'm thinking light leather armor but just stuff like leather boots with steel capped toes & leather/fur pants with 1 leather pauldron and 2 wrist guards also leather?

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
^ Description's up there, but in order to fully portray their battle frenzy I feel dual hand-axes works best.

Also, they are fragile so very little armour, almost none in fact, and of that its all heavy plate metal because it stands out. Makes you stop and think, "Wait a second what's going on here?"

Add to that the fact that if your going to wear iron-shod boots chances are you aren't going to wear leather armour in more vital parts. To be honest, aside from the boots and knee-plates I wasn't going to add anything else, though a single shoulder guard might just work.

Dec 9, 2011
Covington, Kentucky
Agreed, someone mentioned dark fae, and this guy came to mind, but someone beat me to it.

Traditionaly Redcaps wear iron boots, and soak there caps in the blood of their enemies, and have some form of limited invisability. They are often shown with an Axe as a prefered weapon. Redcaps are cruel and bloodthirsty, and thus would not be very good as a guard, but be good as a thief or an assassin type character.

I propose that when a Redcap Kills a unit, it should gain a temporary combat buff.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Traditionaly Redcaps wear iron boots, and soak there caps in the blood of their enemies, and have some form of limited invisability. They are often shown with an Axe as a prefered weapon. Redcaps are cruel and bloodthirsty, and thus would not be very good as a guard, but be good as a thief or an assassin type character.
Its pretty much true to that, except no invisibility - because that is applied to so many goblins and elves that its gets silly. If every single character attributed invisibility at some point or another had it, then we would have a mite to many thieves and assassins. It isn't really recognized for that next to other traits. Also I made them die their hair in blood, rather than soak their hat. Other than that though it is pretty true right down to the iron boots.

I haven't set it up as a guard, but I disagree on the thief/assassin score. The creature dies its hat in the blood of the slain, as well as being deathly quick and lives in old battlefields. Thieves and Assassins aren't aggressive enough to capture the Redcaps potential. I made this guy a glass cannon, a blitzer, who charges into battle with high attack and not so resplendent health.

Also iron boots ain't exactly great for sneaking. At least with speed, they are noted for it - in spite of their boots.

The second factor which I believe disqualifies them from the ranks of thieves and assassins is subtlety or their notable lack of. Soaking your hat crimson red in the blood of the dead is not subtle in the slightest. Wearing clanking iron boots is not subtle. If they were going to be assassins and thieves they would need subtlety, they don't have it.

I propose that when a Redcap Kills a unit, it should gain a temporary combat buff.
Already has two of them... at Level 1 (Blood Healing) & at Level 6 (Battle Frenzy), top of the page ;).

• Blood Healing heals it 5% whenever a unit in the area is killed, as well as granting temporary attack rate and movement speed bonuses.
  • Battle Frenzy heals it an additional 5% when the unit was killed personally.
These would be op on the bulk of creatures, but the Redcap has relatively low health. I set it up as a 'blitzer', fragile but with a high attack.

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
I support the Redcap being in WFtOW. Basicly a Redcap, within the contexts of WFtOW, should be a wily melee combatant, low survivability but big damage output, possibly with the passive ability to heal themselves when they deal the killing blow to an enemy and gaining a temporary buff to damage resistance and damage output for a short time after killing an enemy. Attached is the Dungeons & Dragons interpretation of the Redcap, which is my preferred imagining of said creature.

Attachments

Chucknc

Bloodling
Sep 6, 2015
This is a revamp of an earlier suggestion which has more merit now that replacement creatures are being grasped at. Redcaps are the nastier and bloodthirstier (indeed downright psychotic) cousin of the goblin within folklore. This suggestion is, I should hope, very much altered in balance and positioning, to my original which i never really got around to refining.

The best image I could find.
The Redcap is an early-game/mid-game blitzer (or possibly flanker) which relies on speed and gains small health and armour boosts from the deaths of surrounding enemies. Slightly mad, and certainly eccentric, Redcaps do not yield to reason and charge fearlessly into any fray without reservation or restraint. They are supremely quick and despite their relative frailty can deal a punch, hacking away with their twin short-handled axes in a mad frenzy.

On the flip-side they are physically weak creatures, carried into battle only by their overwhelming lust for blood. They have no sense of right and wrong, no conscience or moral compass - as such they are on occasion accompanied by sprees of petty theft, upsetting other creatures or causing fights - usually if they haven't seen battle for a long time. They may even steal from you, but this probably won't matter because for each creature they kill between paydays, they take 20% less gold.

Additionally, killing puts them in a state of 'Bliss' meaning they don't get angry or unhappy for a short while afterwards. They get on well with the undead, and have no whatsoever qualms being around them.

Redcaps enjoy inflicting torture.

Health: Low
Attack: Medium-High
Armour: Low
Speed: Medium-High
Accuracy: High
Intelligence: Low/Moderate
Training Rate: Moderate
Training Cost: Above Average
Ease of Keeping: May upset others on occasion, but if they see enough combat can be very inexpensive and easy to please.
Recovery Rate: Medium
Creature Wage: Medium (The More Kills it Makes the Less it Takes)

Prospective Spells

Level 1 - Melee Attack
This is the standard close quarters melee attack.

Level 1 - Blood Healing (Passive)
This allows the Redcap to regain 5% of its total Health from kill nearby as well as temporarily buffing Attack Rate for about 3 seconds following and Speed for 10 seconds. The buffed Attack Rate and Speed don't stack, however.

Level 6 - Battle Frenzy (Passive)
This allows the Redcaps to regain another 5% of its total Health for every creature it personally kills.

History
Redcaps are among the most brutal, soulless and chaotic creatures to inhabit this underworld. It is quite frankly little wonder they work for you. These ghastly creatures are infamous for their horrifying tendency to stain their unkempt dread-locked hair red with the blood of their foes. They wear heavy armoured boots, which defy their furious swiftness, and a blood-splattered smock/tunic.

They are on whole solitary wandering creatures, congregating only to slaughter things and occasionally, if there is any time left over, procreate. As a result it is a inexplicable wonderment that they haven't killed themselves off already.

The best image I could make. Also I forgot pointy ears, so add those in your head.
I prefer this to your general generic goblin

give him a pike ( the traditional weapon carried by redcaps) and he is good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom