• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Skeleton Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
I know the dragon isn't really an original concept; however I rarely see a skeleton Dragon, the only games that I've ever seen a skeleton dragon in are the Heroes of Might and Magic games and Skyrim.

Name: Skeleton Dragon

Stats:

Health: moderate
Attack: moderate-high
Armor: The skeleton dragon has drank plenty of milk providing it with very strong bones, thus earning it a high armor rating
Accuracy: above average
Agility: below average
Speed: (Attack: moderate / Movement Speed: kind of slow)
Luck: low
Recovery Rate: the skeleton dragon does not rest, there for its health can only be restored via heal spell
Intelligence: doesn't research
Construction: n/a
Training Rate: slow
Training Cost: high
Wage: none

Skills:
Level 1: the skeleton dragon performs melee attacks by biting and slashing

level 5: frost breath - the skeleton dragon breaths out a stream of frost, this only inflicts light damage but slows down enemy units to quite a bit. moderate cool down

Level 6: Ice Grenade - the dragon spews out a crystal ice ball that bounces around and explodes after about 5 seconds. Anyone caught in the blast will be covered in a thin layer of Ice, their speed and attack damage will be decreased, and the target will take constant light damage. Long cool down

level 7: Shriek - the skeleton Dragon lets out a shriek causing all enemies close by the dragon to focus only on him for about 10 seconds. long cool down

level 8: Cold Bones -The skeleton dragon casts a cold enchantment around its entire body, this causes enemies to take average damage when hitting the dragon. This ability lasts for 8 seconds and has a moderate cool down.

Level 10: Summon Ghost Dragons - The skeleton dragon summons a group of about 5 small ghostly dragons to aid the skeleton Dragon as well as your other creatures. The ghost dragons only do light damage and have semi low health, but they are quite fast and very distracting to the enemy. The ghost dragons last for 15 seconds and this ability has a long cool down.

special: when the dragon dies it explodes causing sharp bone fragments to fly out in all directions, causing moderate damage to anything they hit.

Note: I gave him a lot of cold based abilities because I think cold is rather fitting for undead.

Information: A complete abomination; this creature is forged from the bones of many large and high level creatures

Behavior in Dungeon: the skeleton dragon doesn't sleep or eat, nor does it collect wages, it is emotionless for the most part. It spends most of its time training and guarding

Battle Style: blitzer, can also be somewhat supportive with its spells

Jobs: training, guarding

Obtainable By: graveyard, or whatever replaces it. If this method seems unsuitable, I could think of another.

Hates: gargoyles

Loves: its undead, what is there to love

Anger reaction: it doesn't really get angry with anything but gargoyles, which it will attack.

Lair: doesn't need one

Appearance: a dragon in skeleton form, it can't look like the original dk dragon of course.

How Introduced: definitely late in the game since its rather powerful

Attracted by: it is attracted by placing the corpses of many large and high level creatures into the graveyard, or whatever room is going to act as a graveyard. It takes a lot to obtain a skeleton Dragon, so it may be difficult to get a large amount.

Torture: the skeleton dragon can not be imprisoned, when it hits 0 health it dies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
My immediate concern: All of its stats are pretty good. As in, you have nothing below average, and you have a few 'high' stats to boot, and its abilities aren't downers, and it can research really well, and it doesn't need to eat, and it doesn't need to sleep, and...

...okay, you get the idea. Here's the big, overall thing to remember:

1) Unless it's a campaign only creature, all creatures are supposed to be about equally useful throughout gameplay. In other words, all creatures are being balanced to be useful, even creatures you'd normally assume to be weak, such as goblins. Every unit will have a purpose.
2) I believe it's been stated that campaign only creatures are normally avoided, with a few exceptions.
3) The creature seems good at everything, bad at nothing, and its only real weakness is that it can't construct.

The above numbers are big problems. That said, after editing this beastie, I think this could end up being a good creature. Once balanced, I'd simply change it so that you only need a Dragon's corpse, not a bunch of random corpses to make a skeletal dragon. I would stick to giving it a single role in combat, or maybe two, unless you specifically want it to be a 'filler' unit, or Jack-of-all-trades, which means it wouldn't be as good as other creatures in all the areas it's skilled in, which sort of seems wrong for a dragon.

Name-wise, if you decide to make it a spell focused dragon, you may consider calling it a Dracolich. 'Tis a fun name.

Feb 9, 2012
My immediate concern: All of its stats are pretty good. As in, you have nothing below average, and you have a few 'high' stats to boot, and its abilities aren't downers, and it can research really well, and it doesn't need to eat, and it doesn't need to sleep, and...

1) Unless it's a campaign only creature, all creatures are supposed to be about equally useful throughout gameplay. In other words, all creatures are being balanced to be useful, even creatures you'd normally assume to be weak, such as goblins. Every unit will have a purpose.
2) I believe it's been stated that campaign only creatures are normally avoided, with a few exceptions.
3) The creature seems good at everything, bad at nothing, and its only real weakness is that it can't construct.

The above numbers are big problems. That said, after editing this beastie, I think this could end up being a good creature. Once balanced, I'd simply change it so that you only need a Dragon's corpse, not a bunch of random corpses to make a skeletal dragon. I would stick to giving it a single role in combat, or maybe two, unless you specifically want it to be a 'filler' unit, or Jack-of-all-trades, which means it wouldn't be as good as other creatures in all the areas it's skilled in, which sort of seems wrong for a dragon.

Name-wise, if you decide to make it a spell focused dragon, you may consider calling it a Dracolich. 'Tis a fun name.
Its health could be reduced, its only bones after all, and since its big it might make since to reduce its agility. And maybe you could only get one at a time, making it somewhat of a super unit.

Jan 22, 2012
seriously i play skyrim and there is no Skeleton dragons in it. (you should give me link to that mod)

I suggest you should make it as bright as skeleton, remove some armor/agility, make it slower (iirc dragons were sooo slow) remove few abbilities (how can it breath since it has no lungs O-o) ,

my few cents

Feb 9, 2012
seriously i play skyrim and there is no Skeleton dragons in it. (you should give me link to that mod)
you can fight one if you do the staff of magnus quest, and supposedly you can fight one if you interrupt a dragon as its resurrecting; and I really don't want to stat a discussion about skyrim, so lets just leave this here.

(how can it breath since it has no lungs O-o)
magic

Feb 10, 2012
you know, now that i think of it, maybe this unit should research rather slow if at all, since i guess it's hard to picture it in a library >.< i think dragons should be smart but. . .maybe this guy can be the exception. i do think it'd be better with reduced health, high armor and very low dodge/agility though!

Feb 9, 2012

I've given it some reworking; I've nerfed its stats to make it less over powered. I've also removed his ice ball because its just another freeze stun ability, and is rather redundant. As for the name change....I don't think Dracolich is very attractive:confused:

Dagins

Blood Imp
Feb 29, 2012
Personally I think they should require some pay, after all dragon's of all types are known for hordes of treasure ;) and for attracting them, I think only dragon corpses should go towards making a skeleton dragon. Maybe 10 Dragon's to make a skeleleton dragon, unless that's to high as I don't know how many creatures we'll have....

oh and Breath of Fire 3 had one ;)

Feb 9, 2012
Personally I think they should require some pay, after all dragon's of all types are known for hordes of treasure
yeah, but this one isn't really alive

and for attracting them, I think only dragon corpses should go towards making a skeleton dragon. Maybe 10 Dragon's to make a skeleleton dragon, unless that's to high as I don't know how many creatures we'll have....
That all depends on weather or not actual dragons will be in the game. If they do implement dragons then maybe I'll make it so Skeleton dragons come from skeleton corpses.

Dagins

Blood Imp
Feb 29, 2012
true but skeleton dragon's are normally brought back through magical means and have no real desires or self image but do whatever the caster wants but if we were to make them simply come back to life then I think they would want wealth....
If the game doesn't have living dragon's of some form then I personally don't think a skeleton dragon would fit into the game as you really can't have him without having others to do so would ruin the game for me as that just doesn't make any sense. don't get me wrong I absolutly love dragons as they are and always have been my favorite creatures.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom