• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Spitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Who needs arrows when you have acidic mucus?

I like lizards. Let me admit that straightaway so that it's not a question later. This, therefore, is based off of a lizard-like version of a basalisk, obviously with less stone-gazing and more acid spitting. This is designed to be an early game ranged unit whose unique asset is, of course, acid damage. I think you can find out the rest below.

As always, I'm open to positive or negative criticism, to hate mail, drive by shootings, molotovs mysteriously landing in my dorm room... You get the picture. Judge my work mercilessly.

Name: Spitter

Stats:

Health: Average
Attack: High/Very High (It could probably be either and get away with it.)
Armour: Above Average
Accuracy: Above Average
Agility: Poor
Speed: Slow Movement / Average Attack Speed
Recovery Rate:
Intelligence: Poor
Construction: Poor
Training Rate: Fast
Training Cost: Below Average
Wage: Average

Skills:
Level 1: Bite [Melee - Basic Melee attack. This ability should be weak compared to Acid Spit.]
Level 2: Acid Spit [Ranged - Basic ranged attack. This attack deals acid damage, as written, and bypasses some armor. This ability shares a cooldown with Burning Spit.]
Level 5: Acid Bomb [AoE Ranged - The Spitter, well, spits a large ball of acid that explodes on contact, hitting all enemies in an area of effect. The attack otherwise functions identically to Acid Spit but with slightly higher damage.]
Level 8: Burning Spit [Ranged - Basic ranged attack. This attack functions the same as Acid Spit with one exception: Half the damage it deals is fire damage. This is useful for tackling opponents that are strong against acid. This ability shares a cooldown with Acid Spit.]

Resistances: For obvious reasons, the Spitter is resistant to acid and poison, but due to its cold blooded nature is weak to cold damage.

Other abilities: Spitters can travel through water as fast as they travel on land due to being fantastic amphibians. They have the unique inability to critically hit, ever, with most of their attacks (with "Bite" being the sole exception).

Information: Spitters are a relatively new addition to the underworld. On the overworld, they are territorial creatures, lurking in swamps and marshlands where they can ambush unsuspecting travelers with their corrosive mucus before feasting on their remains. Some have been tamed by nature-worshiping sorts, but it takes a truly wicked mind to put these creatures to their proper use - a mind such as yours, master.

Spitters make a fine addition to any Underlord's menagerie. Their already territorial nature can be turned into merciless ferocity with just a bit of torture and psychic suggestion. Their tiny brains respond to the promise of food and a warm lair, both of which an Underlord can provide.

Behavior in Dungeon: Spitters are, for lack of a better word, animals. Literally, that's what they are. They do not work in a workshop or library unless specifically ordered to, and even then, they make poor workers. You are most likely to find them eating, sleeping, or wandering your dungeon aimlessly, often drifting to sources of water or warmth.

Spitters tend to try to eat things that are smaller than them, so Underlords may have trouble keeping this monster away from more diminutive members of the dungeon. If they start to pick fights with other creatures, feeding them will usually fix the problem.

Battle Style: Support - The Spitter prefers to hang back and launch balls of acid at its enemies. Once it hits level 2, it will rarely, if ever, use Claw anymore, even if engaged in melee combat. The ability is simply too weak to be viable in most situations. Effectively, it is an artillery unit.

Jobs:
Training

Obtainable By: Portal.

Hates: Spitters dont hate things so much as they find little things tasty. Mmmm, Bloodling! Tastes like chicken!

Loves: Water, warmth, sleep, food, and more food.

Anger reaction: The Spitter operates as is normal: It acts upset, then leaves the dungeon if its demands are not met.

Lair: A pile of chewed up bones and other such things.

Appearance: Spitters are four legged, lizard-like creatures with webbed feet and webbed protrusions where a person's ears would be. They have dark green scales and markings that would camouflage them well if they were in a marsh. Bright eyes (blue, yellow, or white) face mostly forward, much as a predator's would. Their limbs are well muscled, and the rest of their body is somewhat plump from all the bodies they eat.

Reference (property of HoMM's creators) - Imagine more muscled legs (and only four of them) and you've got something similar to what I'm describing.

How Introduced: In one of the beginning missions (1-3?), the Spitter is introduced as a basic ranged unit.

Attracted by: Food and a lair.

Entrance Effect: A fog rises out of the portal, followed by the Spitter climbing up.

Torture: The Spitter's mouth is forcibly opened and its tongue stretched out as far as it can be stretched.

Mentor Quotes: You've attracted a Spitter, master. This beast is a worthy member of your dungeon. He'll reduce even the shiniest of plate armor to a sizzling, melting mess, burning the flesh beneath. Hmm... Why don't we introduce him to the Lord of the Land?

I don't have a lot to say about this creature, for once. I think I've summed up its purpose fairly well. Perhaps it shouldn't appear as early as suggested, since I assume that's about when the player would start recruiting Cultists, but it would make a solid beginning stage unit. It's not meant to be anything fancy; its only real unique power comes from its damage types (acid and fire).

So, feel free to start slapping me for suggesting a lizard.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Unfortunately, I don't; I'm terrible at drawing things, no matter how many stick figures I practice with. The best picture I was able to find was the one I linked, with the differences noted.

I may try my hand at it anyway, but the picture I posted comes is close enough for government work.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Unfortunately, I don't; I'm terrible at drawing things, no matter how many stick figures I practice with. The best picture I was able to find was the one I linked, with the differences noted.

I may try my hand at it anyway, but the picture I posted comes is close enough for government work.
Well I can draw and I don't care that you can't draw because, dude there's no judgment here not everyone can do everything but I'm sure you could give us a rough sketch of how you imagine this creature in your mind?:D

Seriously even if it looks like a 4 year old drew it it's still better then nothing because it gives us a basic idea of what it looks like and from there a concept artist could take your drawing and refine it to a more detailed presentation of the creature.:);)

+ I think there are a few people on here that can draw & draw pretty damn well to and would be happy to do a more detailed version of your rough draft hell if I get the time I'd be happy to.

......When I click the link I just get a blank page........ hmm weird.:confused:

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Here, see if this link below works.

http://sdb.drshnaps.com/objects/17/2195/Sprite/GreaterBasilisk.png

Do note that this image is not a perfect, word-for-word picture of the creature I described. However, it has the 'webbed protrusions' I mentioned and a good general shape to start with (though too many legs, and not muscular enough ones, etc.).

If you want to try and draw it, feel free. I can send you a PM with a few more details of how I see it, proportionally speaking, but the image and the description on the creature's first post should suffice.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
I thought the game needed a scaly addition, and this would certainly seem to fit that role.
But...
It needs a little zest. I'm not saying it's boring, (well, not directly anyway [passive-aggressiveness ftw!]) But if it's an acid spitting lizard, it deserves a little personality. I realize it's primal, but it can still have its quirks. As for the appearance, I feel it should be a little more colorful. I.E. bright blues/oranges. Toxic greens in interesting patterns. Just something to catch your eye a little bit. One last thing about the appearance, I can't tell in the provided image if it has a "headfin".

The abilities are good, but they don't agree with the stats. It has above average health and armor, but most of it's abilities place it at range. It may actually be a good melee creature, just give it some acid based melee attacks. I have a few ideas, if you need them just contact me.

Anyway, I like the idea, just needs to be ironed out a bit.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Here, see if this link below works.

http://sdb.drshnaps.com/objects/17/2195/Sprite/GreaterBasilisk.png

Do note that this image is not a perfect, word-for-word picture of the creature I described. However, it has the 'webbed protrusions' I mentioned and a good general shape to start with (though too many legs, and not muscular enough ones, etc.).

If you want to try and draw it, feel free. I can send you a PM with a few more details of how I see it, proportionally speaking, but the image and the description on the creature's first post should suffice.
All good Link worked!

Hmm looks alot like the Australian Frilled-Neck Lizard I like it! Looks way better then the standard Salamander IMO. Further more I gather this would be a more beast like creature? For instance unable to use weapons or items due to a lack of opposable thumbs Also crawls along on it's belly? Or would it be more of a Lizard-Man Bipedal and all?

I ask about the Bipedal thing because I have this great picture in my head of a Lizard-Man beast that vomits acid onto it's spears that it hurls at it's enemies ..... now isn't that cool it coats it's weapon in deadly acid and hurls it at it's target!!:) Man that would just have such a wicked animation!

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
The abilities are good, but they don't agree with the stats. It has above average health and armor, but most of it's abilities place it at range. It may actually be a good melee creature, just give it some acid based melee attacks. I have a few ideas, if you need them just contact me.
I was fairly unsure how I wanted to handle that. I felt that it ought to have above average armor, given its scales, but to compensate I completely removed Luck and give it Poor agility. Still, you present a point, and I would be open to receiving ideas from you. I'll toy with stats on my own for a while, but feel free to provide ability ideas and the like. Please send me a private message.

It needs a little zest. I'm not saying it's boring, (well, not directly anyway [passive-aggressiveness ftw!]) But if it's an acid spitting lizard, it deserves a little personality. I realize it's primal, but it can still have its quirks. As for the appearance, I feel it should be a little more colorful. I.E. bright blues/oranges. Toxic greens in interesting patterns. Just something to catch your eye a little bit.
I understand the zest part, but the colors were chosen expressly for its personality. This creature isn't a bright, proud Pokemon beastie. This is a predator straight out of the marshes that moves through water like a crocodile. (I should probably note that in the description.) Blues and oranges are right out of the picture, in my opinion. Greens, browns and blacks are much more viable, possibly with gray-blues, not bright blues. Toxic Greens... Maybe. I will give this some thought.

Hmm looks alot like the Australian Frilled-Neck Lizard I like it! Looks way better then the standard Salamander IMO. Further more I gather this would be a more beast like creature? For instance unable to use weapons or items due to a lack of opposable thumbs Also crawls along on it's belly? Or would it be more of a Lizard-Man Bipedal and all?
This would be a four-legged amphibian, not a bipedal creature. The reason for this is simple: There seem to be lots of humanoid creatures being suggested for good, evil, and neutral factions on this game. The Spitter is meant to go against that, and to be an obvious "beast."

I ask about the Bipedal thing because I have this great picture in my head of a Lizard-Man beast that vomits acid onto it's spears that it hurls at it's enemies ..... now isn't that cool it coats it's weapon in deadly acid and hurls it at it's target!!:) Man that would just have such a wicked animation!
On the other hand, consider how long such an animation would have to take. First, the creature has to draw the javelin. Then, it has to spit on it. Only then does it actually pull it back and throw it, which would probably realistically take longer than shooting a bow. This would make for a rather slow looking attack that could lead to the creature being killed mid-animation in battle. It would be simpler (and, to me, more fun) to have a lizard vomiting acid out at people.

On the other hand, a javelin-tossing creature could be fun. Perhaps you might experiment with that concept for an idea of your own? Javelins are underused weapons in video games.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I'm currently considering how best to edit this and hoping for an answer in another thread of mine that will help me know how best to edit this creature. I think I may adjust the following stats in the following fashions:

Increase: Attack.
Decrease: Movement Speed, Health, Accuracy.

However, before I do these things, I do want to hear others' opinions on the stats specifically. Any words concerning this would be appreciated.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Statistics updated. Luck removed (it is no longer a stat in this game). This unit now more closely resembles an artillery unit.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Reminds me of a strange little creature off 'Majesty', called a Rust Spitter. Always liked the concept. Would love to see something similar in WftO. :)

Not sure why it was called a 'Rust' Spitter, since it spat acid.

Jan 7, 2012
I think that there should be a balance between beasts and humanoids, the problem of beasts is that its hard to find some more complicated desires and jobs for them...
I like this beast but I think it should have some sort of special dungeon job.
(like eating corpses and getting stronger or something more interesting)
It reminds me of the lindworms they belived in, in the middle ages:
http://www.ubs.sbg.ac.at/sosa/bdm/jonston05.jpg

MrWahloh

Dwarven Worker
May 6, 2012
The Netherlands
I like lizards. Let me admit that straightaway so that it's not a question later. This, therefore, is based off of a lizard-like version of a basalisk, obviously with less stone-gazing and more acid spitting. This is designed to be an early game ranged unit whose unique asset is, of course, acid damage. I think you can find out the rest below.
This made me think about KogMaw, which could be a great model to base it on. There's only one problem though, KogMaw looks to cute it has to be pure evil in WFTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom