• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Creature] Troglodyte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
Name Troglodyte

Preface Heroes games first and foremost, but troglodyte is a very vague term so name can be used on almost anything. Its specialties I put down can even be argued for being cliche, but at the same time I feel this creature in some manner fit very well. Also a few creatures is somewhat alike to my suggestion, but I hope having a few to pick from and mix from will help development.

Appearance image: Froggy blind version
art_troglodyte.jpg
TroglodyteSketch1.jpg

and a reptilan soldier version
Troglodyte_-_Sam_Wood.jpg
made by Sam Wood, I do not own these pictures etc etc. picked from google.

Stats: (Remember: Avoid using numbers for statistics. Use general terms, such as "low", "very low", or "high".)

Health: Medium
Armor: Low
Movement Speed: Medium
Attack strength: Medium
Attack speed: Medium
Intelligence: Very Low
Construction: Very Low
Training Rate: Slow
Training Cost: High
Wage: Very Low
(possible training cost suggestion: medium)

Skills:
Edit: added 2, 7 and 10 as possible abilities, to make the unit more active. 1 and 5 original idea I had.
10 might actually be better as general game mechanic for all creatures under possess/mind control.

Level 1: Melee,
Level 2: Eat mushroom - Grabs a mushroom from backpack to restore a tiny amount of hp, and stop hunger for a while. (Will still wants a hatchery, but at least it will not starve to death while getting back). Long cooldown. Will be used in combat relatively quickly.
Level 5: Passive Horde bonus, 3 or more Troglodytes on lvl 5(+) will trigger this bonus, which makes the horde attack faster (Medium to fast).
Level 7: Distract, throws a mushroom, if enemy targets numbers less than 3 they will stop up and look at mushroom (2 sec), if it lands closely.
Level 10: Possess only ability; Rally, target fellow Troglodytes to join you for wherever you go, max targets: 2.

Weaknesses/Resistances: Because of is natural armor as in thick "froggy" skin it doesnt have weakness for slashing, but do have slight weakness for blunt force trauma. Have quite the natural resistance to poisons/diseasese. Immune to blind/flashbangs/eye cheapshot.

Information: Troglodyte is deacent fighter that you get early or mid game. It's an ugly looking, but
reliable creature that is cheap to maintain thus not one to toss asap, but expensive and slow to level up so the
tactic for doing that is still there. Should you however train it and have more then 3, the horde bonus will shine,
making them a lot more deadly. Their behavior of watching imps/exploring/trap sense makes them usefull even when having 1 or 2 only.

Appearance: On previus note we cud have Troglodyte with a more reptilan look that uses armor and got eyes, but my first vision of it was ugly, blind/eyeless creature that relay on nose and its "6th" dangersense to survive. Wielding short spear/pokeing stick seems appropriate. Edit: Uncertain on what hearing capabilities it should have atm.

Behavior in Dungeon: See jobs. Other then that, it will go to water and drink and eat mushrooms if really bored.

Battle Style: Depending on numbers, 1-2 Troglodytes with a lot of other monsters fighting, it will focus
guarding imps from harm if in the area or if not go for enemy range creatures or defend your own range if under attack. 3 or more and they horde up and stand in the thick of it tanking damage and dealing deacent damage in return, even more so if they got their passive horde bonus.

Jobs: Troglodyte can be put on guard duty and excel, but it loves following imps to see new places and thus guard imps from harm. However if the imps are few or all packed in one spot for work they dont mind exploring within reasonable distance of your kingdom. They will express a ! over them if they sense a trap near where your imps are working or going to work soon. (will not trigger if it's on the other side of wall in a straight corridor). Message to the keeper of some sort when they do from the Advisor?

Loves: Blood Imps and maybe other ugly creatures?

Hates: Dislike CONSTANT slapping of imps, it will become more outraged by seeing imps slapped a lot more then itself. Of course you cud just throw the Troglodytes in the Sanctuary/Lair etc. then slap imps like there is no tomorrow like the evil villain you are.

Anger reaction: Before jumping in the portal it will break its stick in 2 and toss it at the hearth. Hard
to anger, so imps must be having it rough---

Lair: Rocky water pool? Big Damp mushroom? Very open for suggestion here.

Obtainable By: Creature from portal, however Troglodyte can with ease be made a neutral monster. Temple recipe is simple, 3 blood imps?

Attracted by: The defaults, Lair and Hatchery gives a tiny chance for them, however having a small
training room (a room in size 3x3, since they dont excel at it), being very poor on gold (easy lot to please), loads
of workers to guard/watch, water within range of your control, lastly alot of areas dug out will draw their
attention.

How Introduced: Finding them in their typical neutral habitat? Mushrooms and lakebeds.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] Leans on its spear, slowly smelling and sensing the area around it.

Torture: [OPTIONAL] A couple of ideas here; 1 Getting poked with its own spear. 2 Having a bear trap going off next to its head. 3 Voodoo doll of blood imps getting set of fire.

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] Aaah the reliable ugly and the seemingly incompetent Troglodyte! A creature with wierd facination of blood imps, exploration, damp caverens and mushrooms. Being eyeless have its benefit in a dark dungeon, have no doubt of that, because it can sense traps and dangers to a degree. Dont worry keeper, it will not shout it's a trap! I will be doing that mohaha!.. Defending it's as in yours territory, it will put up a fierce fight, even more so in trained numbers.

Range version would be much the same, throwing javelin; however skillset I see for them a bit more suited for range.
Troglodyte Skirmisher

Level 1: Melee
Level 1: Throw spear.
Level 4: Same horde bonus as above.
Level 5: Harpoon Strike. Throws a harpoon like spear that is chained to their arm/hands that skirmisher will use to pull the creature they hit halfway towards the skirmisher of the total distance between target and user. They will automatically throw Harpoon Strike on smaller/light/medium targets that are fleeing or creatures with low hp targets trying stay away from the heat (enemy range/support) Clear shot is needed; hitting a big target will yield only same damage as normal spear throw.
Striking the ceiling will pull Troglodyte Skirmisher 2 tiles forwards, neat for crossing lava rivers. Will mostly be used like a blink like spell for Troglodytes to move faster and only to explore neutral lands. (Will not use to cross into enemy territory and get killed.)

So there we have it, what properties are keepers and not?

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
I like it I think it fits in, the second picture is more of what I'd like to see in the game. I was thinking of suggesting some sort of creature that relies solely on its sense of smell so this one seems perfect.

Do they have the ability to hear?

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
I like it I think it fits in, the second picture is more of what I'd like to see in the game. I was thinking of suggesting some sort of creature that relies solely on its sense of smell so this one seems perfect.

Do they have the ability to hear?
Funny enough I forgot to write that down or think about it, but I guess they should have average sound sense or hearing. Of course that can be up to forum to decide.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
Funny enough I forgot to write that down or think about it, but I guess they should have average sound sense or hearing. Of course that can be up to forum to decide.
I think it would be cool if they just have their sense of touch and smell. Absolutely no sight nor sound. But hey that's just my thoughts! I also think it would be pretty cool to play on that when they're being tortured, not sure how maybe someone else could think of a suggestion for that.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
The good thing about suggestion humanoid creatures is that you can change their weapon setup to be whatever you want. The good thing about suggesting monstrous humanoid creatures is that they make the dungeon feel more like a menagerie of beasts than just a bunch of demihumans sitting around campfires.

I like this idea. I'd honestly go with the first image for inspiration, because the lack of eyes and the frog-like texture separate it from humanity AND from what you normally see in a video game. Heroes of Might and Magic may have drawn inspiration from the same places most fantasy games do, but the troglodyte was one of their creatures that they simply drew up beautifully.

One last thing: You may consider making a ranged version of this creature. Namely, I'd think of it as a javelineer. It may seem silly, given that the creature is blind, but if its other senses more than compensate for that blindness, it's entirely possible to throw and shoot things accurately in the close quarters of a dungeon. The reason I suggest making a ranged version is solely because I think the developers are more interested in non-melee combatants at this time. NOTE: This does not mean you SHOULDN'T have a melee version ready, only that you should also have some ranged attack ideas listed.

You may want to look over at https://subterraneangames.com/threads/isnt-the-old-format-old-now.805/ - a thread I made because we're actually supposed to be using a new suggestion format. Someone (COUGH COUGH, RUDE-ELBOW-JAB) hasn't updated the stickied format thread yet. So, while you can keep your information in your current format for now, I'd go with the same ability guidelines: Three active abilities and at least one passive ability.

This is a very simple, solid suggestion you've made, and it fits perfectly into a subterranean realm. I like it.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
The good thing about suggestion humanoid creatures is that you can change their weapon setup to be whatever you want. The good thing about suggesting monstrous humanoid creatures is that they make the dungeon feel more like a menagerie of beasts than just a bunch of demihumans sitting around campfires.

I like this idea. I'd honestly go with the first image for inspiration, because the lack of eyes and the frog-like texture separate it from humanity AND from what you normally see in a video game. Heroes of Might and Magic may have drawn inspiration from the same places most fantasy games do, but the troglodyte was one of their creatures that they simply drew up beautifully.

One last thing: You may consider making a ranged version of this creature. Namely, I'd think of it as a javelineer. It may seem silly, given that the creature is blind, but if its other senses more than compensate for that blindness, it's entirely possible to throw and shoot things accurately in the close quarters of a dungeon. The reason I suggest making a ranged version is solely because I think the developers are more interested in non-melee combatants at this time. NOTE: This does not mean you SHOULDN'T have a melee version ready, only that you should also have some ranged attack ideas listed.

You may want to look over at https://subterraneangames.com/threads/isnt-the-old-format-old-now.805/ - a thread I made because we're actually supposed to be using a new suggestion format. Someone (COUGH COUGH, RUDE-ELBOW-JAB) hasn't updated the stickied format thread yet. So, while you can keep your information in your current format for now, I'd go with the same ability guidelines: Three active abilities and at least one passive ability.

This is a very simple, solid suggestion you've made, and it fits perfectly into a subterranean realm. I like it.
I feel like the first one isn't menacing enough if I'm honest. The second one however looks pretty scary whilst also keeping the ugly look which, in my opinion, the first one doesn't have. A ranged version would be excellent due to lack of other senses they've evolved to have an extremely good sense of smell which would allow them to hit targets from afar with pin point accuracy, or maybe not accurate but you get what I mean. I'm not really sure what they could use as a ranged weapon, maybe a sort of sling with rocks or a dart gun kinda thing? But I'm fully behind a ranged version.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I'd still stand behind javelin tossing. Chucking large spears at your enemy is a scary thing.

And it's not as menacing, perhaps, but I still like the first picture more, especially if it reveals rows upon rows of sharklike teeth when angry or fighting. But it's just a question of preference, and both pictures are lovely.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
Oh don't get me wrong I'd be scared if I was getting spears chucked at me! I'm just thinking in terms of what would THEY use and spears aren't the first things that come to mind. I know it isn't as scary if you've got a slingshot type thing but I just think it suits them more haha. You make a good point if they've got rows of sharklike teeth they would indeed be very menacing!

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
The good thing about suggestion humanoid creatures is that you can change their weapon setup to be whatever you want..
(Slicing it a bit so I feel post don’t get to long for what I have to say ^^ )

I’m glad that I’m not alone in feeling Troglodyte fits in, and thanks all for feedback!
I will consider making range version of this, possible just increase the original post. Just need to think of some nifty abilities first. 3 actives almost seems much when the creature already has some features about it as baseline. :D

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
There are a lot of low tier horde style minions like this in the running such as goblins and kobolds, and I don't think there's any way they could all be included; however I think the troglodyte is a strong contender. He is a slightly better fit aesthetically in my opinion, and a bit more uncommon.

One thing I would change is the high training cost however. You are likely to come across them early game when you do not have a lot of gold to spare, and later when you can afford it you will have less use for them. Also if they are supposed to be good in numbers you will want to train a lot of them which will be crippling financially, for what I imagine will only be a slight buff.

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
There are a lot of low tier horde style minions like this in the running such as goblins and kobolds, and I don't think there's any way they could all be included; however I think the troglodyte is a strong contender. He is a slightly better fit aesthetically in my opinion, and a bit more uncommon.

One thing I would change is the high training cost however. You are likely to come across them early game when you do not have a lot of gold to spare, and later when you can afford it you will have less use for them. Also if they are supposed to be good in numbers you will want to train a lot of them which will be crippling financially, for what I imagine will only be a slight buff.

Thanks for feedback; it’s entirely possible training cost on medium is enough.
I just wanted to make sure the creature wasn’t the obvious choice for steamrolling enemy simply by stats alone when I made it. :D
And I did notice a lot of contenders for low/mid-tier melee creatures, but if I felt like airing some ideas on how to make this creature of this tier unique in some aspects. Such as caring for workers, looks and behavior.

Evi

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Ahaaa. I did a suggestion like this long ago. Heroes of Might and Magic 3's Troglodytes were awesome. Didn't like how they looked in the fourth game.

Anyhow, I'm just coming on by, dropping another piece of artwork for the Troglodyte if you want another one, it's a old piece when WftO was Dungeon Keeper, with Horny.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/373/troggy.jpg

Jun 27, 2012
The game Dungeon Siege has troglodytes that seem a bit of a mix between picture 2 and 3, I quite liked those.

will

Bloodling
Dec 6, 2012
Lewes
Ahaaa. I did a suggestion like this long ago. Heroes of Might and Magic 3's Troglodytes were awesome. Didn't like how they looked in the fourth game.

Anyhow, I'm just coming on by, dropping another piece of artwork for the Troglodyte if you want another one, it's a old piece when WftO was Dungeon Keeper, with Horny.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/373/troggy.jpg
Love the look of that one.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Oh. This whole time, when you folks were saying "picture 2," I thought you were referring to the lean one with eyeballs. I meant the one that looks slavering mad.

...Don't ask me how I forgot to count.

Shock

Disciple
Dec 7, 2012
So, I have updated with a small brainstorm on abilities and range version. Btw nice find Evi, kind of reminds me of the upgraded version of Troglodytes in H3. ^^

Here is a few more pictures for those too lazy for Google; upgraded, and color version of the pic 2.
Creature_troggy2.png
TroglodyteConcept color.jpg

Eric_shadowblade

Warden
WFTO Founder
Dec 23, 2012
earth
theirs been talk of them only having the sense of smell and touch id like to add a third and a must thermal vison being able to see the body heat of its prey in a dark cool cavern makes it able to pick out and take down prey before the even dectect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom