• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[creature] Wyvern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
Name: Wyvern

Appearance images: (for inspiration)

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/165/7/1/Wyvern_by_chellevaper.jpg

http://th03.deviantart.net/images3/PRE/i/2005/154/9/0/Wyvern_by_brightcat13527.jpg

Stats:

Health: high
Armor: medium
Movement Speed: medium
Attack strength: medium-high
Attack speed:medium
Intelligence: doesn't research
Construction: doesn't manufacture
Training Rate: medium
Training Cost: high
Wage: moderate

Skills:

level 1: At level one the wyvern attacks using a combination of biting, slashing, and whipping with its barbed tale

level 4: Poison Spit - the wyvern spits a ball of poison inflicting moderate poison damage ///medium cool down time.

level 5: paralyzing tale whip: The wyvern is capable of paralyzing low-mid level creatures with a powerful tale whip, as well as inflicting moderate slashing damage damage [moderate cool down time]

level 7: All of the Wyverns melee attacks deal additional poison damage for 20 seconds. The additional poison damage is moderate and the abilities cool down time is long.

level 8: the wyvern can spew a stream of poison inflicting high poison damage, also this poison can stick to the ground, anybody walking into it will take low damage. your creatures can be effected by it too; it has a long cool down time.

level 10: Toxic Smoke Cloud - The wyvern breaths a large cloud of toxic smoke, which slows down enemy units and reduces their accuracy, esp ranged attacks, as well as inflicting constant moderate poison damage to everyone when caught within the smoke. The drawback to this ability is that it also hurts your creatures. This isn't an ability that the wyvern will use often, it will use it against creatures with a lot of ranged attacks to reduce their accuracy or if the Wyvern feels outnumbered and needs to make an escape. long cool down time.

Weaknesses: nothing/resistances: poison

Behavior in Dungeon: The wyvern does not have a large agenda, it doesn't research or manufacture, it spends most of its time training sleeping, guarding and ofcourse eating. The wyvern is teratorial and doesn't like being around most creatures, not even other wyverns. They like to be on their own, especially when it comes to sleeping and guarding. In the lair they will make their beds isolated from your other creatures, or in a different lair entirerly. Wyverns might get annoyed with creatures that wander too close to its lair while trying to sleep, this includes other wyverns.

Battle Style: blitzer

Jobs: training///guarding

Obtainable By: portal

Hates: Well it does hate it when creatures get near its lair while resting, other than that it doesn't hate much else, it dislikes most creatures but it doesn't hate them.

Loves: nothing

Anger reaction: leave

Lair: a pool of poisonous liquid or a den made from bones, the bones are glued together with its saliva

Appearance: The wyverns appearance is a winged reptilian creature with two legs, a dragons head and a barbed tale.

How Introduced: The creature is a mid-late game unit. So it definitely won't be met early on.

Attracted by: training room, lair, guard room

Feb 9, 2012
This seems more like a dragon than a wyvern. Wyverns are usually a lot smaller than dragons with long necks, usually green and can't breath fire.
It can't breath fire? hmmm I had it in my mind that wyverns were a different type of dragon, they do look quite similar. No matter I could change its spells so they aren't fire based.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Call it a dragon, drake, wyvern, whatever you like: It's a flying reptile that breathes fire. It's cool. Of course, if you ask me, I never did feel a creature that depends on flight and has massive wings should be in a cramped, low-roof dungeon, but... Eh.

Personally, I see the wyvern and dragon as being entirely separate entities. Maybe the wyvern is focused more on physical attacks than on fire. Maybe it spits acid, swings its tail at its enemies, and uses its long neck to make longer-reach melee attacks. Maybe it uses these to maximum advantage against heavy, slow melee creatures, maximizing distance between itself and its foes.

There's nothing wrong with a fire-breathing reptile, but if you're going to give it wings, you might as well make it a dragon.

Feb 9, 2012
Or simply rename it "Dragon". It's not like the concept of a Dragon is subject to copyright, it's completely public domain.
I agree with you 100% on that, dragons are a popular myth and are definatly not subject to copyrite. However I would like to keep the wyvern, wyverns are a neat creature and are not used often. and if the fact that this wyvern can breath fire is inacurate I can easily change its abilities and make them non fire based.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
Call it a dragon, drake, wyvern, whatever you like: It's a flying reptile that breathes fire. It's cool. Of course, if you ask me, I never did feel a creature that depends on flight and has massive wings should be in a cramped, low-roof dungeon, but... Eh.

Personally, I see the wyvern and dragon as being entirely separate entities. Maybe the wyvern is focused more on physical attacks than on fire. Maybe it spits acid, swings its tail at its enemies, and uses its long neck to make longer-reach melee attacks. Maybe it uses these to maximum advantage against heavy, slow melee creatures, maximizing distance between itself and its foes.

There's nothing wrong with a fire-breathing reptile, but if you're going to give it wings, you might as well make it a dragon.
Hence drake (dragon young) or a wyvern. Both, being smaller than full grown dragons (about the size of 1-2 DK2 tiles) would make more sense as they are smaller and would fit better.

I agree with you 100% on that, dragons are a popular myth and are definatly not subject to copyrite. However I would like to keep the wyvern, wyverns are a neat creature and are not used often. and if the fact that this wyvern can breath fire is inacurate I can easily change its abilities and make them non fire based.
It's not that it's wrong as it's impossible to be 'wrong' about things that don't exist, but it's not the classically defined wyvern.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Hence drake (dragon young) or a wyvern. Both, being smaller than full grown dragons (about the size of 1-2 DK2 tiles) would make more sense as they are smaller and would fit better.
I understand, but... Allow me to give a nerd talk for a moment.

For a large, muscular creature like a dragon (young or otherwise) or a wyvern to be able to fly, they need some pretty big wings. The wingspan has to be laaaarge to support those frames as they fly, considering their size. See, certain animal frames don't work the same as they grow bigger or smaller. Insects, for instance, would collapse under their weight if they were human sized, and so on.

For a flying, scale-covered reptile with claws and taut muscle to be able to fly, it would need wingspan that it would not be able to stretch out and use in a dungeon setting is my point.

A drake forced to walk could work for this creature, but my question, then, is why not simply call it a dragon and explain in the description that it's a YOUNG dragon? Not everyone knows what a drake is, but practically everyone that would buy this game knows what a dragon is. It's easier to recognize, and you're not changing the image either way. You're just changing the name.

Feb 9, 2012

i kinda like that idea, so if a dragon does make it in this game the wyvern could be a completely different creature and focus more on melee. although I did have the idea of keeping its ranged abillities but changing its fireballs to energy balls and replacing its firebreath to an energy beam that it sweeps with for a few seconds. However your idea for it being melee based works too.

Consider this, Skyrim had no dragons. Not strictly speaking, physiologically they were Wyverns. However they could breath fire, and ice and all sorts. It's fantasy, if you want to have a Wyvern that breathes fire, then so be it! Plus, if you go just off some of the internet material, Wyverns have been told to have the ability to breath noxious gas. Though, that's not nearly as impressive as HYPER BEAM!

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I have to agree there - nothing stops you from letting them breathe fire, magic, frost... Whatever you want. However, I do believe that the best possible result would be for there to be both wyverns and dragons; however, that's a tad doubtful to happen, I think.

My opinion remains the same about the name, though. If you make it fire-breathing, it's most recognizable as a dragon. Otherwise, dragon, drake, wyvern, or... anything works fine.

Feb 9, 2012
I thinks it time I update the wyvern, since I've ignored this post for some time.

I am planning on a dragon creature suggestion so I have changed the wyverns abilities (the last ones were dragon like). This new wyvern now does poison attacks instead of fire and also its behavior has been changed as well. Also, this time around I would like the feedback to be about the suggestion itself and not a conversation about the differences between Wyverns and dragons like last time.

Jan 22, 2012
Seems legit. Would change training rate to high and wage to high. But that is cosmetic stuff. He could also get flying

Lore wise : My super picky side tries to rage why wyvern is in underground but that would bring useless quarrels ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom