• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cross-map global variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Oh dear. This is the sort of suggestion that makes me all itchy inside and out.

I was reading the transcript, and about 2/3 through it, it comments on the campaign and the question mentions choices. One concern that I had is that if a modder making their own campaign did want the player to be able to make choices, there should be a way to account for at least a few places where a variable can be defined and set within a custom "campaign" housing a series of maps, each with their own scripts attached to them, but with a script file attached to the campaign lying outside of the individual maps.

That way, one would be able to write to that campaign script buffer or whatever it is while playing to record a value corresponding to something the player did. For example, suppose on the map #10 of your campaign, if you killed 250 creatures in map #6, it would reward you with a powerful ally. Something to that effect.

Without this global variable, we wouldn't be able to do something like that at all.

If this is already a planned feature, then I apologize for something.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
hmmm interesting thing this.

im adding this in the MISC. section since it does not really fit in anyting else.
im in favor for something like this but since im not a programmer (and i will most likely never make my own campaign(because i dont think i can achieve any quality in that)) its irrelevant to me , and i cant think of abetter way to do it ;)

trasapa

Warden
WFTO Founder
Feb 12, 2013
Sweden
This is a really good suggestion and something i'm hoping to see. Probably its already in the game for the story mode, hopefully the devs can make it available to the modders.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Yeah. I'm actually more than willing to bet that our kindly and diligent Devs have already implemented something to this effect (and more-so) into the foundation of Dungeoneer, as it would be unwise not to have it. I really only made this suggestion from sheer abject paranoia, because, naturally, we have absolutely no idea if this has been implemented yet. It probably has, but it's the what ifs that kill ya.

Jan 3, 2013
For campaign developers, such thing would be nice. Hope it won't take too much time or delay the general development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom