• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Defense] Eye of the Underlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Highlight: The Eye of the Underlord is ever watchful for intruders. Upon spotting such interlopers it will send a telepathic alert to notify the Underlord and nearby minions of the intrusion. However, the Eye is far from defenseless and will begin firing bolts of magical energy at foes that will stun them for a time.
Vein: Greed or Sloth
Appearance: Somewhat of a twisted version of Sauron's tower from LOTR. It has a stone or metal base with the eye floating in the top area, but the eye itself is not made of pure magical energy like in LOTR and is instead made of the same material as the base, but does have a magical looking iris and pupil.
Cost: Medium gold, powered by taking some of the Underlord's Mana Pool.
Utility: The Eye of the Underlord is an alarm trap that does more than just alert you, it actually defends your territory by stunning enemies. They can aid your minions in battle by stunning an enemy now and then, or one alone can simply keep a key section of territory from being taken over by enemy workers by stunning them before they can claim it.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Sounds cool, might also be interesting if you could hit a hotkey or something and actually see though the eye itself (that would kinda be like possessing your own dungeon CCTV).

Jun 26, 2013
Nice idea, it would be good to have a sensory trap. I'm not sure if it being able to attack would make it too powerful? Maybe just a stun would do?

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I like the idea of possessing it, simply as an Easter egg, much like possessing micro pigs is :) I'd say rather than waste a hotkey,just possess it using the spell. Giving it some form of defensive purpose seems ok, just as long as its weak

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Yeah Possessing it would be awesome, and so would the stun ability. Personally i'd rather see it just stun with little (or preferably no) damage and instead focus on notifying the player. Maybe the Mentor could say something like "I spy with your little eye, a enemy in your midsts" and there would be a notification which would scroll you directly to that point on screen when clicked.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Possessing it would be a great easter egg for sure, and what would be more awesome is that when possessed it has a beam of light where the eye is targeting like in the LOTR movie.

Evi

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
I been thinking that this would be a nice 'Sentry Gun', but that's just me. This is gold!

I love it.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I agree with the opinion that the eye should not be capable of dealing damage to the enemy - a very brief stun effect (that is insufficient for a stun-lock) should be enough to give the Underlord time to reroute his attention to the invader in question. Alternatively, you could make it so that assuming direct control over the eye via possession would allow you attack enemies with it - so you get alarmed by the eye, set your rallying banner next to it and then take control of the eye to keep the enemy busy until your own minions arrive.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I intentionally left out damage of the design - if it did damage then it would be too powerful. The only other potential issue is that having too many of them in one area could be overpowered against large forces, which is why I added the mana pool cost to it so as to limit how many you'd want to have, and adding damage would only make that worse. Stunning enemies is more powerful than many people realize.

MarcelN

Bloodling
Jun 13, 2013
I really do like this idea!! Especially the possession part of it. On it's own some stunning and when possessed shooting fireballs and stuff.. Love it!!

I was thinking that maybe, to keep it from being overpowered, you could implement it in the Guardroom (DK), if such a room is gonna be in WftO. One Eye per 9 or 12 tiles of guardroom.. This way the eyes don't come too easy or too cheap!

Jan 7, 2012
Thet reminds me of the sentry traps froom the old zelda games. These eyes on sockets were spinning, so that there was a chance to trick them. Maybe this could be a part to serve the balance. They are slowly spinning, so even the ai could sometimes bypass them, also you would need to build a 3x3 area to make them effective.
Or like MarcelN said just make em part of the warding chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom