• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Defense] The Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Well it's kind of an offensive trap as opposed to a defense but I think defense is the best way to classify it.

Basically it takes the appearance of a spellbook or something similar (or ideally it'd look and work like the WFTO equivalent of the dungeon specials that imps used to collect and drag back to your library in DK1/2)

And basically an underlord would place the trap somewhere tempting to enemy imps, then when they found it, they'd merrily carry it off back to their base and it would act like a camera or something, giving a small field of vision wherever it was. The enemy imp basically giving you a quick tour of his base before dropping your trap off in the nearest library or whatever room. It would probably also drain mana once placed to help balance it and stop it being spammed (although a room full of them is probably a dead giveaway that its a trick anyway).

The second and most fun part would be when the enemy underlord tried to use the "dungeon special" he'd collected. Rather than the advertised effect (i.e it would say something like "Increase Level" or "Make Creatures Happy" when mouse rolled over), it would instead inflict a random (and not too powerful) negative effect, something like causing all the micropiglets in the enemy's base to explode or perhaps exploding within the library and messing it up, causing the cultists to have to clean up for a few minutes rather than actually research, making a single nearby creature angry... you get the idea. And of course it would inform the underlord who built the trap that it had activated and perhaps even show a quick message to the unlucky underlord who activated it saying "Underlord [insert name here] hopes you enjoy this little gift".

In short, it would benefit the player who built it with a small amount of temporary visual information until it was activated at the cost of a mana drain, and would then have a small negative effect on the enemy who tried to use it. It would certainly make multiplayer interesting, especially if "real" dungeon specials appeared in levels and had proper beneficial effects when used. It leaves a player wondering... is this actually a proper special or am I about to get a nasty shock if I activate this.

It's one of those sort of ideas which is more about the relationship between players rather than defending against the actual creatures. Which personally I think is a nice part of multiplayer gameplay that kind of gets missed in most games, that bit of taunting and trickery between the players.

NOTE: Although it's kinda of similar to the Jack-in-the-Box trap from DK2 it would never be as powerful as that, it wouldn't ever do anything as powerful as damage the enemies dungeon nexus or directly harm the creatures.

Anyway what do you guys think?

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
In regards to being a special imitator, I'd be instantly suspicious of any special I got that was on an enemy's claimed land if this trap was implemented. Also, how would I get rid of it without using it?

I do like the idea of it being a way to gather information. One alternative might be to make the trap plant a magical parasite into the imp, making it so you can see what the imp sees.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Well the simple answer would be that you wouldn't be able to get rid of it, without activating the effect. Assuming it was a trap and you knew that it was. Leaving it in your library would mean that ok they can see your library but it's also being a constant drain on their mana too, so by not using it you're kind of using it against them. Or do a sort of "controlled explosion" where you clear the room of creatures then use it, reducing the chances of its effect affecting them. Obviously if it was supposed to affect a creature and there are none nearby then it would just activate with no effect (basically stopping the vision effect without any negative consequences for you)

Perhaps the actual activation drains a large amount of mana from the trap creator. Meaning you could save the trap to activate at a useful opportunity (like when you're about to attack and draining his mana would be handy)

Your point about being instantly suspicious is a good one, i'll have to have a think about that. I mean it would depend on the special, if it was something like a "Make Happy" then perhaps the underload is waiting to have a lot of angry creatures, but why would he save an "Increase Level" special unless its a trap.

Perhaps one solution is to make it that placing the trap reverts that particular area of ground to unclaimed land and rather than it being placed within the underlord's main dungeon you'd make an "secret looking area" and place it there.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I had similar idea except
it would resemble does question marked boxes from Dk
and when you clicked on it
it would act as portal in which the ennemy could send some troops

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
In regards to being a special imitator, I'd be instantly suspicious of any special I got that was on an enemy's claimed land if this trap was implemented.
This. I've never seen the Jack-in-the-box trap in actual DK2 multiplayer action, but with very few specials available in multiplayer maps to begin with, you can kind of count on any special you do encounter to be a trap. The whole mechanic of claiming land and such simply just doesn't work well with stealth play in that sense.

Now if you could come up with a work-around for this problem, you open up a door to a room full of possibilities. Then we're talking.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Basically the Jack in the box in dk2 looked like a dungeon special.. and when an enemy imp tried to pick it up.. it popped up.. literally scaring the imp to death.. it then grew legs, ran to the enemy keeprs heart and exploded there.. damaging it.

I used to rig up entire rooms with a switch linked to like 20 of them and once an imp set them off it'd be game over enemy keeper so yeah that was seriously OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom