• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Different Cultural Kingdoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2013
Parts Unknown
Probably more of an expansion idea. Future campaigns could take place against kingdoms with roots in ancient Egypt, Japan, China, Greece, Aztecs, etc. You could gain or lose access to certain new and old monsters depending on the region too. Fighting samurai, zen masters, hoplites, or other unique units and lords would be super cool. Each also has a wealth of native monsters for dungeon units.
Some Example monsters:
http://acidcow.com/pics/11903-japanese-monsters-36-pics.html
http://chinahub.blogspot.com/2008/04/legendary-ancient-chinese-monster.html
http://www.theoi.com/Bestiary.html

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
One the one hand, I like the basis of the idea - different regions with different cultural backgrounds would make for very interesting DLC or expansion ideas, but at the same time, many real-world cultures have been so overused by the video game industry that they imho would feel very bland, particularly the Greek/Nordic/Egyptian themes. Still, there are those who have seen relatively little spotlight - I'd really like to see kingdoms with Atzec or maybe Ancient Middle-Eastern (Babylonian/Assyrian) mythological elements.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Just my opinion, but I must admit, I am personally not so keen on this idea, because I feel the original style of the game could easily loose its identity if real cultural styles were used. Still, might be fun to see mods which use cultural themes.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
yeah im with Medjay on this it could always made in a Dunegoneer skin.
otherwise it would be nice if we get some "other-culture" inspired Units (not the whole set in other skins) like the Samurai or a mummy or something.

----> misc

toffeejay

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Personally I'd prefer just to keep it more fantasy based. Albeit that 'fantasy based' mainly means early medieval Europe.

The main point for me would avoiding any religious iconography or specific cultural symbols. I don't mind having a samurai but I don't want a Japanese samurai, he's an Overworld samurai.
I want to feel that however they look, they are from a fantasy Overworld and not a specific or a series of specific historical countries.

Apr 10, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well the fantasy hero faction as it is portrayed is a version of generic medieval european culture. I love the designs for existing units. I just would like to see a similar treatment of different cultures they wouldn't be Japanese just stylistically similar. A fantasy version of a non-european culture would be a good way to expand the game. I would also argue that fantasy doesn't just include medieval europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom