• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Different languages

Jan 7, 2012
Someone shall correct me if im wrong, but there will be translations for french, german and some other languages. (The voice acting not included) But I think fanmade translations wont be too difficult to make with dungeoneer;)

Dec 26, 2012
Maebashi-shi, Gunma, Japan
Hello there! I am bilingual Italian-English and would love to help out with the Italian translation should there be one!
It said to contact the forum to get on the bandwagon... I am also a dk 1+2 fan (played Dk1 at the age of 8! haha) so would love to make a contribution to get the game as much out there as possible!

Sadrax

Templar
WFTO Founder
Dec 26, 2012
if it's possible i can translate to Polish. for my defence i can only add that i'm a big fantasy fan (AD&D, witcher, DK1+2, LotR)

Vagos

Priestess
Dec 14, 2012
I can support you on Greek language as a native speaker. Please let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Jan 2, 2013
Fan translations are scary; I wonder what the quality of those texts would be. I mean no offence but I am quite sure that people in a gaming community do not have enough qualification and linguistic skills to translate well. There's a reason why many professionals actually undertake university studies to do this type of work properly.

It's unfortunate that most people have such low regard for translation and think that it is an easy task which anyone who "knows" two languages can do.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Yes and No. Most larger game companies offer localized versions of the game, including audio dubs. However, the latter often are of lackluster quality (or outright bad), as the developers are unwilling to spend overly much money on 6 or more different sets of voice actors. Resulting from this, many players who do not have English as their first language prefer to stay with the original English dub - in combination with subtitles in their respective language, say, German or Italian.

For instance, take a look at these two versions of the Dawn of War II Intro - the original English Version and the German Dub. I personally think the German voices of the Force Commander and the other Space Marines sound absolutely terrible. Additionally, many phrases simply can not be directly translated and thus are either "lost in translation" or are translated into phrases that sound very awkward.

[English Version]

[German Version]

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
This sounds like a FAQ quick to the FAQ mobile!

Just added this answer to the community FAQ, posting it here for relevence!

It is the intentions of the Developers that the game be supported in as many languages as possible. Due to the fact that the team is international it is possible to them to directly translate into several languages. Moving forward there will be a poll on localisation and the team will be doing their best to have it done both professionally and through crowd-sourced translation. French and German text localisation has been confirmed. (Source 1) (Source 2) (Source 3)

Vagos

Priestess
Dec 14, 2012
Fan translations are scary; I wonder what the quality of those texts would be. I mean no offence but I am quite sure that people in a gaming community do not have enough qualification and linguistic skills to translate well. There's a reason why many professionals actually undertake university studies to do this type of work properly.

It's unfortunate that most people have such low regard for translation and think that it is an easy task which anyone who "knows" two languages can do.

You are right, but still it can be done by having teams instead of single persons. Moreover if you love a game you can offer the best possible translation using your past knowledge on the game and not translation by the book. An official translator cannot polish his translations since he doesnt have the knowledge of the game.

That's my opinion.

Top Bottom