• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Door] Obsidian Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Highlight: A black crystallised door which is fairly strong. All magic fired at the door bounces off it
Vein: Greed/Sloth [anyone have any advice on which they think would be most appropriate?]
How does it work: Works just like any ordinary door. All magic spells which hit the door bounce off and can hit the caster back in the face or anything in between. Essentially, it is a magic resistant door which can cause issues for casters.

WARNING! The following image contains highly graphical images of a caster's face being incinerated.

obsidian door example 2.jpg

Of course, the door wouldn't actually look like that door above (I dont know about you guys, but I'm not sure that my image is quite in the style that SG is going for), but that's the theory.

Appearance: A door sculpted out of cool black obsidian crystal

Last edited:

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
I like the Idea of a reflective door. I also like your proposed material. Obsidian is a glass like material, that is quite sturdy. If the door has moderate thickness, you'd need a pickaxe or a pneumatic drill to get through. Obsidian is a beautiful material for vases and ornaments. It could be used for a door, theoretically, but the material tends to shatter if it's hit by a blunt weapon.
I can link a video of a man, who crafts himself a blade out of obsidian.
The Magic Door in DK2 had some similarity to the suggested obsidian door, but instead of actively attacking enemies, the door would just reflect spells. I would build this door to defend against enemy mages, but a Juggernaut is this door's nightmare. I think it should have a moderate cost to make up for the craftsmanship and material, but it shouldn't be very expensive, since physical attackers see this door only as a minor delay and even enthusiastic spellcasters would switch to meleé attacks eventually.
Except casters have no standard meleé attack, but a magic based ranged autoattack. In this case, they would be doomed to kill themselves. If this door can't be taken down by casters, then it would be better than having Superman employed as a doorman. You could even create a sadistic guessing game for enemy mages:" One door leads to my Dungeon core and one door leads to your demise"
"But there is only one door!" "Exactly!"
But jokes aside, we'd need clarification whether or not every unit has a normal meleé attack or not. Otherwise I think the suggestion itself is pretty good. There would possibly be some adjustment to the door's HP, but that aside the magic reflecting obsidian door seems good.

I like the Idea of a reflective door. I also like your proposed material. Obsidian is a glass like material, that is quite sturdy. If the door has moderate thickness, you'd need a pickaxe or a pneumatic drill to get through. Obsidian is a beautiful material for vases and ornaments. It could be used for a door, theoretically, but the material tends to shatter if it's hit by a blunt weapon.
I can link a video of a man, who crafts himself a blade out of obsidian.
The Magic Door in DK2 had some similarity to the suggested obsidian door, but instead of actively attacking enemies, the door would just reflect spells. I would build this door to defend against enemy mages, but a Juggernaut is this door's nightmare. I think it should have a moderate cost to make up for the craftsmanship and material, but it shouldn't be very expensive, since physical attackers see this door only as a minor delay and even enthusiastic spellcasters would switch to meleé attacks eventually.
Except casters have no standard meleé attack, but a magic based ranged autoattack. In this case, they would be doomed to kill themselves. If this door can't be taken down by casters, then it would be better than having Superman employed as a doorman. You could even create a sadistic guessing game for enemy mages:" One door leads to my Dungeon core and one door leads to your demise"
"But there is only one door!" "Exactly!"
But jokes aside, we'd need clarification whether or not every unit has a normal meleé attack or not. Otherwise I think the suggestion itself is pretty good. There would possibly be some adjustment to the door's HP, but that aside the magic reflecting obsidian door seems good.
Hah I like Your comments when they comes to science Casrigator, I always trying to make suggestions working like in reality. :)

I don't know if suggestion of rebouncing magic spells door has been made before, but I like this idea, especially of door that is very hard to break off by physical power and invulnerable to magic missiles. I thought when I play first time DK 1 that magic door has the same ability, but it hadn't, so it would be nice to see it in the game. I think these doors should be very expensive, especially that if these door is fully resistant to magic it's not weak to physical power.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I've a feeling the coders would cringe at trying to make this. It's definitely an interesting idea, though. Plus, the suggestion was worth reading just because of that comic.

Jun 28, 2012
Except casters have no standard meleé attack, but a magic based ranged autoattack. In this case, they would be doomed to kill themselves. If this door can't be taken down by casters, then it would be better than having Superman employed as a doorman.
Well, in DK2 the warlock & wizard could hit with their staffs for a basic melee attack. Im sure even the most adept magic users should be able to punch things if they run out of mana, although that would hurt like hell to punch a block of solid obsidian. Regardless, You get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom