• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Door] Secret Passage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secret Passage
Tricky door, what they hides? This door requires some Sins unlocked, cost average and are quite tough.

Stats
Highlight: Secret Passage that could let Your actions being unnoticed, unseen.
Vein: Greed or Sloth or both
How does it Work: Like common door, but opens by rotating about it's vertical axis only.

Appearance: When placed it turns to a room/calimed path wall-appearance, so as if there is no door, but a wall. What a fake... It changes it's look like an any wall changes normally, like to the one of the form here (except gold blocks etc. only ground and fortified walls):

When the ally creature comes close enough door opens like well known secret door in library:

Optional addons
- It could be recognized by a small thing in it, but it could totally ruin the effect of being secret.

Very useful when
- You want to hide precious room, or corridor with that You dig to the enemy's dungeon etc.
- You want to mislead enemies
- You have not problems with seeing

It's not recommended when
- You need to have rooms fully fortified
- You have problems with seeing
- You're afraid of enemy's intelligence

I hope You You like it. I encourage You to talk about this suggestion. :)

Only I know is defence replacement wall, but it makes a wall not passage and illusionary wall where it has almost the same, but is disappears when someone's goes through that illusion. Here You have a door. Did You thought about those two I mentoned or something else? I haven't found similar revealed things.

I'm pretty sure someone already suggested this, but it was turned down, due to the fact it wouldn't work in multiplayer...
It is made mainly for multiplayer. Computer doesn't have eyes, door will not highlights or something if someone would even touch it. It's not possible to see it if You haven't discovered area behind the door before. If You think it wouldn't be useful, say why? Maybe I could change it to something that works (or not and just forget it). ;)

Eek

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
It is made mainly for multiplayer. Computer doesn't have eyes, door will not highlights or something if someone would even touch it. It's not possible to see it if You haven't discovered area behind the door before. If You think it wouldn't be useful, say why? Maybe I could change it to something that works (or not and just forget it). ;)
The user needs some way of attacking the door so it's not overpowered, e.g. by dropping a creature infront and seeing if the creature attacks it, so it would just be a bit annoying - and as soon as you see anything use the door, it's no longer useful.

Also, the fact that you're playing versus a human means that it'd very rarely come in handy, because you can predict where the doors will be - especially after you've gone through the first one, as it reduces the number of choices to how wide the path is - so even if it works fairly well, you're not likely to have many... normally just one... so a waste of effort?

The user needs some way of attacking the door so it's not overpowered, e.g. by dropping a creature infront and seeing if the creature attacks it, so it would just be a bit annoying - and as soon as you see anything use the door, it's no longer useful.

Also, the fact that you're playing versus a human means that it'd very rarely come in handy, because you can predict where the doors will be - especially after you've gone through the first one, as it reduces the number of choices to how wide the path is - so even if it works fairly well, you're not likely to have many... normally just one... so a waste of effort?
That's a magic of this door, even You put a creature in front of the door it wouldn't see door until something wouldn't pass through or it be really close enough, so touch it (I previously said it wouldn't be even possible, but walking this way it would be necessary to touch it). So normal doors would be see from a farther distance, this one need to be almost touching it, what creatures usually not do when they walking through corridors.

Playing with humans, it would really don't work? Of course if it hasn't got any strategy. Let's make a 3 tiles corridor from our room to, enemy's path somewhere that he couldn't not easily predict (because for example the corridor we would like connect to is quite long and our base is quite far away). OK then on these 3 tiles let's put 3 Secret Passage Doors (that's why I called them Passage). If every enemy human player would search for a Passages he would see that between his corridor and our room there is nothing but the ground, but in real it isn't. :p

This is another strategy, You want creature to destroy it? Possesses it or try to drop it very close to it, but as I said it would be a trap... oh and if it comes to trap, these doors someone could use if is not clever enough to protect value things, but it's not necessary, it could be as good the way to traps, monster maw.

You can nicely mix building SPs and Reinforced Wall together. That's a misleading strategy too, but less successful.

EDIT: If I would propose something this door could be quite high expensive and possible to unlock on later play, but that has below moderate durability. I made some simulations before I made this idea. You have to really be smart to find it if Your enemy knows how to use it. Ancient Keeper welcomes. :)

Last edited:

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Nice suggestion. I am fairly positive, that a secret passage will get added eventually, so it might just go from this suggestion straight into the base game. As this door wouldn't easily be distinguishable from a wall, I suggest, that the things, that can take down a wall, will take down a secret door aswell. Excluding Imps, as they will likely be unable to dig through fortified walls, when the first siege engine gets implemented, tose are: The aforementioned siege engines, earthquakes, likely as a spell, Pneumatic drills, unavailable in WftO, but whatever, the Excavator from the suggestion thead, Some unrevealed potion, that acts as steroid for your Imps, I'll stop now.
Many secret passages in real life were found, when the building had to be renovated or deconstructed, so it makes sense, that you can destroy the secret passage if you, by sheer luck, manage to destroy the wall tiles adjacent to it, or the door itself. From my own experience with secret doors in DK2, you could enter the secret door, when someone was exiting it. As soon as you slipped in, you knew the positon. In WftO, you will likely be able to replace walls, so there will be some deception and trickery taking place here. If you are certain, that an enemy was exiting from a wall, but you can't find the entrance, the door has likely been replaced. That could also go the other way around, so you can set up nice ambushes. That will make defensive strategies more interesting and diverse than ever before. I think a sloth/greed hybrid build would be the best way to sustain such elaborate defenses. If you are in Multiplayer, you can even demand ransom for prisoners, that you might get using the secret door ambush.

As this door wouldn't easily be distinguishable from a wall, I suggest, that the things, that can take down a wall, will take down a secret door aswell. Excluding Imps, as they will likely be unable to dig through fortified walls, when the first siege engine gets implemented, tose are: The aforementioned siege engines, earthquakes, likely as a spell, Pneumatic drills, unavailable in WftO, but whatever, the Excavator from the suggestion thead, Some unrevealed potion, that acts as steroid for your Imps, I'll stop now.
That's true, but as You know You can each door and wall destroy by that, not only secret doors. If You want to destroy Secret Passage You need to know that they already are somewhere, if You use them by setting them in different places, You would misleading the enemy gaining the time. This door are not for defence rather more for planning actions, ambushes etc. To give You a time for anything. Just putting them one could not be enough.

In WftO, you will likely be able to replace walls, so there will be some deception and trickery taking place here. If you are certain, that an enemy was exiting from a wall, but you can't find the entrance, the door has likely been replaced. That could also go the other way around, so you can set up nice ambushes. That will make defensive strategies more interesting and diverse than ever before. I think a sloth/greed hybrid build would be the best way to sustain such elaborate defenses. If you are in Multiplayer, you can even demand ransom for prisoners, that you might get using the secret door ambush.
Yes by using Replace Wall You can do many tricks, but by placing them Your unable to walk through them, but of course You're safer here (unless enemy that knows where is the wall more likely knows will use some destroying wall things).
OK, let's mix the Secret Passage and Replacement Wall then - You can set a SP tile next to enemy's tile, than put 2 SP more and then RW, so make a dead end where in the end there could be something scary, or just traps or nothing - player will claiming this land wasting time, where You could make in the same time an attack or any other action.
Secret Passages won't be used in obviously easy to find locations, but where You couldn't even image, somewhere where is a straight path, or labirynth You've made. If models will be good enough to make SP the same looking as common wall and claimed tile won't be visible in the end of Your corridor that ends by SP it won't be so easy to find them. Many actions to destroy or find walls costs time and mana, these door could really make a mess around totally misleading the enemy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom