• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dragons dont fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundel

Blood Imp
Jul 31, 2013
Hi!

playing beta today first time. That is growing to be great!!!!

Beeing bad a couple of minutes... I thought

- real (!) drangons will not fit into dungeons? They are too fat?
Yes they are! But but a "part" of them could fit. They love gold and diamonds too
- Could my minions betray me? Double-agends in my dungeon? mhmm... possible
- malfunctions of my own traps? Game over....

Playing a bad Dungeon-Lord leeds to such dark ideas....

Nice game so far. Go on!!!

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
No, small or young dragons actually do fit into the dungeon. The problem is, that the devs are intimidated by their sheer power and will not include them into the main game. This leaves some nice niche, so the best early modders will be able to make their dragon the dragon of WftO. There have been promising suggestions and posts, that could act as a guideline for the dragon's potential design. If you have a good idea, you could add it into the suggestions forum. If you feel more confident and bold, you can open a thread to announce your own planned dragon mod.

Sebt

Matriarch
Dec 4, 2011
The Venus Project
www.TheVenusProject.com
In DK 2 I missed my old kindly green firebreathers from DK 1. Like Castigator said on the forum there are many solutions how dragons could fit the game. If You searches Google for dragons look how many variations of Dragons people created: small, big, mechanical, rocky, ethereal, green, white, glass, mixed with fish, bat, Gyarados, lion or humanoidal creatures.
It's not possible to have dragon as we know as a big winged, firebreathing beast in the game, but some of their mutations etc. why not? :)
As I know somewhere on the forum someone has came with idea to make full dragon's mod. I'm planning to make a mod or maybe a game where Dragons will be on a 100%.

Jan 3, 2013
A guy with chainsaw and hockey mask wouldn't fit, but Dragons don't fit in the dungeon game? Tsk tsk.

It's just devs are not yet sure what role will dragon have. In fact, there can be 2 dragons, one, the wild one that comes out of portal and another one tamed by someone from Empire.

Anyway, Dragons, if they will appear in the game will do so a little later.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Dragons are just stupid lizards on steroids! Dragons go home! *seeks cover behind the next-best rock*

But seriously - my main problem with dragons is that they are practically always airborne creatures, yet flying through the dark and narrow corridors of a dungeon might be problematic. However, I'd have no problem with non-winged giant lizards.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
After the unoriginality, that was the salamander, I want real, actual dragons. Also, no one ever said, that there won't be large caverns, that allow flight. There can also be rifts to the surface, where lava creates a perpetual updraft, that allows dragons to enter or exit the underworld. They might use the underworld mainly as a safe haven to retreat to, in order to lay their eggs or hoard their treasures, as the other conventional way to enter the underworld is a portal, that is most likely to be owned by underlords. Their offspring would be schooled by these underlords, which increases their chances of survival, while it supplies you, the underlord, with a formidable fighting elite. After you're controlling the underground, you can send them to raid the surface. This is basically a win-win situation for underlords and dragons.
Also, there is no rule, that says a dragon has to be perpetually flying, or be wingless. That is just unimaginative. For instance, bats have been around for at least 52 million years, live in caves and any other habitable place on earth, as the only places without bats are the arctic and antartic regions. And while they do fly in order to hunt and travel, they spend most of their time hanging out in their dens, pun intended.
So there is nothing preventing us from having winged dragons and there are only the typical "Stop having fun, Guys" people, who claim, that winged creatures wouldn't make any sense in a subterrainean habitat, that is likely to offer huge caverns, magma shafts and possibly even diverse ecosystems. Even the fact, that the Bafu exists tells us, that there is a habitat for flying underground wildlife, intelligent or otherwise. It would also give heroic adventurers an incentive to invade the underworld in search of fortune. These self proclaimed heroes would slay infant dragons, take their parent's treasures and be surprised why a pair of furious dragons burned their village to the ground.

Jan 3, 2013
Dragons are just stupid lizards on steroids! Dragons go home! *seeks cover behind the next-best rock*

But seriously - my main problem with dragons is that they are practically always airborne creatures, yet flying through the dark and narrow corridors of a dungeon might be problematic. However, I'd have no problem with non-winged giant lizards.
Juicy piglet, also known as human, you are wrong.

Dragons don't always need to fly. They can use their wings when crossing areas that are dangerous or damaging, otherwise they can just walk on their two's or four's.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Dragons with two legs only?

HERESY!!!1111

But, to quote WarCraft III's Dread Lord: "If I have wings, why am I always walking?"

Seeing how the ability to fly would give the dragon a rather significant advantage over its foes, why would it fight in an environment that negates this advantage?

Also, there is no rule, that says a dragon has to be perpetually flying, or be wingless. That is just unimaginative. For instance, bats have been around for at least 52 million years, live in caves and any other habitable place on earth, as the only places without bats are the arctic and antartic regions. And while they do fly in order to hunt and travel, they spend most of their time hanging out in their dens, pun intended.
The differences is that bats usually do not fill out the entire cave - they are rather small. Now Dragons, on the other hand . . .

And also: I don't want to be the guy who runs around screaming "STOP ENJOYING THINGS I DON'T ENJOY". I don't hate dragons. I would love to see dragons that can't fly for one reason or another, but I wouldn't comprehend why a dragon would willingly give up this ability.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
The differences is that bats usually do not fill out the entire cave - they are rather small. Now Dragons, on the other hand...
Depends on how large your dragon actually is. In christian depictions, they were usually smaller than the mounted Saint Geoge. You don't complain, that a mounted knight couldn't possibly fit into the corridors. There is clear evidence, that horses actually do fit into mineshafts. And a mineshaft is considerably smaller than our dungeon's corridors and rooms.
In the original DK, you could even build a spacious cave, that was large enough to allow flying for even the biggest creatures. DK2 went even further and was generally hiding the ceiling of large caverns. So for all we know, they could have rifts, that are hundreds of metres high.
The only issue, that prevented dragons from flying there was game balance. They already were your multipurpose battle platform. If they had been able to close distances in the blink of an eye, they would have dominated everything. Also, no one complained about flying fairies and they were pretty much as large as the dragon sprites.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
just a reminder because of the flying discussion: the Bafu is flying so its only the size that may or may not be a problem. Im not really interested in this discussion tbh but i was irritated that no one pointed that out

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
just a reminder because of the flying discussion: the Bafu is flying so its only the size that may or may not be a problem. Im not really interested in this discussion tbh but i was irritated that no one pointed that out
The Bafu was mentioned here:
Even the fact that the Bafu exists tells us that there is a habitat for flying underground wildlife, intelligent or otherwise

Anyone think the Dragon in DK looked kind of cute and friendly?

Sure, why not... (I googled cute & friendly dragon)

Anyway if someone's objections to what a dragon is here is the link to The Esoteric Source of Knowledge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

So some said dragon wouldn't fit the game like WFTO, but Peter Molyneux found a solution for that and made a green two ledged firebreathing Dragon, that is not flying. HE DID IT WELL!
In HoMM 3 we had only two ledged Dragons, one of them didn't have wnigs! One of them was cute, but I don't know if friendly.
I made suggestion for Bluefire Drake that is even smaller than revealed Bafu.

Don't tell me that Dragon wouldn't fit the game cos they are too big or smth, because we've already known so many variations of them!

So why don't use one of them? In almost every culture dragons looks different.
I think there is no other creature like a dragon that people present it in so many forms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom