• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dungeon Infestations [misc] / [gameplay mechanic]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyanekh

Dwarven Worker
May 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
So vast and ancient had the dungeon of Underlord Dnahdergib grown, even he no longer knew what foul beasts made their lairs in the dark. The Blood Imps knew to steer clear of the older, more labyrinthine areas of the dungeon for no small number of them had perished within those stygian depths. Of course, the heroes of the land were unaware of these deadly mazes. Thinking them merely another diabolical trap of the Underlord, they sliced and burned their way through the vast cobwebs obstructing their path and paid no heed to the crunch of hollow bones beneath their feet. It was only when they finally reached the vast, bolted door barring their access to the dungeon proper that they noticed the rustle of chitinous bodies and the click of dreadful mandibles...
Everybody's home has some dark place that attracts spiders, flies and other nasty little creatures. It might be an attic, a space between the walls or even under your bed...
If a human's home attracts such horrible things, how much worse is a vast, evil dungeon going to be?
Essentially, my idea is for lesser used areas of a dungeon to be prone to infestations of vermin. The actual timing and area for this would need to be play tested, but for example let's say that if at least 15 connected squares of an Underlord's territory haven't been walked on for 15 minutes they are at risk of infestation. Only claimed tiles are at risk as the underworld already has it's native fauna, my idea more represents the things that move into neglected parts of the dungeon.
Infestations start off small and insignificant. Perhaps the tiles will appear cracked and dirty and rats will scuttle over them. This is the first warning sign that an area is becoming infested, to remedy this the Underlord can send his blood imps to jump up and down on the lumpy affected tiles ;) If this doesn't occur within another 10 minutes a more serious infestation appears and nasty critters move in, furthermore the tiles change appearance to look even more decrepit. The more tiles that fall to this infestation, the stronger and more numerous the critters will be. The critters will stick to the infested area and attack any creature or hero who comes too close but will ignore doors. The longer an infested tile is ignored, the more difficult it will be to reclaim.
What the infestation system will do is provide a natural hazard for the largest and most carelessly planned dungeons. Any reasonably well used area of a dungeon will naturally be walked on far more than once every 15 minutes and thus be at no risk of infestation. It's the very peripheries of the dungeon that are at risk, as well as those areas you dug out, but never got round to doing anything with.
Of course, the other side of this is that it provides a natural defence for a cunning Underlord. You could quite feasibly carve out a labyrinth and separate it from your main dungeon with a locked door. Over time the critters will move in and multiply, creating a hazardous obstacle for marauding heroes. Even more cunning Underlords might use this as a late game tactic. Once the heroes are strong enough to threaten your dungeon they must first navigate the infested corridors, clearing out the hostile critters and weakening themselves in the process, thus providing a perfect opportunity to counterstrike.
The creatures themselves would start off weak, probably comparable to blood imps. As the infestation grows more and more severe they will grow bigger and stronger. As for their appearance, there are countless possibilities (perhaps dependent on the dungeon theme?). They could be spiders, maggots, ghosts, giant rats, kobolds, killer pigs, small children or any other horrid thing you can think of.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
I love your description of this but as a gameplay mechanic it might be a bit superfluous. Maybe just as a campaign mission where you have to take over an old deserted dungeon?

Jan 3, 2013
Anything big and good can be implemented into Sandbox/MPD mode, but probably after other important things, like campaign and Skirmish.

Shyanekh

Dwarven Worker
May 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
Thanks for the comments guys (and thankyou for adding this to the list lordofriva). I very much agree with the general consensus that this is something to be considered much later down the road. As it stands I'd rather see the game finished, polished and have new units/traps/spells added first.
Still, I thought it would be nice to see at some point and I'm glad folks seem to feel the same way :)

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
As mentioned, the mechanic as a whole is perhaps too large to implement into WFTO. Some of your ideas are definitely interesting, though...

Shyanekh

Dwarven Worker
May 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
As mentioned, the mechanic as a whole is perhaps too large to implement into WFTO. Some of your ideas are definitely interesting, though...

Yep that's fair enough :) I know nothing about programming etc (it's amazing I can actually turn my computer on if I'm honest) so didn't know if it'd be too much to do. Glad you liked the idea though :)

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
i think its a neat idea in the sense of having to send out regular patrols throughout your dungeon, but will it literally have to be EVERY tile? i think if your creatures patrol within a certain radius it should be fine, otherwise the system would be very micromanagement oriented and not at all fun imo, seeing as pathfinding derp ups will probably screw the player over and leave little sections all over the dungeon infested.

Jan 7, 2012
i think its a neat idea in the sense of having to send out regular patrols throughout your dungeon, but will it literally have to be EVERY tile?
"but for example let's say that if at least 15 connected squares of an Underlord's territory haven't been walked on for 15 minutes they are at risk of infestation"

I guess 15 conected tiles already suggest a certain radius, so that not every little dead end gets infested, because its not stepped on every 15 minutes. This seems to be enough to ban too annoying rapid vermin problems.

I really like this suggestion, It would allow to implement all those nasty little dungeon critters like bugs, flies and slimes to be a strategic factor in the game even if they lack the personality to be a unit.
Also it would be damn awesome in already beaten campaign levels or sandbox levels.
There is a point where you have every creature avaible and every room build and you just dig out some barren rooms to fill some spaces for aesthetics. Vermin, or even little hints of ecosystems on unclaimed tiles would breath more live in the underworld.

Also look at this old suggestion: https://subterraneangames.com/threads/creature-rat.109/

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I get that this maybe isn't a priority, but its a really great suggestion... I'd let this happen just for aesthetics let alone tactical bonuses

Shyanekh

Dwarven Worker
May 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
Just a quick FYI for anybody wondering, my intention was indeed for there to be a radius of tiles that are considered "patrolled". Might not have communicated it too well ;)

Thanks again for the C+C guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom