• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Dungeon Keeper is Back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
Backer
Nov 29, 2012
Hey guys you know that new Zelda game Wind Waker? Some screenshots have just come out and Nintendo have completely changed the art style, it's all cartoony and childish. I bet it'll be bloody awful when it's released. The Zelda franchise is dead guys.

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Hey guys you know that new Zelda game Wind Waker? Some screenshots have just come out and Nintendo have completely changed the art style, it's all cartoony and childish. I bet it'll be bloody awful when it's released. The Zelda franchise is dead guys.
The two series aren't really comparable. Zelda has never been about being gritty or dark, or even being necessarily stuck to one aesthetic theme aside from certain things like the general character design. You're also playing a good guy, so you get some leeway in making things quite cheerful looking. Dungeon Keeper has been about being an evil overlord type character, and not really in the comical sense even if comedy is part of the game - Keepers aren't just evil, they are monstrously so. They starve their prisoners to death, they torment them horribly and bind the tormented ghosts to their service, they cause such havoc on the surface world that people resort to cannibalism because there's no food. They aren't cartoon villains, and that the people making this game show that they don't understand what the series was about by chosing this colorful, cheerful aesthetic. It does not bode well.

Another difference is that this isn't a flagship product for EA, whereas Zelda is for Nintendo. For EA this is just a minor side project hoping to make money on the name of games that have a cult following (a following which they clearly haven't made much effort to understand) and so they won't be at much of a loss if this flops.

sorudo

Warden
Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
that and the next zelda turned out to be quite realistic looking, wind waker was simply an oddball within the zelda franchise.
the mobile version of DK is worse because both the mobile version and DKO are cartoony looking, EA pretty much changed a loving universe in to a my little pony version of doom.

Fireeye

Augre
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I wouldn't mind Bronies so much if they didn't have the habit of forcefully inserting their horseshit (hue hue hue) in literally every conceivable setting. And by that, I mean literally any bloody setting. It's annoying and disturbing at the same time, seeing how this is a cartoon for six-year-old girls.

Dec 14, 2012
I wouldn't mind Bronies so much if they didn't have the habit of forcefully inserting their horseshit (hue hue hue) in literally every conceivable setting. And by that, I mean literally any bloody setting. It's annoying and disturbing at the same time, seeing how this is a cartoon for six-year-old girls.
Yeah, I hate it when people use Star Wars references in every day chit-chat online from time to time, (We got it, for the 11th time that "is no X") or post the same string of memes everywhere they go (oh no not lolcats). Just that sheer audacity to be apart of a fandom you disapprove of, oh damn, oh no, guess they should stop themselves like you do; nobody wants to be on the end of your verbal-witch burning spree because you or anyone else that projects in such a manner is just that important.

If it was a cartoon for 6 year old boys would it be perfectly legit? Because Ben10, Kids Next Door, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends etc. are perfectly acceptable for all ages. Lets have an internet where nobody makes any references to anything at all!

I wonder if the developers here get infuriated when someone brings up Dungeon Keeper as a reference again or when someone says 'Keeper' instead of 'Overlord' again or when someone goes out on a whim just enough to maintain that self-control hiding the obvious point of their criticism which amounts to "THIS ISN'T DUNGEON KEEPER I/II ENOUGH!"

It must happen on numerous occasions and its perfectly fine for people to do so, especially since here it'll be understood, but I doubt the dev team turn into 6 year old girls when this sort of thing occurs. Surely you can handle a reference to something you have no interest in, by like, I dunno, chowing down on a micro-piglet or summin'.

Jan 3, 2013
Hidden message in 25'th frame sir.

Dat thing never fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom