1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dungeon Keeper Mobile - My thoughts

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Simburgur, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

Hello!

So as many of you know, EA is releasing a mobile version of Dungeon Keeper at some point in the near future. What you probably don't know is that we've known about this for quite some time, and I've recently had the opportunity to take part in some early testing. I've also just been given the 'ok' to share my thoughts about it and answer any questions about the game that you might have.

Here is my dungeon:

dk1.png

Also: To people worried about 'pay to win': microtransactions are enabled, but this is me at the top of the leaderboards without touching any them at all:

dk2.png

dk3.png

So, fire away if you have any questions.

2. Peetfighter

Peetfighter Augre Founder

Yeah congrats on pwning everyone. :p
    The bars on top of the screen, what do they indicate?

3. Simburgur

Gold, Stone (two primary resources - generally gold is for offensive stuff, stone is for defensive stuff), Gems (microtransaction currency, which you also get for free at the start of the game and from achievements), and Imps (a limiter on how many things that can be dug out/constructed/upgraded at any one time).

4. D@nzingtree

[email protected] Crackpot

Did they told you why they chose this interesting *cough* artstyle?
    Werent they sure about the sucess of a possible dk 3 and wanted to widen the target group of this game to the 9 year olds?
    Im not sure if they can achieve the pokemon effect, where everyone, from childs to teenage brats like me up to old people enjoy a game,
    just because of the concept itself. It just dont seem right for DK....

And if theres a shop.
    Did they also include these "wait 3 days till you get the update" mechanics?

Amon likes this.
  5. Castigator

Castigator Gargoyle Backer

I started the original DK at age 6 in 1999. It was the first PC game I played. After DK1 I played through other good games, such as HeroesIII, Dungeon Master II and Might and Magic VI, but I still have DK1 on my PC. It is the fan expansion, but I still play the original campaign from time to time.
    The game is definitely 'OK' for minors and recieves my rating: Dungeon Keeper (DK1) Age:3 <Contains Dragons>
    Jokes aside, the mobile game seems to be aimed at people, that use their handy to doodle around for 15 minutes, not for long sessions of gaming, that start at 8:00pm and end at 6:00am. I am sure that mobile mini keeper has been released in order to create awareness for the dungeon management genre and that it might end up leading people to this forum, because they are curious about the mysterious Subterranean HQ. :)

6. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

My question is a pretty simple one, you seem to have a roughly spiral shaped dungeon in the images. How much of that was your design? I mean do you have freewill to decide which blocks you dig out and build on or is it a case of how it appears, that the rooms are all 3X3 sized and you just dig out corridors between them?

7. AvatarIII

I have been playing this since yesterday, it's not too bad as a mobile game, it's just not DK at all, aside from the units and mentor.

the rooms are pre-set sizes, however all the digging and dungeon design is done by you, each type of earth takes a different abount of time to dig through, 4 seconds, 4 hours and 24 hours, however you need imps to dig, each imp you have can be assigned to one job (building a room or defense, upgrading a room, or digging) so if you have 3 imps and 2 are upgrading rooms, you can only select one block at a time to dig.

Rooms can be placed anywhere you have enough room, but they cannot be touching each other. some are 3x3, most are 4x4 and some are 5x5, also once you have placed a room you can move it for free.

Also, although digging takes time and imps, you can fill in earth at any time, instantly and for free, as long as nowhere is cut off from the heart, so you can rearrange your dungeon as much as you like, this is kind of important as you are so limited with space.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. Simburgur

The spiral shape is for defensive purposes. Enemies enter from the gold/stone mines, so a longer, more dangerous path makes it harder for them to reach your heart. My current configuration is completely unbeaten, so I must be doing something right ;)

9. D@nzingtree

[email protected] Crackpot

I played DK 2 as I was around 12 ^^ (I think). Its not about the shown violence, (every little child merciless squeezes ants from time to time)
    But at its time it was a pretty provocant game. In Germany both games were censored and I remember that my parents werent very happy about the torture chamber.
    I meant to say that with changing the style of the game completely they made this mobile game a familiy friendly product which will reach the pre adult audience more easily.

What makes me upset is the free to play mechanic.
    Games like these are centered upon making profit in a way the player will not see easily.
    Its not a honest deal were you pay once but about shaking money out of you in small portions over a long time.

Of course, every mature person will consider this fact and may refuse to pay or be ok with paying a great sum of money over a longer time.
    But if you consider that they took this awesome game, (its some kind of addictive, we know that!) turned it into a long-time-money-sucker and centered the graphics and gameplay for kids by making this game cute and simplifying it, you come to the conclusion that its concept is similar to the happy meal toys mc donalds used to sell.
    "Mom, pleaaase!! I need you to buy me some extra imps!!"

Thats still ok for parents who are good at rearing their kids and I dont want to play the moral apostle,
    but I fucking hate it when companys pull off this cheap tricks to manipulate weak minded or stressed parents into spending tons of money because they want that their spoiled brats stop begging.:mad:

It makes me sad that they prostitute Dk in this way.

Antking, Blizzard, Reyh! and 2 others like this.
  10. Badwolf699

Badwolf699 Juggernaut Founder

Are their any pesky heroes in it?

11. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

I totally agree.

My thought about the game, is that it is hideous, in the same kind of way the mentor in DK 1 thought about the goodly heroes of the overworld.. "Yuck! Disgusting!" And it is the graphics and style of the game that i don't like, and also, F2P... If it only was a tower defence game, where it actually reminded me of the DK series, i wouldn't have minded...as much... Also, i got sick of tower defence games, in 2007...was it?

12. Wice

Wice Templar Backer

So, what is your actual opinion on the game?

13. Simburgur

For a mobile game it's actually pretty entertaining, but the super-long build times get a bit 'meh' once you've been playing for a while. There's also some bugs preventing me progressing at all (I can't continue in the campaign due to the fact that if you use a mistress, you automatically lose :grumpy:), and my Dungeon (as previously mentioned) is completely impenetrable to attack at the moment, so I haven't played a huge amount in the past few days.

I don't feel it's too money-grabbing - there's only one thing I would have spent money on (if microtransactions were working), which is additional workers... And one thing is fine. Everything else just doesn't seem worth it at all, but it's very very easy to accidentlaly spend the free gems you get, as there's no undo/confirmation buttons on the majority of the places you can spend them.

Wice and Lonesamurai like this.
  14. Wice

Wice Templar Backer

Hmm, alright. Does it still feel anything like Dungeon Keeper?

15. Enjou

Enjou Ember Demon Backer

Does it immerse you enough that you think of yourself as actually playing an evil Keeper?

16. Simburgur

Yes and no. The dungeon building aspect is somewhat similar, and of course Richard Ridings helps a lot, but the core gameplay is quite different.
    Not really. Then again, I've never really been that 'immersed' by a mobile game. The lack of any good guys to be evil too is probably the biggest detractor when it comes to the look & feel.

17. Enjou

Enjou Ember Demon Backer

What!? There aren't any damnable forces of all that is good, pure, and righteous to slay? Who threatens your dungeon, then?

18. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

The app has the voice of Richard Ridings in it?

19. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

Indeed, but his voice doesn't fit the game....in my opinion. Also, he plays as the Horned Reaper, which also is the mentor.

20. AvatarIII

Yes, with a dun-dun-DUN! evil sounding filter.

(@Meshuggly )

Noontide and James like this.