• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Dungeoneer Toolkit Scrapped?

Feb 6, 2014
Parts Unknown
How do you know they have a level editor? They might as well have the map data on a text file with a table that holds the descriptions of the content of the tiles and some script to hold the information on triggered events. They might be editing the cells of these tables by hand on a text editor. If they already have a level editor that does all that for them, why not put it with the game when it's complete and make a editor with easy-to-use GUI later on?
Seeing how little levels and maps we have it would be a good idea to add the level editor for the next release so that people can bugtest it oh and we need computer opponents too .

Jan 3, 2013
Devs said they will add simple, but yet Level Editor so people could start making own maps. I'm not sure about it's additional options though, many hope it will include Trigger and AI tweaking functions too.

Feb 6, 2014
Parts Unknown
Devs said they will add simple, but yet Level Editor so people could start making own maps. I'm not sure about it's additional options though, many hope it will include Trigger and AI tweaking functions too.
The triggers should be better then dk2 for sure , because in dk2 you can only select a strange compressed file for audio and text , that should not be the case with dk when we can choose mp3s and txt files for mission briefings.

Logain

Blood Imp
Mar 3, 2014
I'm sorry to bother and hope it's not too intreaguing, but would you happen to be kind enough to provide details as in why the Dungeoneer Toolkit got scrapped? I heared hearsay that the reason would be Unity wouldn't provide the means to support modding and while I haven't actually fully tried yet, it seems like this isn't entirely true. Not that it would be easy and out of the box, but that can hardly be expected, after all the job of a programner is explicitely in programming, right? ;)
I stumbled upon this on another Unity game where a user referred to you on the matter of "Unity games can't be moddable", hence my question.

Thank you very much in advance.

Nov 13, 2013
I'm sorry to bother and hope it's not too intreaguing, but would you happen to be kind enough to provide details as in why the Dungeoneer Toolkit got scrapped? I heared hearsay that the reason would be Unity wouldn't provide the means to support modding and while I haven't actually fully tried yet, it seems like this isn't entirely true. Not that it would be easy and out of the box, but that can hardly be expected, after all the job of a programner is explicitely in programming, right? ;)
I stumbled upon this on another Unity game where a user referred to you on the matter of "Unity games can't be moddable", hence my question.

The reason wasn't about unity being impossible to mod(which is incorrect, I think I have heard people say that it is just harder to modify unity games without built in modding tools then games built in other forms), it was because dungeneer was too ambitious, building it was slowing down game development significantly, it got to the point where it was a choice between dropping dungeneer or never finishing the game. The devs still would like to have modding tools in the game but they are unsure how much(if any) they will be able to include. They currently aiming to have a map editor at minimum, but they aren't even positive they will be able to include that.

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany

I think it was a painful decision for the devs to drop Dungeoneer. The problem is, that the entire structure of the game and the entire source code would have to be written in a way to accomodate both modifiable content, assets and rules, while they still had to maintain perfect function within Unity's framework.
Writing a heavily moddable program with a custom made framework and engine is possible, but takes years and a rather large team of experienced professionals. The team behind WftO doesn't have this kind of budget.
Using a framework like unity, makes the process of creating a game less time consuming, by provinding said framework, so you don't have to write everything from scratch like a programming guru, which in turn saves money that can go into the game's assets, and it is supposedly multiplatform oriented.
A discussion about the pros and cons of Unity can be read here: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/...a-choice-to-make-games
The problem is, that the unity framework cannot be changed, due to legal issues. Any flaws and limitations of the unity provided framework are either impossible, or very difficult to work around, so you have to wait for unity to fix it. Fixing it yourself is legally problematic.
The main advantage to Unity is, that it offers a wide variety of ways to accelerate your developement, though.
Also, It is possible to mod unity games, but to do that, it is likely that you'd have to buy UnityPro for 1140 €, or rent it for 57 € per month, which is pretty hefty for the average modder. If I am correctly informed, access to Unity's asset store is not included in those 1140 €.

Feb 6, 2014
Parts Unknown

Well look at shadowrun returns , it is a unity game and they also released an editor for that game where importing stuff is a piece of cake.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Here's a couple of responses from the team in Dec. from the modding forum:

Basically we'll get a map editor at the least, but hopefully more. Dungeoneer isn't completely scrapped, just low on the totem pole of things to do and what features it ends up having isn't fully determined yet.
A map editor is better then nothing.

Feb 6, 2014
Parts Unknown
Well guys this is just a guess but a map editor and possibly a dungeoneer tool is for when the game is completed , because if they release a map editor now then we will have compatibility issues with awesome player made old maps not working for new versions because of changes in the format due to bug fixes .

Feb 6, 2014
Parts Unknown
Is it possible to import animated meshes, or will they be converted into static models?
I have not been playing with shadowrun editor but they managed to make a cool sandbox mod called Shadowrun Universe where you are free to move in redmond barrens and other areas , the world is based on the sega genesis/megadrive game shadowrun , pretty impressive campaign that was not made by the devs.

Noontide

Award Winning Community Manager
Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hmmmm, I'm just jumping in here to echo the clarification that the Dungeoneer Toolkit does not exist in any form within WFTO and has not existed since it was scrapped in 2013.

u know it would not been a bad idea the unity builds are extremely laggy
This isn't a problem that would have been solved by Dungeoneer, if Dungeoneer had been feasible it would have operated on top of the Unity Engine as a form of middleware, that was the design intent for it anyway.

Honestly though the pursuit of Dungeoneer may have inadvertently caused the issues that has lead to a fair share of problems that haunt the game even to this day. The lost production time pursuing it meant there was a great rush to rebuild the game from the ground up directly in Unity as fast as possible, and it's in this time that a lot of the most integral and volatile code in the WFTO project hails from. It's no secret that some of these issues are still felt to this day.

A lot of problems in the projects lifespan, right up until release can trace their lineage to the mismanagement and inappropriate technical direction in the early months of the project and the correct decision was made at the time to change direction in effort to actually release a finished game in the end, something that thanks to that quick thinking exists today and we can all rest easy knowing we can actually pursue our dreams of making games.

Most of what I've said is nothing new really, it's been mentioned a few times. First in our Year in Retrospect post at the end of 2013, how that story culminated in the state of the game in 2015, and of course as part of a major milestone in our journey to becoming a true blooded studio.

It's certainly not the most fondly remembered point in our history, and it's something we've made great effort to make sure we avoid in the future. But that's not to say we're turning away from User Generated Content, we still believe in putting power in the hands of our users as we can and we're looking to see how we can incorporate that as part of our games moving forwards.

Patch 2.0 will be a huge step forward in that regard, and though it'll never achieve what Dungeoneer was hoped to be it will be a testament to our continued commitment to providing what tools we can reasonably develop for our community to bring their own dreams to life.

Hope that helps explain the situation as it stands in 2018 and for the foreseeable future. :)

Top Bottom