• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DUNGEONS II

Jan 3, 2013
Youtube is our savior. Many will watch ''Let's play'' videos before deciding to buy it or not. From what we got in Dungeons 1 and Impire, I suggest people wait a little.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Watched the stream recording earlier. Dungeons 2 does actually look like a pretty decent blend of DK, Warcraft, and Tower Defence, but for some reason their marketing machine is pushing it as a straight DK clone. They're setting themselves up for people to be disappointed.

However, I really don't like the use of the pre-order milestone stuff.

Jan 3, 2013
Watched the stream recording earlier. Dungeons 2 does actually look like a pretty decent blend of DK, Warcraft, and Tower Defence, but for some reason their marketing machine is pushing it as a straight DK clone. They're setting themselves up for people to be disappointed.

However, I really don't like the use of the pre-order milestone stuff.
Same thing was done with Impire and Dungeons 1.

Another reason why it's better to wait, it might turn out into absolutely different game in the end.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
In Kalypso's defense, Dungeons II is a straight DK clone when compared to Dungeons I. That said, it seems to be closer to DK than any other DMG out there, barring WFTO. If it innovates in the right areas, though, it could be good.

But eh, we'll have to see. Chances are it's just going to end up being 'a game' more so than something terrible or amazing.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
With a statement like that in a case like this, I feel you're entering fuzzy waters. Let me play devil's advocate for a bit and hope there's room for this discussion - even if it's a tough one coming relatively out of the blue. If there isn't, I'm guessing I'll see this post disappear again.

From what I've seen, Kalypso isn't marketing Dungeons II specifically as a Dungeon Keeper clone, but rather using the reviews and press statements saying such things. It's clever use of media, obviously, there's no doubt about that. But it basically says they're not above making the comparison to Dungeon Keeper as a selling point if others are making that comparison instead of them. Is WFTO really so different? At this point I feel like we're less than a stone's throw away from associating one's own site with a game using the same title as their inspiration to market their own product. You've always threaded carefully when it comes to this, but can you really judge Kalypso's approach and tell yourself you're not the same? Or is the difference that WFTO's marketing is morally sound because 'that other game' was ethically a steaming pile of dogshit?

Psycix

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I think the DMG genre is not that well defined, especially in the sense of broadness. How far can a game deviate from DK1&2 and still be a DMG?
There are many aspects to a DMG, and that causes equally many expectations. If you advertise a game to be DK-inspired (not even clone), people WILL expect features like digging, creature needs and behavior, spells, traps, atmosphere, picking up and dropping, slapping and not being able to micro the units like in command and conquer.

So far, the only game that really implemented all of that was WftO. All other DK-inspired games have dropped some or most of those aspects, and being marketed as being a DK-inspired game or even clone is guaranteed disappointment.
I have grown very skeptical towards these kind of games, and I'll wait until they are released before making a judgement.

Jan 3, 2013
It seems game gonna have 11 missions ( 5 - 6 hours worth ), typical sandbox with 4 maps ( we know what kind of maps they will be ) and multiplayer with 4 modes which probably will be abandoned after a week or so. I feel like for the price they are asking, players deserve much more than that.

Apr 2, 2014
Malaysia
Cool, good to hear that, as long as we have Dungeon Keeper Year in 2015 I'm a happy man.

I really could spend 20 hours of gameplay on a single game, especially with this type of games.

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
If the game works out well I hope it gets expanded upon in the future. I did really like the first dungeons but the second game looks like something I could enjoy. I like the warcraft touch to controlling units in the overworld.

Apr 3, 2015
I still think it'll be good, just not fond of the misleading marketing.
No offense, but you may want to consider correcting your Steam store page for WFTO then if you don't like misleading marketing. Advertising a working multiplayer, skirmish and survival mode for a game which clearly don't has these features is far more misleading than putting a few press quotes in gameplay trailers.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
No offense, but you may want to consider correcting your Steam store page for WFTO then if you don't like misleading marketing. Advertising a working multiplayer, skirmish and survival mode for a game which clearly don't has these features is far more misleading than putting a few press quotes in gameplay trailers.
all these Modes are correctly functioning though, the game features a Skirmish mode, a Survival mode and Multiplayer as well (even if it currently only supports 2players (instead of four))

Apr 3, 2015
all these Modes are correctly functioning though, the game features a Skirmish mode, a Survival mode and Multiplayer as well (even if it currently only supports 2players (instead of four))
4 player multiplayer mode is still advertised on the store page to this day. I really think the features advertised should reflect the current state of the game, not future plans. This alone should warrant refunds which Steam is unwilling to authorize apparently.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
4 player multiplayer mode is still advertised on the store page to this day. I really think the features advertised should reflect the current state of the game, not future plans. This alone should warrant refunds which Steam is unwilling to authorize apparently.

im sorry you are correct, this sentence slipped through.

It was changed now :) (sorry we werent really there this weekend)

Top Bottom