• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dwelvers (Formerly Dungeon Dwellers)

Skarzraks

Priestess
Backer
Dec 31, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
its a shame he couldnt try to get on with the development of WFTO, he certainly seems to know a thing or two about how to make a game!

and yeah thats an amazingly super Swedish accent, even my girlfriend agrees... and she is swedish!

Jun 18, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm Rasmus and I am the developer behind Dungeon Dwellers (you know, the one with the super Swedish accent :D), and I stumbled on this thread when doing some ego-searching ;) I love Dungeon Keeper and I really feel that WFTO will be a worthy successor to the long awaited Dungeon Keeper 3. Under the last months when I have been working on Dungeon Dwellers I have gotten some comments on that I have been creating a Dungeon Keeper clone and that the market wouldn't be large enough for both WFTO and my game. So I just wanted to say to all of you that I am not want to compete with WFTO. I am going to have some of the standard Dungeon Keeper mechanics as shown in the video, but I am also going in my own direction by focusing a lot on resource management, so in the end I think these two games will be very different in gameplay. I'd just made another update showing some of the ideas I am having:

I actually didn't find out about WFTO until a couple of months ago, but if I had sooner I would definitively have tried to get on that train :)

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Hey, welcome, welcome. :) I can only say that I wish you the best of luck, and hope you bring this project to fruition, and huge success. :p I assure you, the market most definitely IS big enough for both Dungeon Dwellers and WftO. We're not just making clones of DK here (We, as in "We the fans of the genre"), we're reviving a genre here that didn't deserve to ever die.

Skarzraks

Priestess
Backer
Dec 31, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
it sounds really interesting, i really like the idea of using a settlers influence, awesome games, i guess this will involve setting up production chains to get to some of the really good stuff in "end game"

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I'm afraid money is needed anyways.
If devs could live only on pure oxygen, then majority of games wouldn't require too much funds.
If dev's could live on just oxygen, then there would be a hell of a lot more games in the Dungeon Keeper genre. NBK, OpenDungeons, DKIII... They all would have been finished, instead of cancelled or 'delayed indefinitely'. Best of luck to you, Rasmus Ljunggren.

Jun 18, 2013
Thanks all for your kind words :) Yeah, I know that the market is big enough, just have to be able reach out to them all. If developers could just live on oxygen, then there would be a lot of more fan made games out there :) I will finish the game even if I don't reach my goal, it will just take a longer amount of time.. The goal I have set on Indiegogo is about enough for me to be able to live of it so that I can focus on developing Dungeon Dwellers without having an dayjob distracting me on the side.. But we will see how it goes, the money I raise will give me the head start, then maybe I could survive on future donations. It's both a fun and a hard work :)

@Skarzraks: Yeah, I'm trying to make it both fun and challenging with great rewards. I am going in the direction that some players wouldn't even be able to get some of the ultimate creature types unless he really work for them, create a well designed dungeon with smooth production chains so that certain creatures can be created, then level up the creatures and re-feed them to the Dark Mother to create other creature types :p That is what makes me get enthusiastic about a game, showing me the carrot in the beginning, and then I will have to work hard to get it :)

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
It does seem quite a bit different. but not nearly to the bore of Dungeons as far as micromanagement and over all taking away from the fun is concerned. I actually saw a video on your game a month or two ago and put it on my "watch and see if grows" list. I think as long as you keep with the direction you're taking thus far that it will at least be its own interesting entity, as the changes are not stark enough from DK as some other games have taken. The only thing i would be concerned about would be the over all resource management getting a bit too in depth, i.e. if too many are added in. Its been best in my experience to have a max of maybe 4 resources that have many, general uses. I like having alot on my plate, but i don't particularly care for managing 30 different resources and their production all at once coupled with creature, trap, and invasion management.

Over all, quite impressive work for lone development sir, hats off to you

Jun 18, 2013
Well from what I have seen of Dungeons, I am NOT going to do anything close to that! :) I am glad that you mentioned the resource chain, when I first started with that idea I was thrilled, thought the more challenging the better.. But as I have progressed with the development I have noticed the same thing as you, I want it to go fast and smooth for the player to be able to create creatures, so I am thinking about shrinking it a little bit. Maybe not to 5 - 6 resources, I think I can keep most of the resources I have planed, just that I will make it easier for the player to create them, so shrinking the chain with other words. The idea I had from the beginning and that I am still having is that the player won't have to create ALL resources to be able to play good, quite the opposite. The power would instead come from focusing on creating certain creatures and the resources needed for those creatures, and depending on the dungeon layout and the situation the player would have to try different tactics by trying out other creatures. It is like only because I have 30 different rooms to build doesn't mean that I should build them all.

I have not started on the traps yet, but I was thinking about letting the traps/mechanics in the dungeon remind a little bit of Minecraft (which actually works like any in game dungeon editor itself). For example, I would like to have pressure pads, and then the player have to draw wires to a piston that will move a wall or big boulder when activated. The pressure pad could also be used to light up certain areas, activate teleporters and counters (meaning that the counter will have to be activated a certain amount of times before it sends the signal through, so that the trap won't be activated until a certain pressure pad have been walked on a certain amounts of times). Also the pressure pad could be set to just work if an allay or enemy or both walk on them. By doing this I think the player would be able to be as creative as possible and create unique dungeons :) I was also thinking about giving the player the option to be able to rebuild walls that he/she have created, but in different materials. It may not affect the gameplay to much what type of walls are being built, just that it will be more fun creating a personal look on the dungeon :)

But as am a realist, I know that some of my ideas will have to modified as a progress.. Maybe adding less, maybe adding more, but always to the benefit of the gameplay.. I have created games before, and I know that the end result always will be a little bit different than the first idea. And I don't think any game developer with experience would object to that :)

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Will the game have like hidden secret levels?
Easter Eggs are a nice little suprise in game swhen not expecting them.

May 16, 2013
UK
Will the game have like hidden secret levels?
Easter Eggs are a nice little suprise in game swhen not expecting them.

No, it will have precisely zero easter eggs or hidden surpises. None at all. Not even one. If someone tells you there is one they are lying. Don't believe it. NONE!

Jun 18, 2013
Actually I would like to have as many Easter eggs as possible, there will be millions, but I can't tell you what they are, because then there won't be any ;) hehe.. My idea is for the creatures to to be up to as much shenanigans as possible when they think the player isn't watching. So if you would like to find some easter eggs in future versions, then keep a close watch on the creatures :p

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Actually I would like to have as many Easter eggs as possible, there will be millions, but I can't tell you what they are, because then there won't be any ;) hehe.. My idea is for the creatures to to be up to as much shenanigans as possible when they think the player isn't watching. So if you would like to find some easter eggs in future versions, then keep a close watch on the creatures :p
Good to know the creatures will have a sense of humour :D

Top Bottom