• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Eight Alternative Map-mode Shrines (Home Realm / Survival / Campaign)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunyudai

Dwarven Worker
Aug 2, 2016
The Problem:
A lot of us like the Home Realm and survival modes, but feel like it would be awesome to create our own.

The Proposal:
Much of the special functionality of these modes come from a few key features, that can effectively be modeled as Shrines, which could then be easily placed in the map editor in-order to provide much-needed aid to us poor unloved single-player scenario designers. (Joking, of course.)

The Shrines:

#1: Shine of Endless Heroes (Survival mode shrine)
Highlight: An undestroyable shrine that reads the portal spawning scripts from Survival mode and spawns Empire-controlled creatures according to those scripts.
Purpose: The survival waves are intended to be hard, and can be used any time a map maker wants a high pressure stream of hero units in their maps. For example, imagine a map laid out similar to a yin-yang symbol, with the ball parts of the symbol containing spaces for Underlord players to skirmish, but a Shrine of Endless Heroes sits in each tail. The players must simultaneously challenge each other, while beating back a hoard of heroes. Sometimes winning through conquest, sometimes simply surviving longer than their opponent.
Associated Units: N/A
How does it Work: Using the Survival Prototype as a basis, it would have a map-editor drop down that lets you choose from North, West, or East, and then spawns according to those times. The heroes spawned are always Empire faction, and will target the closest dungeon heart. (Closest per path-finding, not strict distance). The shrine would only spawn heroes when not controlled by the Neutral faction (either Underlord or Empire), but regardless of who controls it, it spawns empire aligned heroes.
Appearance: As the current hero shrine, but more fortified. Possibly using the magic domed portal from the first Heart of Gold map?
Alternative: A similar Shrine of Endless Beasts that uses the Underlord minions would be similarly awesome, but obviously would require its own scripts. In this case, the creatures would still be Emprie controlled.

#2: Shrine of Heroic Might: (Replaces Home-realm gravel block)
Highlight: An undestroyable shrine that functions the same as the gravel block form the home realm for the purpose of determining the level used by the Shrine of Hero Summoning below.
Purpose: For home realm-type scenarios, mostly.
How does it Work: Exactly as the gravel block from the home realm - if it is claimed by the Underlord and activated, it raises the hero level produced from the Shrine of Hero Summoning by 1, to a max of 10.
Appearance: A large stone statue of a mighty hero wielding a sword.
Alternative: When active, it will stay active multiple shrines are needed to be captured to increase the level further.

#3: Shrine of Heroic Weakness: (Replaces Home-realm dirt block)
Highlight: An undestroyable shrine that functions the same as the dirt block form the home realm for the purpose of determining the level used by the Shrine of Hero Summoning below.
How does it Work: Exactly as the dirt block from the home realm - if it is claimed by the Underlord and activated, it lowers the hero level produced from the Shrine of Hero Summoning by 1, to a minimum of 1.
Appearance: A large stone statue of a frail hero barely able to lift a sword.
Alternative: When active, it will stay active multiple shrines are needed to be captured to decrease the level further.

#4: Shrine of Hero Summoning: (Specialized Home-Realm Hero Gate)
Highlight: An undestroyable shrine that functions the same as the home-realm hero gate.
How does it Work: If it is claimed and then activated by the Underlord, it will produce a new group of Heroes, using the same script as the Home Realm and the level as determined by Shrines of Heroic Might/Weakness
Appearance: As existing Hero gateway, but inlaid in gold.
Alternative: As above, except when activated it will stay active and spawn a new wave every minute.

#5: The Kenos: (Campaign effect shrine)
Highlight: Claim the power of the Kenos!
Purpose: As a high-powered macguffin for king-of-the-hill type maps.
Associated Units: n/a
How does it Work: When possessed, starts a 10-minute timer. If that timer completes, the possessing Underlord gains the passive Kenos powers from the campaign.
Appearance: As the Kenos shrine in the campaign.

#6: The Aum (sp?): (Campaign effect shrine)
Highlight: Claim the power of the Aum!
Purpose: As a high-powered macguffin for king-of-the-hill type maps.
How does it Work: When possessed, starts a 5-minute timer. If that timer completes, the possessing Underlord's imps gain the power to claim Sacred ground (converting it to dirt), while gaining the half the benefits of the Besiege ritual. The effect stacks with the actual besiege ritual.
Appearance: A stone and silver alter with the Aum crystal floating above it.

#7: The Heart of Gold: (HoG Campaign effect shrine)
Highlight: Claim the power of the Heart of Gold!
Purpose: As a high-powered macguffin for king-of-the-hill type maps, or in home-realm type maps. (If the home realm blocks are replaced with the shrines above, this could replace the gold block, possible with a lore-friendly rename and tool-tip for Kasita's realm. "Spirit of Greed"?)
How does it Work: When possessed, starts a 5-minute timer. If that timer completes, the possessing Underlord gains the gold generation of the Avarice ritual for as long as he/she holds the shrine and has vault space to fill. This effect stacks with Avarice, and does not consume manna like the ritual does.
Appearance: A golden dais with the Heart of Gold floating above.

#8: Relic Shrine: (HoG Campaign effect shrine)
Highlight: Unlock Relics with powerful, or disastrous effects!
Purpose: Claim for unexpected effects!
How does it Work: Effectively the relic shrines from the second HoG campaign map - they contain Artifact-like "Relics" that may have the same effects of any of the relics from that map, or any of the regular artifacts. Unlike an artifact, the shrine must be claimed in place and the artifact unlocked by a researching minion on-site. Possible effects are set in the Map Editor via check-boxes, and may utilize the same randomization groups that artifacts use. An additional drop down allows for Relic-respawns, every 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, or never once claimed.
Appearance: As the Relic Shrines from HoG 2.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
The Survival Mode within the game right now is just a prototype, which is due to be fleshed out into a full game mode for the next major milestone patch. Whilst I can't make any promises, the map editor may see some improvements alongside to support the creation of community made survival maps as well (although doing so is a lot more complex than just continuously spawning more heroes for a proper survival map).

That being the case I think your first 4 shrine ideas could probably be added to the game in a way that didn't require actual shrines to use (i.e as tools within the editor itself rather than objects)

#5, (and particularly) #6 and #7 are unlikely to be added to the map editor as they make up part of the exclusive content included in the DLC. Not to mention most of their suggested effects would be massively OP.

Finally #7 the Relic Shrine, before Heart of Gold was released, this shrine was briefly in the (internal build's version of the) map editor for designing the campaign maps, but it was removed again (probably due to the reason above) before release, however out of all of the shrines I think it has the most potential to be re-added. I actually asked if it could be included (or rather not removed from the editor) when HoG was released.

There is always a risk, that if the toolset within the map editor was to increase to the point it offered the same full functionality as the internal map editor (which I doubt is actually possible within game anyway), people could potentially "remake" the DLC levels, release them onto the steam workshop for free and potentially harm sales of future content. I think that's why certain elements of the SP DLC need to remain exclusive to that, in order to ensure that there is still a unique selling point for it.

Home Realms themselves are more of a special case, and without trying to speak for the devs themselves, I think the intention is that actual home realm maps remain the creations of the devs, since they tie into the characters of the game so closely and lore wise each character only has one. But I'd imagine that if/when support for spawning Hero Parties within the editor is added it will also make it possible to spawn them for Sandbox maps so you'd be able to make something close to a Home Realm.

sunyudai

Dwarven Worker
Aug 2, 2016
Nutter, thank you again for the reply.

I fully understand that survival mode is in prototype, I'm just looking for a way to unleash a stream of heroes in ever-increasing strength for single-player scenario purposes, and I figured it would be easy. I hadn't considered the possibility of hand-remaking the campaign maps, that's a good point.

Personally, I view game balance as the task of the map designer. Sometimes you want a destabilizing element in a map, for a king-of-the-hill type scenario. Also, balance is less of an issue if it's a single player campaign. Personally, I really enjoy Asymmetrical warfare - I was envisioning a map similar to the old campaign L12 (might be off by one?) where you are facing 3 turncoats, but inversed. 3 allied players versus a single AI that has a Kenos and a Heart of gold might make for a fun challenge.

Anywho, thank you for the insight on the home realms. I was mostly trying to tie to the existing elements of the game in the hopes that simplifying development would in turn increase the likelihood of implementation.

Finally, "Stay Awesome", and please pass that message on to the rest of the team. Cheers!

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Nutter, thank you again for the reply.

I fully understand that survival mode is in prototype, I'm just looking for a way to unleash a stream of heroes in ever-increasing strength for single-player scenario purposes, and I figured it would be easy. I hadn't considered the possibility of hand-remaking the campaign maps, that's a good point.

Finally, "Stay Awesome", and please pass that message on to the rest of the team. Cheers!
I think you'll see something that will let you do just that, eventually.. but I can't say much more than that right now :)

Thanks for the kind words and you stay awesome too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom