• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Embellishments we would like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
So, WftO seems to be steaming along at a great pace. Certainly all the big stuff in the game seems to be sorted. This thread is a kind of drop zone for any little embellishments you would like it see. Often, it is just those little things which really make a game seem finished.

Here are a few of my suggestions:

-Ability to turn off the HUD - great for capturing an awesome moment as a picture or video, or just for the fun of total immersion - preferably done though use of a hotkey

-Camera Reset Hotkey - I found it was very common to become disorientated while playing DK2, a reset to default view would be really helpful

-Discrete option to put your system clock (very small) on the interface - I bet we have all sat down to play DK for an hour and found ourselves looking at the clock and finding out that it is the middle of the night

So, what little embellishments would you like to see?

Hejoba

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 14, 2013
+ A postcard view like in Anno.
+ A pause function which also hides the HUD. not this "break = Game Menu" garbage.
+ A free flight mode like in DK 1, without taking possession of a creature.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
I would like the ability to switch to desktop via windows key without the game crashes...
Oh agreed, very very much. I plan on playing the game in some sort of Windowed mode, so that I can listen to lectures and other videos in the background while I'm working or playing.

The two things that (superficially) ruin any game for me is not being able to bind controls entirely the way I need them to be for maximum satisfaction and an ergonomically efficient experience, and not being able to alt-tab out smoothly and quickly, or better yet, not being able to window it properly.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
not sure if i should add this, looks a bit like general discussion/"what do YOU want to see in WFTO" thread

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
not sure if i should add this, looks a bit like general discussion/what do YOU want to see in WFTo thread
Sorry, I'm not sure I agree. I don't feel that the the 'What do you want to see?' thread is really appropriate for small embellishments which are easily lost within conversations about more fundamental processes and systems. Furthermore, although dicusion about embellishments is important, the actual establishments have to be suggested first, hence, I feel this thread is well suited within the suggestions section.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Sorry, I'm not sure I agree. I don't feel that the the 'What do you want to see?' thread is really appropriate for small embellishments which are easily lost within conversations about more fundamental processes and systems. Furthermore, although dicusion about embellishments is important, the actual establishments have to be suggested first, hence, I feel this thread is well suited within the suggestions section.
yeah sure why not ;) its not that im against it ;)
adding it into the misc section then

(hadnt much to do there lately anyway :p )

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Also I'd like to see a 'invert y-axis' option (for possession mode). In the pre-alpha I get confused because play all my games with 'inverted y'... :confused:

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
If you were playing against me, you could always tell which creature I was possessing. It was the one that was giggling like an idiot, casting random ass spells on anything that looked cool, and chasing their (non-exsistent) tale through the dungeon.
:rolleyes:
I never was able to take possession seriously. It was just so awesome.

Here are a few of my suggestions:
-Ability to turn off the HUD - great for capturing an awesome moment as a picture or video, or just for the fun of total immersion - preferably done though use of a hotkey
-Camera Reset Hotkey - I found it was very common to become disorientated while playing DK2, a reset to default view would be really helpful
-Discrete option to put your system clock (very small) on the interface - I bet we have all sat down to play DK for an hour and found ourselves looking at the clock and finding out that it is the middle of the night
All great suggestions, they've been passed along.

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
Hey Folks! Great thread.

Medjay said:
Added to feature backlog.

Medjay said:
Added to feature backlog.

Medjay said:
Maybe. We'll have to see how the in-game HUD evolves. Its important we keep it as clean as possible given the information already needed to display to the player.
I can certainly understand the reason behind it though haha! More than once playing DK2 I've looked at the time "Oh is it 7AM already?".

I would like the ability to switch to desktop via windows key without the game crashes...
Hrm. We need to make sure we're keeping close to the DK2 formula though. The crash feature is important to the user experience I think. ;)

+ A postcard view like in Anno.
Will need to review the usability of this later into a project I think. It'll cost a bit of time for us to get right and implement properly. Good suggestion though. P.S. ANNO rocks.

+ A pause function which also hides the HUD. not this "break = Game Menu" garbage.
I think we might by default hide the HUD when pausing the game to bring up a small semi-transparent in-game menu.

+ A free flight mode like in DK 1, without taking possession of a creature.
I think this would make for a nice way to review your dungeon. However it'd have to be strictly for certain gamemodes to prevent cheating in multiplayer as well as singleplayer missions/campaigns.

This, windowed mode and multi monitor support :p
Windowed mode, alt-tabbing, multi-monitor support (A windowed mode feature really) should all work out of the box due to the Unity engine.

Also I'd like to see a 'invert y-axis' option (for possession mode). In the pre-alpha I get confused because play all my games with 'inverted y'... :confused:
haha. It still boggles my mind that people still play like this. Some part of me wants to go Roman on you and kill off the habit by not implementing the feature. But it didn't work for them with the left-handed guys (Ie me!) so why do it here.
Short answer: Of course! ;)

The ability to see when an enemy underlord is possessing a creature. Something like a red glow around the creature.
That would seem like a sensible gameplay element to me. We'll definitely playtest it and see if it fits.

Painkilller

Dwarven Worker
Apr 15, 2013
Boggles the mind that people still invert the Y axis?!?! I've been doing that since the dawn of gaming (Sublogic Flight Sim II for my Apple II+), and to this very day almost all games allow people to invert it. Seems natural to pull back, and go up, and to push forward, and go down.

I hope this option doesn't ever get dropped, or I'll be out of gaming. Lol.

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
Boggles the mind that people still invert the Y axis?!?! I've been doing that since the dawn of gaming (Sublogic Flight Sim II for my Apple II+), and to this very day almost all games allow people to invert it. Seems natural to pull back, and go up, and to push forward, and go down.

I hope this option doesn't ever get dropped, or I'll be out of gaming. Lol.
haha. Its precisely those old Flight Sim games that invented the 'art' of inverted Y axis game playing. I think most of the industry long abandoned it as a default way to play, but we all still keep that option there for you 1 percent'ers. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom