• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Empire Creature] Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
Name: Samurai

Description/Preface: Samurai are one of the most powerful heroes, not to mention one of the most ferocious in combat. He will not retreat, he chooses to fight his enemies to the death. These are not heroes to take lightly, they do a good amount of damage just with their Katana, and their Kanabo can really do a number on armored units. Converting them will take a long time and cannot be sped up with gold bribes; the long wait is worth it though.

Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Samurai.jpg

Key Stats
Highlight: This is an update of an older post. The other one didn't go as well, the main criticism being the mixture of melee and ranged which didn't give him much purpose on the battlefield. I've made his attacks more melee based with a rare ranged attack used for fleeing/out of range targets. I hope this suggestion fairs better this time around.

Faction:Empire

Type:Intelligent

Role:Melee Fighter

Acquired By:conversion

Basic Attack:[Melee] [Damage Type - slashing] [power - average]

Offensive Power:Strong

Defensive Power:average

Resistances:Average vs slashing, fire///below average vs blunt, poison

Movement:Moderate

Work: n/a

Entertainment: train/tavern

Special Needs: You torturing him into joining the side he so proudly fought against doesn't sit well with him. Keep his mind off these thoughts, train him, drop him in the tavern when not too crowded. Keep him away from your weak cowardly minions, these types will anger the samurai rather quickly.

Upgrades: n/a

Traits
Fight To The Death: when he hits 10% health his attack strength and speed are increased by 10% and the damage he takes is reduced by 15%. This ability lasts for 8 seconds and has a moderate cool down.

Fearless: the samurai will never retreat from a battle and is immune to fear mechanics.

Abilities
Kanabō: takes out a large club like weapon (I'll post some pictures of it below) and delivers a powerful blow to a target; he only targets units with moderate-high armor. This attack deals heavy blunt damage, stuns the target for a few seconds, and decreases his/her armor by 40-50% for 20 seconds. This attack takes a few seconds to charge and will end when the samurai is attacked; he will also need a few seconds to recover after delivering this blow. Long cool down

burning arrow: the samurai channels this ability for 5 seconds then hits an enemy with a burning arrow for high fire damage that burns for 10 seconds dealing moderate fire damage over time. This attack is usually used for fleeing enemies or if he is unable to reach his target in melee range. long cool down.

dashing strike: samurai will dash forward, delivering 3 very quick slashing strikes for moderate damage and a weak bleed effect.

Kanabō pics:
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/Talgria/Characters/tetsubo.jpg

http://www.sagacombat.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Kanabo.jpg

Flavor
Appearance: The image I have provided above gives a pretty much sums up my basic image of this unit

Likes:well he prefers other heroes///training///creatures who are skilled and do not run from fights

Dislikes:cowardly, sneaky, lazy, and weak creatures

Behavior:The samurai will be slower to anger than most other heroes, but he doesn't like your creatures and they do effect his mood.

-he will spend most time in the barracks, and guarding. If left idle he will usually just keep to himself. He doesn't research or manufacture, he won't pray to your dark gods. He may hang out in a tavern to relax but wont indulge in drinking, and won't stay if too crowded.

-It would be wise to keep them away from creatures that are sneaky and cowardly; he has 0 tolerance for them

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
While the samurai luckily should not lead to legal problems despite of appearing in the DK titles, I still don't like the concept itself, simply it is to much of a cliché.

Yes, yes, I know - where have knights in shining armor, and succubi, and all others forms of chlicés in the games, but there difference, as I believe, lies in the fact that they're actually fitting for the setting - yer olde Classic European High Fantasy World. The Samurai would need to come from "some faraway land" which is not at all Japan, and at least I have simply seen this stuff far to often in a wide variety of games.

Jan 3, 2013
Samurai was out of theme even in DK1, I'm sure it will be the same in WFTO. Pick someone a little ''closer to EU'' mythology and timeline and reconsider stats, we already have enough average vs all creatures in the game.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
How about an ability called Seppuku, where there is a 50% chance that when killed, the samurai would commit Seppuku, which has the effect of the creature that made the killing blow is not awarded any XP, and if the enemy is only "knocking out" creatures instead of killing them, there's, for example, 90 89(+ Samurai's level)%, or 50(+ 5x Samurai's level), or just (10x Samurai's level)% chance that the Samurai commits Seppuku not allowing the enemy to use the Samurai for their own purposes.

Since the Samurai never runs from battle, this ability could counter it, so the enemy is never able to build up an army of converted Samurai, or use them for levelling up.

Samurai was out of theme even in DK1, I'm sure it will be the same in WFTO. Pick someone a little ''closer to EU'' mythology and timeline and reconsider stats, we already have enough average vs all creatures in the game.
Remember, WftO is taking elements from all over the world, Witch Doctors and Necromancers are hardly European themed,

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Someone could argue that they are, just by name
Well sure, but by that logic Witch Doctors are too because Witch and Doctor are English words :)

But Necromancers are kind of Indo-European Barbarian themed (as opposed to to more "western" European tropes), with a bit of an Afro-carribean twist. The Necromancer looks like something out of a Conan book/movie.
Witch Doctors are more like Polynesian mixed with Afro-carribean and possibly with a bit of European. but mostly not.

The way I see it, the Empire is probably extremely large, probably larger than any REAL middle-ages empire ever managed to be, and that's saying quite a lot.
I could see the WftO Empire spanning all of the European/Asian continent, and much of the north of Africa.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
How about an ability called Seppuku, where there is a 50% chance that when killed, the samurai would commit Seppuku, which has the effect of the creature that made the killing blow is not awarded any XP, and if the enemy is only "knocking out" creatures instead of killing them, there's, for example, 90 89(+ Samurai's level)%, or 50(+ 5x Samurai's level), or just (10x Samurai's level)% chance that the Samurai commits Seppuku not allowing the enemy to use the Samurai for their own purposes.

Since the Samurai never runs from battle, this ability could counter it, so the enemy is never able to build up an army of converted Samurai, or use them for levelling up.

Remember, WftO is taking elements from all over the world, Witch Doctors and Necromancers are hardly European themed,

That idea is awesome and yet a little saddening, an awesome max level Samurai is FINNALY knocked out only for him to cut his stomach open and deny me a mighty minion, which to be fair does add character to a unit and it is a great idea.

Well sure, but by that logic Witch Doctors are too because Witch and Doctor are English words :)

But Necromancers are kind of Indo-European Barbarian themed (as opposed to to more "western" European tropes), with a bit of an Afro-carribean twist. The Necromancer looks like something out of a Conan book/movie.
Witch Doctors are more like Polynesian mixed with Afro-carribean and possibly with a bit of European. but mostly not.

The way I see it, the Empire is probably extremely large, probably larger than any REAL middle-ages empire ever managed to be, and that's saying quite a lot.
I could see the WftO Empire spanning all of the European/Asian continent, and much of the north of Africa.

Also I agree here, when I imagine an empire in WTFO I am thinking of a major superpower that has several species and countries all involved in join military alliance as under lords do not respect boundaries and no one is dumb enough to leave a single country to fend for itself as Under lords grow in strength from the war.

Jan 3, 2013

Based on original Empire unit list ( witch mostly consists of Knights, Dwarves and ''CO'' ) I don't think Samurai would fit in there, unless we talk about Samurai who will be Overlord's unit, but that would make even less sense.

Probably some sort of Empire Mercenaries, who aren't exactly Empire units but fight for their side for gold. This way game can have Samurai, Ninja or whatever class people would love to see included.

Feb 9, 2012

The units we've seen so far are European fantasy but I don't see why we can't mix some things up. The samurai could come from another land (someone else mentioned this) with a similar goal in mind. Since they both want to dispel evil the empire gladly hired them. Samurai wouldn't be encountered often, this could re-enforce the idea that they are from elsewhere and a limited number are within the Empires forces. As far as the average vs all thing that could be altered, I just gave it that since I couldn't think of any weaknesses at the time.

Now this could definitely pose a challenge, making samurai even more difficult to obtain. But doing so too often could become annoying after a while. Perhaps maybe lowering the percentage to like 35 or something along those lines?

Thats a pretty good point, And I think having multi cultural units would make things more interesting than just having the same basic theme & culture for every creature. And as someone else stated before the empire could cover multiple continents and contain a mix of different cultures. I hope this kind of puts the rest the out of place theme argument. If they already have suggestions from different cultures and such than why stop there?

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Now this could definitely pose a challenge, making samurai even more difficult to obtain. But doing so too often could become annoying after a while. Perhaps maybe lowering the percentage to like 35 or something along those lines.
sure, those percentages were just off the top of my head, they could be tweaked.

Also it's quite funny that the day I was looking up Seppuku on wikipedia, I go to the cinema and see The Wolverine, in which a bunch of people commit Seppuku in the first scene.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Not sure why people are reaching conclusions about the empire and what style it will be, we know very little of it and indeed we only have a few units revealed and some are dwarves and not Human so who knows what theme and culture they would represent and we might have other races as units like Dryads (on suggestions for units that was one that stuck in my mind)

An empire by default is made up of more than one country/ province and typically through out real life can be very wide reaching and have multiple influences, heck the British empire had plenty of foreign soldiers and today we still retain Gurkha soldiers in times of war, even if this empire had a European theme we could still see say Asian style armors of Samurai allied and/or subordinate warriors marching alongside them, after all the Huntress are part of an order that works with the empire but not for them so the sky is the limit in what the good guys can bring to the table.

OK something could changed, but I had suggestion for Asian unit before You were registerd on this forum and I remember when the topic was talked over. Let's look around, all units revealed ATM are from folklore or are european, but
... it doesn't mean that someone could ask about that on the next Livestram (I can't do that). So if You could ask our Devs, but I won't count on luck here and remember there is about 95% of units done by Devs (as Sim said not so long time ago), so who will ask them? :)

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Rethinking the matter at hand, I believe the problem about the Samurai is not so much that Wfto ought to have Medieval European units strictly (see AvatarIII's post), but rather that Samurai in particular have been frequently shoehorned into settings where they would indeed make positively no sense or seem unfitting, something which may or may not result in a negative bias towars them.

Also, weaboos. Stupid weaboos. It's all their fault!!!11eleven

Feb 9, 2012
We've already seen multi themed units revealed so a samurai wouldn't be so bad to be honest. I think its kind of funny that I suggested halting the out of theme/culture argument and walls of text just spawned on the same topic.

Rethinking the matter at hand, I believe the problem about the Samurai is not so much that Wfto ought to have Medieval European units strictly (see AvatarIII's post), but rather that Samurai in particular have been frequently shoehorned into settings where they would indeed make positively no sense or seem unfitting, something which may or may not result in a negative bias towars them.

Also, weaboos. Stupid weaboos. It's all their fault!!!11eleven

Are you considering me a weaboo?

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
hey fellas,

i think the discussion about european fantasy vs. other fantasy is very interesting.
and i would like to throw in that the devs already stated that most creature suggestion wont make into the game as they are suggested but maybe parts will be taken from them.
we still have to see how it will work out in the end but at the moment most empire units would fall into a european fantasy setting.
which isnt a bad thing since its consistent.

on the other hand we may see other campaigns made via DLC which could lead to some very new settings. maybe we will see some other culture fantasy settings in there.

wouldnt mind to see a Samurai then ;)

adding

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Are you considering me a weaboo?
Yes. Everyone who disagrees with me is automatically weaboo. The same applies for individuals who claim to not be weaboo, individuals who claim to be weaboo, and all individuals born in 1964.

Also, @LordofRiva: I think we had a very nice thread about DLCs/ Expansion packs adding further cultural themes, i.e. monsters of Asian or Mesoamerican mythology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom