• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Empire Creature] Swashbuckler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashbuckler

Combining the charm of a gentleman with the acrobatics and suave debonair witt and swordsmanship of one of the Three Musketeers (who didn't wield muskets,) the Swashbuckler is an adventure who will swing into action, spinning tales of his grand adventures that he bravely partook in and isn't afraid to go one on one with a legionary hell warrior.

He is, on top of this, a bit of a thief, but more akin to Robin Hood, and you're in for it, underlord.

Daring, dashing, proud and brave, the Swashbuckler is an atypical heroic force.

Passive Abilities:

Steal Gold - Attacking an enemy coffer tile with gold on it will take it from said enemy and add it to your own coffers.

Detect Traps - The Swashbuckler can detect and even attempt to remove or falsely trigger traps.

Active Abilities

Double Strike - Swinging with both his rapier and his parry dagger, the Swashbuckler uses his weapons offensively and defensively for a melee strike. They do slashing damage and piercing damage.

Swing Into Action - The Swashbuckler ropes the ceiling and swings forward two tiles, jumping over all obstacles, including traps and impassable terrain. Dangerous and smart heroes will use this to pass over lava and nasty traps.

Issue Challenge - The Swashbuckler issues a single target a duel by throwing a gauntlet at them for minor damage. That unit and the Swashbuckler are locked in combat and other warriors cannot interact with them at all until it ends.

Zorro, The Three Musketeers... folks like them should give you a good idea for the Swashbuckler's style and mystique.

From there... I have no idea how he could work. Sure, he's functionally the heroic thief/trap scouter. But other than that? I am at an impasse for ideas.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
I dont like the Detect Trap skill... there must be a way to disable them (like a Spell if you manage to get your are of Control into the eneny Territory but otherwise i think minions with a skill like that breaks the game for a defensive player.

The Issue challenge Ability doesnt make sense in my Opinion... its not bad or anything but my creatures ARE evil... if someone asked :"you stinking Gnarling lets fight Eye to Eye in a Duel" i EXPECT them to gang up to this Guy and Rofl stomp him ;)

Adding this to the list.

Mar 21, 2013
The Netherlands
I like the idea of the creature! ;) But I agree with Lordofriva: detecting traps might be too overpowered. Instead I like creatures wich are invulnerable to some kind of traps (like bile demon - gas traps etc.)...
I was also gonna say I do like the detect trap thingy. But Lordofriva has a good point that might break the balance. The immune to a certain trap idea might be better.

The Issue challenge Ability doesnt make sense in my Opinion... its not bad or anything but my creatures ARE evil... if someone asked :"you stinking Gnarling lets fight Eye to Eye in a Duel" i EXPECT them to gang up to this Guy and Rofl stomp him ;)
That is true. We are playing the side of evil. Why would our minions respect chivalry or whatever that falls under. They should wait until the challenge has been accepted and when he focuses on that one minion of yours the others should ban together and beat the living daylight out of him. That's how we roll on the evil side!

Steal Gold - Attacking an enemy coffer tile with gold on it will take it from said enemy and add it to your own coffers.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I might be remembering things wrong, but I think I recall there wasn't going to be any Thief unit or any other unit that was gonna steal gold. (I believe it came up in the last Q&A live stream) because it would involve such small amounts of gold it is kinda pointless.

Swing Into Action - The Swashbuckler ropes the ceiling and swings forward two tiles, jumping over all obstacles, including traps and impassable terrain. Dangerous and smart heroes will use this to pass over lava and nasty traps.
I like this one. Opens up fun situations. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of unit with this ability. :)

Mar 18, 2013
Perhaps the gauntlet/duel is magical in nature? Also, he could taunt his enemy: You could be the evilest demon of all time who has conquered nations, galaxies and is beyond fear, but nobody insults yo momma and gets away with it!

Again, this is just a concept, if anyone has any ideas how to turn a rope swinging rapier hero into reality, don't hesitate.

Castigator

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
The description says, creatures can't interfere, but will I be able to interfere and turn this cocky hero into a chicken?
Will the duel be broken, if the enemy is fleeing? Can I pick my dueling minion up to break the duel?
Probably the most important question is: Will this guy turn suicidal and challenge my most powerful minion into a fight he can't win, or will he try to duel weak enemies? It would suck, if this guy tried to ROFLstomp my support or low level creatures.
I mean, aside from logical issues. In history, more than a few duelants were cheated, because they came alone, while their adversaries cheated and used their numerical superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom