• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Empire] The Duelist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
So, since the Empire already has a nice, heavily armored unit, I sat down and started thinking about something that would be the complete opposite, yet still a non-support character (since we do know of at least one support Empire character (the Bard) that may make an appearance). An image of Inigo from The Princess Bride popped into my head, and I just ran with it and put a Dungeon Keeper spin on the archetype.

And I left a reference in there, a very obvious one.

I'm not sure if I like the abilities entirely, but the passive seems like something that would make this character a bit unique. They'd be dangerous in small battles, but less so in large ones.

The Duelist
A balanced, but lightly armored melee combatant. Specializes in single combat.

There are some people that look at combat from an economist's point of view. They realize that there are certain variables that can be manipulated for profit. For instance: "Where am I?" and "Where are the sharp, pointy things?" Those who realize that wearing thick, heavy armor limits their ability to get away from sharp, pointy things usually decide to do something safer, like knitting or kraken hunting. Those who don't are called Duelists.

Duelists are mobile, well dressed warriors that favor light weapons, capes and high heeled boots. They are reckless, quick to anger, quick to lash out when angered, and quick to make a tactical withdrawal when things don't turn out quite like they expected. However, don't let their mannerisms fool you; they are capable combatants, as quick with a blade as they are with their tongue, and they, unlike most heroes, are more than willing to use underhanded tactics to secure a victory. They pride themselves as masters of single combat, and rightly so - so long as their opponent is in melee range.

A duelist's greatest strength is his ability to overcome almost any enemy in melee, one-on-one combat. His light armor, however, makes him susceptible to attacks from a distance, and a few well-timed arrows can send this dashing fellow "dashing" to an early grave.

By the way, he's not left handed. He only appears to be.

Passive Traits
  • Focused Fighting: The Duelist is best at fighting a single foe at once and can't deal with larger groups. When within the vicinity of only one opponent, the Duelist does increased damage and increased resistances. When facing only two or three opponents, this bonus decreases. When in a battle with four or more opponents, this benefit is lost entirely.
Active Abilities
  • Pierce: With a precision strike, the Duelist makes a melee attack that ignores half of all physical defenses (but not immunities).
  • Riposte!: The Duelist parries the next melee attack made against him in the next three seconds. If an attack is parried, then the Duelist hits the enemy with the same attack damage. This ability does not carry over magical effects or stuns, but may inflict other non-magical effects of the parried attack (such as bleeding or immobilization). When the Duelist uses this ability, his sword switches from his left hand to his right.
  • Dirty Fighting: The Duelist temporarily blinds his opponent, allowing them to take actions as usual, but causing all non-area effect abilities to miss for several seconds.

EDIT: May I request he sport curly black hair and a mustache?

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I'm not sure if it would be godlike. The creature is meant to be situational. Dirty Fighting should have a substantial cooldown to prevent abuse, and Riposte only works on melee attacks. Put this creature in a group conflict with casters and archers and he can go down pretty quickly if he's focused on. At least, that's what I had in mind.

EDIT: At least, I'd rather he not be godlike compared to other creatures when possessed. He should be fun and his mobility should be useful for dodging ranged attacks while in possession mode, but he shouldn't absolutely outshine others.

Jan 22, 2012
I mean with my kind of playstyle aka pick enemies bit by bit with possessed creature. In campaign (vs heroes) i had many duels so having this creature would be really good for that. But i agree it would be bad vs mass armies. :/

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
  • Overall, I like it. Well rounded concept and abilities, but...
  • The 'melee fighter' role is quite saturated right now, so there isn't really room for something like this, however...
  • The passive is suited very well to an assassin-like unit, and I may end up using it on a unit in that role.
  • The concept - and specifically, Riposte! - reminds of something from another game ;)

Jan 22, 2012
Fiora anyhow ?

Well how can we know that role is oversaturated if we don't know about what you guys have :D

Well i think duelist could be modified to be some kind of an assassin anyway :p

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
I quite like this idea, although I am slightly biased to fencers since I done it for quite some time. I was toying with an idea of a unit with some sort of rapier or "pointy" weapon being able to pierce multiple enemies, potentially offering crippling or bleeding out opponents.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Even if the suggestion itself doesn't make it into the game, the fact that the passive may end up helping is good enough to hear. I will agree with Sarevokus' thought that the Duelist could be refluffed to be some sort of assassin... if a posh one.

EDIT: And if you want a weapon able to pierce multiple foes, you may consider a pikeman or really strong javelineer.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I've been thinking about this unit:
I really like it. Personally I think riposte should not automatically parry the next attack, but a passive ability called 'parry' (which gives a chance for melee physical attacks to be parried) should be added and once riposte is activated the next successful parry would immediately result in a full strength attack which momentarily stuns enemy (due to the surprise counter attack)

Also he should wield the classic duelling rapier and dagger combination. Perhaps with the classic duellists salute animated in at the end of a battle.

Also change pierce to lunge which has a greater range of attack (useful if fighting a stronger enemy and the duellist could retreat slowly staying out of reach)

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I like the concept, the empire has plenty of upfront tank/blitzer creatures so a flanker creature would be good.

Sim has already said there are a few to many melee units but have you considered him being a bit of a skirmisher maybe with some throwing knives? or is it set in stone.

I like his single combat boost and love the armour piercing ability as it really does give him some assassin esque ability, a dashing feather capped man with a cape and a knife in one hand and rapier in the other hand is kind of how I imagine him, but I am biased due to the warhammer fantasy dogs of war unit

Vesperos duelists.jpg

anyways good idea, hope it is incorporated into the game.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
He should also have an ability called 'footwork': due to extensive training in fencing and sword mastery his footmanship gives him the chance to avoid triggering traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom