• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Empire Unit] Dryad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
From the Empire units we've seen so far, we've got the Lawful Good units of the Church with the Priestess and the Inquisitor and some more Neutral Good units with the Firebreather and the Juggernaut, so I was thinking the Empire could use some Chaotic Good added to the mix. I also think they need another female unit to add to their sex appeal, much like the fairy did in DK2. And so I thought that a Dryad, or something nature-aligned like it, would be an appropriate choice. I also thought it would make a suitable counterpart to the Necromancer, as a Dryad would represent life and nature while the Necromancer represents death and the unnatural.

Summary: The Dryads are the guardians of those verdant green abominations known as forests. As friends to the trees and the animals, they are not all that fond of Underlords and their habit of razing their woodland homes to the ground. As such, they will begrudgingly help the civilized forced of the Empire by joining them in their crusades against the forces of Darkness.
Faction: Empire
Type: Intelligent
Role: Support unit for beasts, backline caster
Basic Attack: Thorn Shot - the Dryad shoots a sharp thorn from her hand, doing piercing damage.
Offensive Power: Weak
Defensive Power: Moderate
Resistances: Weak vs Fire and Slashing, Strong vs Shock and Blunt

Abilities:
Friend of the Animals (Passive) - The Dryad uses her connection with nature to entice allied beast units to follow and guard her.
Root (Active) - The Dryad roots itself to the ground, boosting its defense and adding thorn damage against melee attackers but making it unable to attack on its own. All allied beasts in the vicinity receive some buffs to health, attack, and resistance.
Allure (Active) - The Dryad targets a hostile unit and uses magic to temporarily make the target unable to resist her beauty and have it move towards her. This will draw unsuspecting prey into her territory where her pack of beasts await to rip apart those that threaten her, and is most dangerous when used against spellcasters who might do her harm. Does not work on most undead.

Appearance: A female that is part human, part plant. Here's some concepts I liked.

dryad.jpg
dryad2.jpg
228px-Dryad_(Children_of_Mana).png

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I approve of this unit. Not sure to what extent I like the staple 'lets make it a sexy woman' model, but details...

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
I always like typical mythical creatures to be in the game (such as dwarves, elves, trolls etc.), so I highly approve this unit...I like the Chunder, because he reminds me of a folkloric troll...

Jan 7, 2012
Does the dryad "steal" neutral beasts she encounters on the map like bloodlings, or will she summon the animals on her own?
She seems like the hero version of the necromancer-I like her, Maybe she could make plants grow, like big roots, to weaken your dungeon walls or randomly hardening earth tiles with roots arund her as an extra annoyance. (so dryads could "build" root dungeons were they are patrolling)

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Maybe she can be introduced in a map, where the elven sequoia tree's roots go deep into the underground realms and they want to protect the trees from the corrupt presence, that invades their forest from below?
It would make sense, that these nature spirits would try to oppose you. I like the concept. Not many things have good printed all over themselves like the spirits and guardians of nature. I am already thinking how hilarious it would be to 'convice' them to follow your cause.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Love the idea! Great symbolism to with a creature of nature and life opposed to underlords who are going to employ a bunch of undead, good stuff and ehres a like from me :D

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Does the dryad "steal" neutral beasts she encounters on the map like bloodlings, or will she summon the animals on her own?
As a hero unit she'd probably bring some hero beasts with her through the gateway, or already have some placed with her. As to recruiting neutral beasts, that's a possibility as well - if the devs decide to implement this unit they would need to determine if that's balanced. It raises the possibility of a campaign level where you could have a bit of a race against the Dryads to recruit the beasts on the map as one of the viable strategies of winning the level.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I do like the idea of a druid-style caster for the Heroes, but I think having the dryad as a "pretty-girl-with-some-twigs-glued-on" is a bit overkill. Personally I'd go for something more akin to Age of Mythology's dryad or maybe TES:Skyrim's Spriggan, that is, woman-shaped trees which represent nature both in its beauty but also in its fury.

Edit: And that's what she looks like when you cut her tree...

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
has anyone seen Dryads in warhammer fantasy? lemme find a picture..

dryads.jpg

I really like the whole "the good side is not exactly shining white knights" and I guess with that theme which includes the Inquisitors then the girly Dryad might not suit it as has been said but I still love the idea of Dryads, would these be more acceptable? I mena they ram skeleton cages on their branches and look like they are not messing around.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Those ones are a bit more ent-like that I would prefer. I'd prefer they be recognizably human. Even if not 'sexy' I think it should be female to go with a Mother Nature theme, representing both the beauty and fury of nature. One of the 'darker' ones I liked when searching is this one:

evil-dryad-236840.jpg

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Those ones are a bit more ent-like that I would prefer. I'd prefer they be recognizably human. Even if not 'sexy' I think it should be female to go with a Mother Nature theme, representing both the beauty and fury of nature. One of the 'darker' ones I liked when searching is this one:

View attachment 563
okay cool and I get where you are coming form, also yea that newer picture looks pretty damn intimidating in it's own way (I am a sucker for glowing eyes) also with the allure ability yea their has to be some beauty which is okay with me, that said it claims that they are lured and then attacked by the beast packs, does this refer to the beast taming ability or does she have a distinct ability to temporarily summon some beast creatures?

Kind of like Skyrim Spriggan who calls forth a bear to help it (though I wonder what beast would be summoned underground in a dungeon)

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
also with the allure ability yea their has to be some beauty which is okay with me, that said it claims that they are lured and then attacked by the beast packs, does this refer to the beast taming ability or does she have a distinct ability to temporarily summon some beast creatures?

Kind of like Skyrim Spriggan who calls forth a bear to help it (though I wonder what beast would be summoned underground in a dungeon)
It refers to the beast taming ability. The Dryad is a slightly more durable than normal support caster on her own, and relies on others to do her fighting for her. She's best with beasts due to the Root ability, but the Allure ability is still useful when she's with any other strong melee units.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
heh nice thought, I was pondering the Dryad ripping a piece of branch off, chucking it to the ground and it speed growing into a fighting tree creature, you know like how dragonball z had Nappa plant saibamen.

Of course beast charming is still pretty good an idea but I am sort of wondering about the beasts, some are classed as beasts on account of not being intellegent but like the Gargoyle is unnatural and it seems odd that a Dryad could coax an un-intelligent unnatural creature into her service.

Not trying to nit pick at all as I really like the concept and hope the writters take note of this especially as there are not many confirmed hero creatures, just trying to wrap my mind around some of the aspects of it.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
That sounds like a great idea. Now all we need is a neutral group of invisible underground Nomads who worship the giant worm god and can ride them. Add the collection of underground spices as a main objective and we're getting somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom