• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Empire Unit] (supreme) Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Titan
titan.JPG

Highlight – Supreme Metal forged Empire unit, fearless and terrifying in battle that can be repaired in the forge (at a cost)
Type– Intelligent
Role – Front line attacker
Acquired by– (Hero)
Basic attack– Slash with sword.

Offensive power – High
Defensive power – High
Health points – High
Resistances – Immune to poison & disease, resistant to cold, weak vs electricity
Movement – average
Work – Prayer, guard, train
Entertainment– Prayer, Combat, tavern!
Special Needs– Needs no sleep, but can only be healed or repaired at forge (spell wont work)
Upgrades – None

(T1) Polished: The shiny polished body of the Titan can be irritating to ranged casters as spells have a tendancy to back fire in roughly the direction they came from (only a small chance)
(T2) Colossal strength: The great limbs of the titan have pretty spectacular strength and reach, resulting in the titan’s attacks to be able to strike multiple foes at once (splash damage)
(T3) Gigantic: (*** in dk1 you could run through enemies, not sure if that’s still case, but the titan shouldn’t allow this – he’s massive and should act as a block)
(A1) Reconstruct: When low on hp the titan will go to the forge and call for a smithy (any forge worker) to repair their bodies. (made this an ability so it can ONLY be used while the titan is still alive, so you can’t resurrect it)

(A2) Launch: The titan will strike upwards sending his victim flying backwards.

The Titan is a glorious creation of the empire. Loyal and lethal! Simple as that!

Appearance: Huge (8ft) gladiator-esque male, made out of shiny polished steel.

Loves: Drinking, eating, fighting.

Hates: electricity and imps! (not a fan of dwarves either – generally hates small things)

Anger reaction: (could freeze in the middle of a corridor blocking it off as a statue)

Lair: none

Obtainable By: Hero

How Introduced: Late/right near end of campaign, have to bring down this titan blocking a pathway to progress.

Entrance Effect: Quaking walls.

ADVISOR QUOTE: Oh dear one of the empires statues is on the loose,,, you’d better sort it out before it gets rusty.

Torture: Eyes and liver pecked at by birds (Prometheus reference)

Jun 26, 2013
I like it, especially the freezing into a statue when angry. Maybe you could throw in a ceiling collapse attack where the titan strikes the ceiling causing rocks to fall on heads.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
The fact that in the title there is the word 'supreme', is this guy intended to be some late campaign, boss-ish guy?

Only slight issue that makes me a little uneasy about this idea is how typically Ancient Greek the word 'titan' is, which I don't feel really fits the universe :(. I might suggest that the idea might work if the structure/stats of the creature were kept, only under a different name maybe.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Titan really is just a word, it of course is immediately associated with the titans o Greek mythology, but its also used to describe things in modern language... It's in the etymology of the metal titanium, thus named because of its strength.
There are always going to be cross overs of different mythologies and cultures in any fantasy game, as most of our modern day views on fantasy are based on bastardisations of mythological creatures and heroes.

Also rather than using ridiculous made up words, we use words from our imaginative vocabulary to describe things so that everyone knows what it is. This unit isn't actually a 'Titan'; the Titan would be the name given to this animated steel statue by the empire, so it's mainly a nickname, but clearly describes it as something colossal and dangerous. Just thank me it's not called a 'colossal'.
Also These guys shouldn't be bosses to the same level as the avatar in dk1, but be more extremely elite and sparingly used regular units that feature very late game.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Stone Knight from DK2 dropped a tear.

Well, this guy could play his role in WFTO.

I sort of feel like this also. I loved the Stone knights and was impressed when Horny struck them with his scythe which did absolutely nothing though I was seething with disbelief that they are so brittle that tacklig them shattered them.

A powerful late game hero unit like them which this reminds me of is ah-okay in my book. Also I like the Prometheu reference but I love mythology so maybe I am just wierd like that.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Titan really is just a word, it of course is immediately associated with the titans o Greek mythology, but its also used to describe things in modern language... It's in the etymology of the metal titanium, thus named because of its strength.
There are always going to be cross overs of different mythologies and cultures in any fantasy game, as most of our modern day views on fantasy are based on bastardisations of mythological creatures and heroes.

Also rather than using ridiculous made up words, we use words from our imaginative vocabulary to describe things so that everyone knows what it is. This unit isn't actually a 'Titan'; the Titan would be the name given to this animated steel statue by the empire, so it's mainly a nickname, but clearly describes it as something colossal and dangerous. Just thank me it's not called a 'colossal'.
Also These guys shouldn't be bosses to the same level as the avatar in dk1, but be more extremely elite and sparingly used regular units that feature very late game.

Well, if people don't generally think of Greek mythology when they hear/see a titan, and I am in fact a minority case, then that's fine. If it turns out that people do generally think of Greek mythology when they hear/see a titan, then the name may be inappropriate. I do appreciate that it is unlikely that most people don't think of Greek mythology, but it might be a consideration if it turns out people do generally associate that name Greek mythology.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Well, if people don't generally think of Greek mythology when they hear/see a titan, and I am in fact a minority case, then that's fine. If it turns out that people do generally think of Greek mythology when they hear/see a titan, then the name may be inappropriate. I do appreciate that it is unlikely that most people don't think of Greek mythology, but it might be a consideration if it turns out people do generally associate that name Greek mythology.

Might be awesome if this titan unit had a burning torch seeing as the titan of legend was said to of stolen fire and gave it to Humans, after all the torture animation fits what with the liver being picked out and eaten.

Last edited:

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Yer sorry, no I wasn't saying that it doesn't immediately make people think of Greek mythology - as let's face it, it screams it - what I'm saying is that the word Titan (because of its roots in mythology) is an immediate analogy of sorts that clearly describes what the unit is about. It's a reference that everyone would get, that can imaginatively (because of its frequent use in modern language) be removed from its original roots... Look at 'The Titanic' that was purely named for its size, had nothing to do with mythology

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Yer sorry, no I wasn't saying that it doesn't immediately make people think of Greek mythology - as let's face it, it screams it - what I'm saying is that the word Titan (because of its roots in mythology) is an immediate analogy of sorts that clearly describes what the unit is about. It's a reference that everyone would get, that can imaginatively (because of its frequent use in modern language) be removed from its original roots... Look at 'The Titanic' that was purely named for its size, had nothing to do with mythology

I think you have a full and fair point there. I think it would be useful for some more people to give their opinion to see how they interpret the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom