• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fantasy novels from an evil perspective

toffeejay

Crackpot
Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Wondering if anyone has ever read any decent fantasy novels which have a bit of moral ambiguity or feature evil protagonists?

Fantasy novels for me are often let down by their essentially 'good versus evil' approach.

The most moral ambiguity I have read in it would GRR Martin but for me I wouldn't class it as 'Fantasy' but more medieval with fantasy elements.

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
Founder
That iss a really a tough one, I'll have a think about it.

That said I have heard great things about the Elric of Melniboné series by Michael Moorcock, by most accounts Elric is supposed to be one of the best anti-heroes in fantasy literature. Of course the books are pretty old book, and as such a lot of what made this character very original in its day has been done to death by those it influenced.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
ever tried the "song of Ice and fire"? (known as game of thrones in TV) by George R.R, Martin in which the border between good and Bad are nearly nonexistent ? (and yes it takes some of them as the Protagonist)

toffeejay

Crackpot
Founder
Dec 25, 2011
ever tried the "song of Ice and fire"? (known as game of thrones in TV) by George R.R, Martin in which the border between good and Bad are nearly nonexistent ? (and yes it takes some of them as the Protagonist)
cough, cough, didn't read through the first post... "The most moral ambiguity I have read in it would GRR Martin but for me I wouldn't class it as 'Fantasy' but more medieval with fantasy elements." ;)

Nepene

Blood Imp
Backer
Jan 7, 2013
Gregory Maguire has reworked a number of novels from the perspective of the villain. They all seem right from their perspective.

War of the Spider Queen. DnD book, about some very charming and evil drow. They tend to justify their behaviour well.

The deathgate cycle, for the first few books.

The coldfire trilogy. About an evil man who is the thing mothers scare their children. His reputation is entirely justified.

The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Top Bottom