• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Favourite Ancient-Medieval cultures

toffeejay

Crackpot
Founder
Dec 25, 2011
I studied Ancient History at University which covered from the ancient Near East to Greece and Rome.

For me I love the Romans, such a vast, organised culture that despite many instances where they could and should have been defeated managed to steamrole through the known world through sheer determination.

Others I'm interested in would be the Hittites who I found interesting in their continual struggle with the Egyptians, Assyrians and Babylonians.

Finally the Vikings. As a kid I never liked them much but over the last couple of years I have discovered that they had a lot more elements to them than the stereotypes as depicted. Essentially maritime merchants and explorers with piracy being more opportunistic, it’s funny to see how they are portrayed as marauding churches and raping women. Especially when the barbaric nature of Christians converting by the sword and massacring Jews and Pagans throughout Scandinavia and Russia goes mainly unreported.

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
Founder
Essentially maritime merchants and explorers with piracy being more opportunistic, it’s funny to see how they are portrayed as marauding churches and raping women. Especially when the barbaric nature of Christians converting by the sword and massacring Jews and Pagans throughout Scandinavia and Russia goes mainly unreported.
History is written by the victor as they say. Overtime propaganda becomes "fact".

For example according to the Romans the Celts were said to be a race of disgusting pagan savages, when really they were far cleaner than the Romans (In that the Celts did it as part of a daily routine) and had a lot more in the way of equality between genders. Of course I'm sure the Celts had their flaws, but I'm not really a history buff, and just really love Celtic knotwork. :D

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
History is written by the victor as they say. Overtime propaganda becomes "fact".
True Story, Al Qaeda isn't even real from a documentary I saw the people in Afganstan didn't even know who they were or that they even existed.
Anyway Theirs so much we don't know about the past.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
While I don't claim to be a scholar on the subject, I was always a fan of the pondering philosophical nature of the Greeks. Some of their mythology is also pretty awesome.
The Greeks were well ahead of their time compared to the "Romans".
Anyone think Atlantis was real or not?

Jan 7, 2012
The babylonian culture is very interesting, the tower of babylon for example existed and was completed unlike the bible tells, it was used as a temple for the god marduk. The top of it was coloured with the holy babylonian blue, when you looked at the 90 metres high zikkurat it looked like it would melt into the sky, a metapher that was used by the babylonian king and misinterpreted by the writers of the old testament.
also the germanic tribes and the nabatean culture with their awesome capital petra have an own fascination too.

Jari Nierop

Warden
Backer
Dec 31, 2012
The Netherlands
I really like the Ancient Greek and Roman Cultures, good old glorious times which often makes me wonder how present day would've been like if the Roman empire never had fallen. I am also very fascinated by the old nordic cultures.

Top Bottom