• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Feedback Request: UI

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Hey folks,

We’re about to start working on the next (and hopefully final) iteration of our UI and are looking for any feedback and ideas that you may have!

The specific things we are looking for feedback on are:
  1. What is bad about the UI at the moment?
  2. What is good about the UI at the moment?
  3. What do you find confusing about the UI (or game as a whole) at the moment?
  4. Thinking back to when you first played, what could the UI have done better to better explain the mechanics of the game?
  5. What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?
  6. What features from the UI in other games should we look at?
And two things that we very much know already:
  • Accessing the Veins of Evil is a nightmare
  • We need to add (and will be adding) a units panel
Thanks!

(Steam forum thread)

Tommonius

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Okay not sure if this counts but you mentioned first time you played, and the first thing I noticed was and still noticed to a degree is when you highlight blocks to be dug out I find it a bit difficult to notice which ones I have highlighted.

Took me a while to dig out some Permafrost as the colours do not contrast enough in difference, I am slightly colour blind though (shades are a problem) so I bet others do not have this problem but if the highlighted blocks stood out a bit more it would save people like me a few more minutes.

I grasped the game quickly enough through your interface, something you may want to add (and probably would anyway) is when we say right click on a build icon panel it would zoom us to one of those rooms already built and another right click could cycle us to another of the same room.

Brought it up as I was not sure which rooms were which sometimes as they were prebuilt, of course the more we play the game the more we will remember which room is which at a glance but I did build I believe a Barracks and a torture chamber by accident.

hope this helps.

edit note: to make my 2nd point clear in a certain game that has no likeness or bearing to WTFO a flag with a symbol of the room appeared if the room was clicked on so anyone not familiar with the rooms knew what they were looking at.

I guess a flag would look bat in these nice looking rooms but an identifier would be good.

Oct 17, 2013
its very hard to identify creatures properly. i dont know if its their size or the lighting thats the issue.
i think a kind of help or tutorial ingame would help with telling what creatures do what, what rooms do what and also how to attract creatures and stuff. Starcraft 2 has one of these ingame and its useful for new players to the game.

its very hard to identify creatures properly. i dont know if its their size or the lighting thats the issue.
i think a kind of help or tutorial ingame would help with telling what creatures do what, what rooms do what and also how to attract creatures and stuff. Starcraft 2 has one of these ingame and its useful for new players to the game.
The campaign will introduce everything* within the game! Fear not!

*almost everything, but all units, rooms, potions and spells should be covered ;)

May 22, 2013
Netherlands
In my opinion:
>The button to open the sins tab is a bit small
>The sinstab menu thingy (where you invest sins) itself could use some form of an "x" to close it or should close when you click outside of it
>A creature tab (comparable to the rooms tab we already have) would be nice too
>Would be awesome if we could right click in our rooms/traps menu on an icon and that te screen would then go to the nearest lair/whateveryouclicked

Great UI, it's really clear and I love it!

lemon-rev

Cultist
Founder
Dec 4, 2012
The smallest parts of it, Sell tile button Clicking on the smallest box for the mastery box from the UI,

It would be good to see a second panel with creatures just on top even if they where small icons so you could have a number above said head to say how many you have picked up, and then you could select say that head with number in it to pull out creatures to fight ?
  1. What is good about the UI at the moment?
The ability to flick between spells rooms and castings easily
  1. What do you find confusing about the UI (or game as a whole) at the moment?
Nothing seems confusing coming from a player who played Dk1 + 2, The only thing thats a little troublesum is that newest bar where you have all those silly flags if your going to stick with that,
At least make them dulled out untill you actually use them, as for the rally flag thats the major flag that every thing comes to well other from that yea good stuff.
  1. Thinking back to when you first played, what could the UI have done better to better explain the mechanics of the game?
Early game play from when it was first out, game broke far too often to care for the state of the bar, it was passable, just as it is now, Waiting for the patches is the only thing that seems lacking,

Small patches to fix the game can be done quickly and patched out insterad of having to wait an entire month for the major patch to pull though so everyone has to wait for the game to update and then play the dang game.

Game is much better than it was but still needs work.
  1. What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?
Apart from that Second bar i talked about earlier i really can't think of much else that needs to be done with it.
Just better bars than have those incredibly small sections near the far left of the UI to show users what is there.
  1. What features from the UI in other games should we look at?
Original Dk1, and dk2, Thats all.

Wolv

Dwarven Worker
Jan 14, 2014
What is bad about the UI at the moment?
- That which you know already.
- Gold, Mana and Vein could use some stylizing by having their own unique symbols that match with the game's style instead of being a generic diamond shape.
- The shield health bar for creatures and heroes is somewhat annoying to read/see, somehow needs to be easier to see. Maybe thicker outlines.
- Room icons feel kind of bland, not necessarily out of place but it would be nice if they weren't all yellow. Think DK1 room icons, those were nice.
- It's not the easiest thing to see what creature you picked up. A small icon next to the hand (toggle-able) for each creature would help.

What is good about the UI at the moment?
- Very nice accessibility, one click to reach anything.
- Nice location on the screen.
- Background blends neatly with the game.

What do you find confusing about the UI (or game as a whole) at the moment?
- The room icons kind of confused me at first, it's part because it's new and part because it's not stylized enough to match the rooms for easier memorization.

Thinking back to when you first played, what could the UI have done better to better explain the mechanics of the game?
- Perhaps add some text to buttons, not sure how that would look like. Possibly make that toggle-able so people can choose icon only or icon+text.

What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?
- A shortcut button to switch between the game and a big map that overlays. If possible without looking too shitty, pressing it again will drop the background. So you get a transparent map overlapped on the game. (Pressing a third time will bring it back to normal UI mode.)
- A shortcut button to bring me a coffee.

What features from the UI in other games should we look at?
- Probably take a look at DK1, which seems an obvious choice.
- Warcraft 3 also had a pretty neat UI. Especially when selecting units.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
Backer
Jan 23, 2013
i'd like to see something similar to DK1's '?' button which you could use to get specific info on a single unit, and i think if you held it over something a little message came up saying what it was and what it did... might have made that last bit up lol, but still useful.

Perhaps a more imaginative realisation of things such as the 'sin research progress bar', and the 'mana meter'. Maybe more linked visually to the lore of what sin research and mana are in the world of the game? (of course i don't know what that lore is, so i can't think of any suggestions) but generally something more aesthetic and less purely utility.

I also feel that the current UI is too tiny!!! I personally would prefer to sacrifice a larger field of view of my dungeon for a more attractive, and easier to interact with UI.

other than that; it's not like i'm confused by the current UI, however, it just feels very sparce... maybe I'm alone, but I'd almost like to feel that my field of view is framed by the UI.

(also I know this isn't DK... however, if I'm gonna compare the two DK games; I found the UI in DK1 more attractive than in DK2... had a gnarlier feel to it. so that's some indication to how i would *ideally* like to see in WftO,,, DK2's seemed to reflect more the technology of the time in a "see how slick we can make things now" kind of way, as opposed to making it perfectly suit the atmosphere of the game)

Sep 20, 2013
Parts Unknown
Note: this is my opinion and it will change in time.

What is bad about the UI at the moment?

Bad is such a negative term to speak of! Let's say needs work on. Well... I think the UI is to small. It takes quite the skill to target the icon you are aiming for! like the ? or the $ button. So the overall HUD is small (and it doesn't use the edges). What also bothering me is the cluttering of rooms. There are too much rooms for the UI to be practical.

What is good about the UI at the moment?

The amazing presentation and art! You guys made good-looking icons for the HUD and the HUD itself is also very good

What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?

two Options:

the revamped UI or the Dial UI

Revamped UI (rooms are now split up in: Wrath, Greed, Sloth and Core)

upload_2014-1-15_23-3-25.png

Dial UI for Rooms:

When Right-clicking on ground it brings up the Room Dial UI: after hovering over the desired tab it brings the corresponding rooms

Example (See Dwelvers)

upload_2014-1-15_23-10-47.png

What features from the UI in other games should we look at?

Dwelvers, Evil Genius, Dungeon keeper (DUH ;))

I hope it helped you!

Jan 7, 2012
Sorry if not all points are about the UI. I just.. wanted to let you know what goes on in my mind.

The mini-creatures you picked up slides all over the screen of you move your hand around the map with them.
No big and loud warnings if your dungeon core is under attack (like a red screen flicker).
Money isnt important atm, but with creatures taking payments, a warning that you run low on cash would be great.
It is very difficult to grab a specific creature you want out of a crowd of creatures.
A "total payday value" of your creatures would be great to see somewhere.
If you pick up more then one creature, it would be nice to see a row of the picked up creatures or something like that.

2. What is good about the UI at the moment?

The green grid if you want to dig out some stuff. I dont know if it is in the current version, but I remember it was in the game earlier.
The hand-size is great. Not too small, not too big.
The UI looks great so far. The minimap-square and all over UI elements looks well sized.

5. What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?

Goto: Dungeon Heart
Goto: Battle (if pressed again, goto the next battle)
Goto: Last point of interest (e.g. Creature XY enters your Dungeon -> Goto: Creature)

I sometimes like to watch the battle in the "shoulder view" of my minions, but I doesnt want to intercept the battle with the direct-view-controll spell. If I zoom in normally, why not make the last zoom-level a "over-the-shoulder"-view, where the camera is below the ceiling?

A few suggestions I can think of:

Maybe when you have the spells tabbed open, the mana bar can become more prevalent somehow? Maybe built into the tab so you can more easily see how much mana you have left.

When I first played the game, the difference between mana and sins was not initially obvious, might work better with some kind of Lore-friendly symbol next to both, gold could use one too, but the yellow color shows what it is well enough.

I know the minimap isn't in yet, but since we're able to rotate our camera I might like to have the option to use a circular (radar style) map, so that I can know whats nearby by orientation. Key word there however is 'option' as I could see using the square minimap as well.

Another thing that should probably be a toggleable option (maybe even a button in the UI itself) is to make the shields on creatures larger. I bring this up since I basically have to zoom in all the way to see what my creature's status is, I could see this becoming problematic when creature unhappiness, and dropping spells on your creatures are both things that need to be dealt with. Maybe have some kind of static size when the option is turned on, an easily readable one, and the shields as they are when turned off.

Oct 17, 2013
I'm sure you're going to implement these but it would be nice to see some sort of bar above creatures that are training, corpses being turned into ghouls and also the duration left before an enemy is converted/turned into a spirit.

Jan 14, 2014
  1. What useful shortcuts or features do you think the UI should have?
Throwing some randoms out there...

-Maybe some updates in form of "Goto buttons" like in DK2 when a new creature type enters the dungeon, Payday, Jackpot Winner, Dungeon Heart Under Attack, Angry or Unfed Creature, etc. though these could get annoying in DK2 they still helped to see how your dungeon was progressing and helped maintain awareness while smackin' the warts off a Goblin or two in the dark recesses of my domain.
^(i also feel this crosses with the "SIM" aspect of the game really well, and we are going for groundbreaking genre crossovers, ;) like DK2 did so elegantly right?)

-Goto Button for an active battle that is happening.

-How about different shaded icons for rooms to show if they're full or not maybe you need a bigger Den and your Slaughterpen is running out of piglets too fast and you aren't aware, or maybe you got plenty of bunks n pigs for your Mistresses so they stay default in color, (this is vague but i could see some form of it being useful, or actually on second thought Richard Ridings telling us is the way to go!!!!)
-Ticker for Payday and it's estimated cost (maybe hover for the cost)

-Visible "Mana Regeneration Rate" would be sweet (not sure how mana is generated in WFTO though)

-Correct scaling costs of spells (imps don't just always cost 75 now do they...)

-As for dessert i would love to see some more animation in the UI, like selecting rooms tab and the icons roll/slide out onto the bar for an absolute delectable selection.

-Going for broke and obesity here.... Maybe some Richard Ridings thoughts on our selection of rooms. Even just an "Mmmmm" for the Slaughterpen or a "How Delightful" for my Torture Chamber. Anything like this would rock my ears off. (i'm sure we got some backers for the recording sess!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
-Going for broke and obesity here.... Maybe some Richard Ridings thoughts on our selection of rooms. Even just an "Mmmmm" for the Slaughterpen or a "How Delightful" for my Torture Chamber. Anything like this would rock my ears off. (i'm sure we got some backers for the recording sess!)
I really like this.

Jan 14, 2014
I really like this.
Thank you! i'm sure you guys could come up with some better stuff, but i think it adds a lot of humor and somewhat darkness to the overall feeling of the game and i live for that i kind of stuff (i think a lot of us do;) ) i couldn't tell you how many times R.R.'s caught me off guard in DK2 at like 3 A.M. and got me to chuckle to myself out loud, even though id heard the same quirky bit before.
If i was in your shoes i just wouldn't know whether to go more humor or more dark, both are worth it!

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Heres an idea i had, alternate to the "video orb" to the right, the minimap orb could double up as a video orb, and gold/research/mana/payday timer can go in it's place. the grey box is normally hidden, but shows when you select an option at the bottom, also I forgot to put a veins of evil button, but there is plenty of room round the video orb, or the buttons along the bottom can make room.
Sell would be within the rooms and defences submenus.
potentially you can have submenus upon submenus, ie creatures button brings up a creatures submenu, then each creature would bring up their own sub-sub menu.
guidea.png

May 22, 2013
Netherlands
Heres an idea i had, alternate to the "video orb" to the right, the minimap orb could double up as a video orb, and gold/research/mana/payday timer can go in it's place. the grey box is normally hidden, but shows when you select an option at the bottom, also I forgot to put a veins of evil button, but there is plenty of room round the video orb, or the buttons along the bottom can make room.
Sell would be within the rooms and defences submenus.
potentially you can have submenus upon submenus, ie creatures button brings up a creatures submenu, then each creature would bring up their own sub-sub menu.
View attachment 2874
Dev's please
The UI right now is sort of sufficient as-is, but this one seems a great deal more functional (and maybe more atmospherical)
Really love the orb in the right corner, don't know how hard or expensive that will be but it sounds awesome (click it to jump to event maybe?)

Top Bottom