• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FPS DROP? Report it here!

Feb 9, 2014
After I suggested through PM to v0id and Vrav (the man resposible for optimizing WFTO at the moment) about the possibility of a main FPS drop thread, here it is! Because of the few FPS drops I reported and this is the place where I can report my known FPS drops in-game to help Vrav finding the cause and fix the FPS drops.... and you! Yes, if you see the cause of a FPS drop in-game you can report it here! Also please provide us with you system specifications! Don't make new threads for FPS drops, but instead report them here!

Here is the list of known FPS drops:

Reproduced:
Not reproduced (already.) So, these are maybe not valid. Could the QA team and others try to reproduce these and report back about it here?:
  • Everytime the Dungeon Core pumps, you see that nice light animation. Well, if you zoom in a little or very much, you see soon that probably the light animation causes a FPS drop (variating from -10 FPS to -50 FPS, relying on how close you zoomed in.)
  • The smoke (VFX) of the Shadow probably causes also really hight FPS drops. See here: https://forum.subterraneangames.com...session-mode-results-in-a-huge-fps-drop.6388/
  • FPS drop if you zoom into a torture chamber prop whith a unit on it being tortured. See here: https://forum.subterraneangames.com...-prop-whith-a-unit-on-it-being-tortured.6390/
  • The green "smoke" animation that is used if a Beast spawns in your Beast Den and if a you throw a beast in the main prop in the Beast Den. This can result in a -25 FPS drop, relying on how close you zoomed in.
  • If you zoom into the primary prop of the Tavern, you can get a FPS drop of -25 FPS, relying on how much you zoom in. I suspect this is caused by the "lightning" in the Primary prop.
  • A huge FPS drop if the Star on the Sanctuary altar lightens; especially after the ritual is ready to use. Also the "glowing globe" above the Sanctuary altar, after the Ritual is ready to use, causes a FPS drop. Only really noticeble if you zoom in.
  • If you sacrifice a unit, drop him, at a Crypt prop, you'll firstly see a FPS drop of something like -15 FPS. If you drop an another unit on the same prop, you'll see an ANOTHER FPS drop of -15 FPS and if you drop a third unit on the Crypt prop, you'll see an another FPS drop of -15 FPS. This FPS drop relies again on how much you zoomed in and is probably caused by the fire/lighting animation.
  • If you are zoomed out the most, you'll see a huge FPS drop; to something like 25 FPS. But this is probably just caused by these and other FPS drops.
Seems like the main FPS drops are caused by lightning effects, which seems to cause almost all FPS drops.
  • FPS drop if you drop a Quick Freeze potion. Probably caused by the VFX of it. See here: https://forum.subterraneangames.com/threads/0-5-0-p23-fps-drop-when-using-quick-freeze-potion.6476/ I suspect the chilling mist to be the main cause of the FPS drop here.
  • FPS drop (like -80 FPS) if you press on a "loaded" Bone Chiller to activate the Chilling Mist to slow down enemys around it. Also the little mist you see when a Bone chiller is loaded causes an FPS drop (something like -25 FPS). The Chilling mist seems to be the cause of this here too.
So, the Chilling Mist also seems to be a main cause of FPS drops.

Will add more posts to this topic if I find more FPS drops. Please others, do this too to help the WFTO team developing this game.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Could you please Add Ticket number (670) Periodic slow downs to the list which im still suffering.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2014
This one could not be reproduced, I think it shouldn't be listed.
Why can I reproduce it then? And can Marados maybe also reproduce this at his old computer? And why were the devs then able to fix the FPS drop with the smoke of the Gateway Underworld? It is a real issue and I bet this will optimize all your FPS. Will post a video about it, the FPS drop with the Gateway Overworld, if you don't believe me. Sorry, but you have to believe me that the light effect of it reduces my FPS significantly if you zoom in as much as you can; till your screen is filled with the "white" light.

See attached images! :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Germany
When I start a map the first time, I still get the freeze for about 3s after selecting dirt.
After the freeze the game runs completely smooth again.

Feb 9, 2014
When I start a map the first time, I still get the freeze for about 3s after selecting dirt.
After the freeze the game runs completely smooth again.
This is a known problem and has nothing to do with FPS drops, see here: https://forum.subterraneangames.com...rth-the-screen-freezes-for-a-short-time.5908/

But can you add a message to that thread about the fact you have these freezes too and could you also attach your system specs? Could you also read through that whole thread and try if you can reproduce these freezes also with the Debug menu, console etc. (every time after first start, see thread)? Could you report this all back to us in that thread? You would help us a lot with it! :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Germany
This is a known problem and has nothing to do with FPS drops, see here: https://forum.subterraneangames.com...rth-the-screen-freezes-for-a-short-time.5908/

But can you add a message to that thread about the fact you have these freezes too and could you also attach your system specs? Could you also read through that whole thread and try if you can reproduce these freezes also with the Debug menu, console etc. (every time after first start, see thread)? Could you report this all back to us in that thread? You would help us a lot with it! :)
Thanks....I will do that next time I have some free time ;)

Marados

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2013
Germany
  • The light animation of the Gateway Overworld causes an FPS drop; especially if you zoom in.
I can also reproduce this!
It is one of the heaviest fps drops I noticed (not only on my old laptop).

So please let it stay listed.

Greetings, Marados

EDIT:
With my laptop I play on 30-40fps, when I zoom into the Overworld it hangs up to only 5-10 frames.
Even with my strong Pc I normally have sth around 200fps. Whenever I see the Overworld Gateway it decreases to only 70 fps! Terrible, isn't it...:D

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2014
This one could not be reproduced, I think it shouldn't be listed.
It is one of the heaviest fps drops I noticed (only on my old laptop).

Greetings, Marados
Mhuahahahaha, goodbye Peetfighter! ;) Lekker puh! :p

@Marados Is the FPS drop with the Gateway Underworld also fixed on your side, your old PC, since a few previews back? Just to be sure there isn't still a FPS drop at someone elses side :)

Thanks....I will do that next time I have some free time ;)
I and, I hope :), the developers will also appreciate this. Then we can maybe find the cause of the freezes with your help.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Peetfighter IS right on this.
it doesnt help us if we just write anything down that somebeody may or may not have seen.
Vrav will have to read through and test everything and it doesnt help if he has to test things that are basically not there.

anyways let it in the list (becuase i believe you have these issues) just try to make sure/wait until we make sure that the FPS drops are happening otherwise this list will be just a radnom link collection

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Why can I reproduce it then? And can Marados maybe also reproduce this at his old computer? And why were the devs then able to fix the FPS drop with the smoke of the Gateway Underworld? It is a real issue and I bet this will optimize all your FPS. Will post a video about it, the FPS drop with the Gateway Overworld, if you don't believe me. Sorry, but you have to believe me that the light effect of it reduces my FPS significantly if you zoom in as much as you can; till your screen is filled with the "white" light.

See attached images! :)

Greetings, Marados

EDIT:
With my laptop I play on 30-40fps, when I zoom into the Overworld it hangs up to only 5-10 frames.
Even with my strong Pc I normally have sth around 200fps. Whenever I see the Overworld Gateway it decreases to only 70 fps! Terrible, isn't it...:D
Peetfighter IS right on this.
To clarify Riva's post, no other Foundry members were able to reproduce this, that is why it was marked as Can't reproduce. Even for me it didn't happen despite my laptop having a hard time running WFTO.

Feb 9, 2014
To clarify Riva's post, no other Foundry members were able to reproduce this, that is why it was marked as Can't reproduce. Even for me it didn't happen despite my laptop having a hard time running WFTO.
Maybe you can put all system specs here of all computers you tested on if the light at the Gatway Overworld indeedly causes a FPS drop if you fully zoom in to it. Maybe it has something to do with Windows 8.1? Or what OS are you running on that old and new computer @Marados?

Greetings, Marados

EDIT:
Well, has anyone looked at the debug console when testing this? :D I have normally something around 60 FPS on my "new" computer and then it goes to something like 12 FPS if I zoom in to the Gateway Overworld. Even Marados can reproduce it on his very good new computer....

Top Bottom