• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fun with Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betwixt

Dwarven Worker
Jun 11, 2016
So I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun if the game had more varied environments?

All the things below are 1 tile in size, like a block of earth, and would be used to design maps; not as part of an Underlords arsenal.

Weak Dirt: Particularly shifting looking dirt, which after a minion steps across it falls away to reveal a chasm.
A neat trick to ruin the plans of any Underlord!

Poison Cloud: A bog with purple fog swirling around it, harmful to every Underlord's minions, wreaking havoc to their health.

Greedy Earth, Greedy Dirt: Sinister dirt with grim faces carved into it. Frighteningly, it would cost twice as much to build on these tiles once dug out.
A map with a chunk of these would change everything...

Blood Bloom: Awful smelling flowers covered in thorns. Minions feel an enormous sense of wellbeing around them, which increases their happiness as they pass by.
On large maps, blood blooms would affect where you place your lairs and such.

Ice: Harder than earth, and leaves behind a slippery ground; smaller minions move quicker over icy ground while those larger move even slower. Battling on icy ground will force Underlord's to be picky about their warbands.

Tomb: An ornate, crumbling stone tomb, with visible skeletons trapped in grey earth.
Smashing open these ancient tombs would release ghouls, who are loyal to whoever happens upon them.
For added fun, they could be set to hostile instead... Are they worth the gamble?

Grindstone: A tough sort of earth that releases raw experience when mined. Whatever is nearby gets it, no matter which Underlord's workers shattered it.
Careful planning and warband coordination must be used to gain full benefit.

Mega-fungus: A weird bioluminescent growth, mostly harmless; however, if it has open ground it will start to spread, filling in the gaps.
It is mined at the same rate as regular earth.
If it grows onto a room, it will destroy it.
As a side note, if not a fungus, it could be a jelly-like ooze.

Waterfall: A torrent of water falling from the overworld, it must have a pool of water around it on all sides, just to create a bit of logical consistency.
Fire-based and flying units cannot pass through a waterfall.

Rickety Rock: Looks almost like impenetrable rock, with just a glowing crack or two.
It cannot be mined.
Rickety rock is set on a timer chosen by the map designer, after the allotted time the rock explodes, opening the map up to the Underlords.

Feb 2, 2016
I find the Tomb quite interesting, a very creative idea indeed, would be wonderful for an undead based map. the Weak Dirt is genious, it gave me at least 5 new ideas for a new style of.. "enviromental hazzards" *grin*

Rickety Rock is a wonderful concept, it will allow division of areas of the map so it would be played as intended. might also be used to create an illusion of hero parties, blocked areas filled with heros could be sealed with this rickey rock, and then when desired, freed and unleashed uppon an underlord.

The poison cloud and Ice terrain are quite obvious, they really should make it in, I myself have already suggested a simillar thing quite long ago, would love to see it, same goes for the waterfall

I kind of dislike the "gready earth", the concept is cool, but the idea of flooding the map with faces, who intend to show as a "natural" part of the enviroment.. well it simply sounds unatural.. it sounds like it will flood parts of the map with detail, parts who should not be overdetailed, since they are suposed to be natural. instead, how about a very annoying landscape to build on, like sand or ice paths, that will elevate the cost of building rooms on them, since its quite annoying to build anything stable on a sand dune?

Blood Bloom sounds cool looking, I would love to see something like that, but I will always dislike anything that makes dungeon manegment easier, since well, this game already lacks quite alot of it. if your gonna have a terrain that makes creatures happy, then why build a tavern, a slaughter pen, why feed vamps with prisoners, and so on? this tile`s decorative value is potentialy very high, but I will really hate its effect on creatures.

Grindstoen, well.. we already have quite alot of ways to feed creatures with exp.. we can imbue spirits into them, feed them potions, train them, have them fight in a pit.. another way to earn exp? well I can see some cool scenarios in which underlords would compete each other to those rocks, but well... its not that original in my opinion, but I guess its a fine idea.

Mega Fungus: well it sounds definitly sounds like something a dungeon would have, and it makes me think of some really cool ideas, like for example, "Advancing lava", or a "Lave Pool" that would spread in a limited radius, and destroy anything in its path. but I think that it would be a quite a pain to design such a thing. It would definitly be horrfying to suddnly withness a mass of goo/fungus/lava munch on your rooms/minions. would be awsome :D

All in all, most of your ideas sound awsome, I will really like to post some them on my suggestion post, (I will ofcourse give you the credit) feel free to borrow some of mine too :D

Betwixt

Dwarven Worker
Jun 11, 2016
Thank you for the thoughtful responses!

With the Blood Bloom I'll concede we don't need anything to make minions happier, so I'll offer two options:

1. They're just decorative. Plus, you can build over them if they're in the way of your vile conquest.

2. They increase the happiness of the succubus, vampire and oculus, who appreciate style and beauty (in their own twisted away), but decrease the happiness of the chunder and augre who are more into industrial contraptions, not only that but the bafu avoid it as if it were a magical ward (you see, they suffer terribly from hay fever).

Feb 2, 2016
Ummm.. vamps/succubus indeed sound like the types that would like such decoration.. but I suggest that it should make them more productive, rahter then happy, so it wont be exploited to much. perhaps it should upset heros?

what about permission to post some of your ideas. with credit to you included? :D

Oh and sneezing is the least of their problems, their wings might swell, disabling their ability to fly, and in worse cases, it might inflame their airway, and cause a respiratory arrest.

Betwixt

Dwarven Worker
Jun 11, 2016
Some more!

Fool's Gold: Off yellow rock that glitters in the earth. When mined you have X number of seconds to get it to a vault before it vanishes.

Cave-in: Regular earth, but after a set time new earth falls from above to fill in the gap, unless you build a room there.

Quicksand: Workers can run across it, regular minions are slowed and large minions are swallowed whole! If any minion is severely low on health, they'll be swallowed too.

Hive: Like the tomb I suggested earlier, break open a hive for free neutral skargs... Or a pack of angry ones, whichever the designer selects.

Leyline: A vein of raw magic, pulsing with purple light. Any room you build on a leylines will be 20% more efficient. An Underlord must choose wisely to seek the greatest advantage.

Coloured Earth, Coloured Dirt: Purely cosmetic earth, useful for providing players with quick means of knowing where they are on a large map. I'm thinking just slight tints to the regular earth, enough so they're not jarring next to each other.

Psychedelic Mushrooms: Large pale mushrooms that occasionally move, leaning to and fro. If a minion stays too long on a mushroom tile they will become neutral and behave irrationally, or lazily. A clever Underlord can use them as a natural trap, but beware it doesn't make your own minions defect. Can be destroyed.

True Dark: Pitch blackness that is never revealed, as if something is eating light as it comes in contact with it! All minions move slowly through true dark, save for the bafu, vampire and oh, let's say, the hunter.

Last edited:

Betwixt

Dwarven Worker
Jun 11, 2016
Spikes: A weak natural defence that can be hidden in earth by the map designer. Flying units have no trouble with it.

Updraft Holes: A natural defence that blows air upwards. Regular minions can power through the strong wind produced by the holes, but flying minions must turn back. Occasionally plays a tune!

Ruins: Marble tiles, cracked and worn. Since it's a fine foundation, rooms cost less to build over ruins. Perhaps these ruins were once part of ancient Underlord's dungeon, long since thrown to the Aether...

Boom Gas: A classic hazard for miners, if a lit flame (or bolt of lightning) touches the gas- Boom!

Treasure Chest: A huge locked metal chest, perhaps with a couple of designs to suit neutral, evil and empire themes. Minions must smash it open to gain it's golden goodies! Not really needed, but it'd make pillaging an empire dungeon much more satisfying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom