• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Game mechanic] - Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2013
I purpose using dust as a efficiency mechanic. Simple put it is a way to see which room are being neglected. Once your dungeon starts to get large and while you are figuring out your play style this could really help. If a room remains empty for a certain amount of time dust begins to appear, (you could also have spider webs, peeling paint, and general run down look).

How it works: There could be some general room animation but it is not essential. You would need at least three extra tile skins for floor and walls and maybe different versions of the 3D objects (eg: book shelf etc..). After a set amount of time the room would flip to slightly neglected skin, then after more time neglected, and finally derelict.
Some one may suggest other uses for dust but for now I see this as a visual mechanic only. Rooms even in derelict phase can instantly be used with no loss of efficientcy. As a room becomes more used it steps back through each skin to become standard again.
I think this would really help develop and give your dungeon an extra creepy edge.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
That actually is a very nice idea. Especially when your dungeon actually become more of a system of dungeons, there is a fair chance that some rooms become completely redundant and could be sold (or possibly reconstructed in a more economic location).
Thinking of it, you might actually use a similar system for your connection tunnels in order to see which routes your minions frequent the most or how you could your dungeon more "traffic-efficient".

And regarding the programming cost: Rather than adding additional skins for each and every prop in each and every kind of room, I would rather suggest adding specific "neglect" props, i. e. a circle of flies, bugs skittering about, or maybe even an old Wild-West style hayball rolling through the scene.

Jan 3, 2013
It will be a little unfair towards rooms that are used only for specific period of time.

Anyway, probably after game content is implemented, this one goes to eye-candy category.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
EYE CANDY! MOAR!...
Yeah. While it is appreciated, the Dev's should, in my opinion, work on implementing Mechanics, Creatures, Rooms etc. and then work on eye candy after everything important is done.

Jun 26, 2013
And regarding the programming cost: Rather than adding additional skins for each and every prop in each and every kind of room, I would rather suggest adding specific "neglect" props, i. e. a circle of flies, bugs skittering about, or maybe even an old Wild-West style hayball rolling through the scene.
I did start to think this while I was typing the original post. It might be easier to have a dust animation that gets thicker over time. Throw in some spider webs for good measure, may be easier than making lots of new skins. Rats running across the floor could be fun.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I know eye candy can't be the highest priority, but this sort of mentality has come up a lot, of 'maybe leave it till after release' etc etc ... Whereas in my opinion it's the details which make a game unique and it's things (like having hellhounds piss on corpses in dk1) that make games stand out.

Nice suggestion, would love to see something like this implemented... Can't remember where, but there's a similar suggestion of having infestations of spiders and rats occur gradually as areas are left neglected. This a simple way to achieve a similar effect.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
i think this idea has an issue. In other dungeon managment games were always some kind of Eye Candy that showed you that you are evil, and evil is Untidy ;)

If we can get spiderwebs, rats and dust i would like to see that anyway in al my rooms since it does improve the ambient of the dungeon.

still if a room is used or not could maybe shown in the rooms status (if something like thaz will be implemented)

adding

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
Hehe this totally reminds me of something in OPENTTD transport tycoon game. where when your rail network got really big, so to know if tracks was being used. Grass would gro over time to cover unused tracks.

Something with dust, not only is it nice, but it adds bit of atmosphere.

The idea is solid imo. might be dust, might be something else.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
I love the idea of more eye candy, the more the merrier !!

But I think the devs should keep in mind that some of the most successful games ive seen have been designed to quota for slower computer systems. If there is to much nessisary eye candy only those with custom built super machines will be able to play it effectively.
That can cut the sales and the multiplayer community populations in half right there..
These options are great but i think should be used as eye candy options only and should not give any players a dis/advantage if turned off or on.

Although.. Im sure I remember In previous Dungeon Keeper titles or at least the first one I remember a small bar that would show you how used the following room is when you had your hand over it, if this kind of information was shown it could be used to trigger the rooms to slowly deteriorate over time and would not need to be graphically shown (which would be a great way of using this kind of eye candy)
A small penalty of unused or pointless rooms would have the game forcing imps to have to repair/maintain these rooms slowing down imp efficiency collecting gold or claiming territory etc?
A good way in my opinion of moderating aggressive rush tactics in multiplayer matches perhaps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom