• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Game Mechanic - Fortified Walls

Should your Fortified Walls be able to be dug through, and how long should they take to collapse?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I am sure that everyone will remember the ol' Fortified Walls - without them, all the ratbags and the general scum of the universe would have unhindered access to all of your rooms - and so would your enemies.
The point of this post is, basicly, to determin how strong your Walls will be.

Jan 22, 2012
All walls should be diggable (reinforced would require longer time ofc) but certain *things* can elong time needed to dig.
Like certain incest for heroes(SP) that makes walls invincible

Also i feel like in DK2 reinforced walls fell in rather good tempo (it took a while before impd broke them)

Jun 6, 2012
Fortifications shouldn't make your walls utterly invincible - but they should make it considerably more challenging to break through them. Akin to the difference between a standard wooden door, and a highly powerful enchanted door. If they're invincible, it makes it too easy to protect yourself, but if they're too weak, then there's little point fortifying them to begin with.

IMO, I think they should be fairly strong, but they should take a lengthy amount of time to fortify. Nothing too overbearing, but enough to make it inefficient to try and fortify absolutely everything, making it a tactical decision - do you send your workforce out to make sure every last wall is secure, or do you fortify the areas you feel most at risk and keep your workforce free for other tasks, such as scouting, digging, mining, etc.? I.E, it'd take longer to fortify a tile/square than it would to dig one or to claim one, but the reward is that it's extremely difficult for your enemies to break through there, forcing them to look for a weaker point to enter.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
It should take so much time to break through, that it is just below invincible - you can assign few imps to dig through, but if you want to be quick, you should try to find other way around.

Jan 22, 2012
Devs don't like very much look here, hehe ;)
From experience greatest chances to catch them are in offtopic, general discussion, gaming discussion and anouncements.

Only Zuri sometimes responds in offtopic, but sometimes i look what Sim/Kayle are reading and it is mostly suggestions.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
Meh I think it should be like dk1
the walls can t be dug up but can be destroyed by a expensive spell
Im sure someone suggested something about a manufactured ram that can destroy walls

Jan 22, 2012
Meh I think it should be like dk1
the walls can t be dug up but can be destroyed by a expensive spell
I
Problem with spell is that the game will use blood instead of gold to powerup spell. That means one overlord can safely break throught walls from distance without need of attacking and regenerate enought blood to commence good offense

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I knew I wasn t going mad here the idea of a battle ramquoted from Yourmaster
"Work for the breach. For example make parts for a battering ram in the workshop, have it assembled by workers on the spot and use it to tear down the wall. And if not a giant battering ram, it can be an earthquake generator, or a wrecking ball made up by creatures or anything. As long as it's something you(or the rival keeper/hero) build up and prepare in a single spot.
Have visible damage appear on the other side of the wall, and allow rival workers to slow the process down by attempting to repair the wall from the inside. This allows him to know in advance where I'll breach and prepare the defenses: place traps, doors and barricades and ready creatures."
I think this is a good idea because its offensive and gives time for the other player to be defensive

Jan 22, 2012
I like this discussion, keep it up guys. :D
Yes Sir !

Have visible damage appear on the other side of the wall, and allow rival workers to slow the process down by attempting to repair the wall from the inside. This allows him to know in advance where I'll breach and prepare the defenses: place traps, doors and barricades and ready creatures."
I think this is a good idea because its offensive and gives time for the other player to be defensive
There is one problem i do not think workers will know how to interact with walls, except of digging them and reinforcing.
Also in some cases that idea is utterly useless. Imagine a Dungeon:

In that case when enemy have vision of outside his base the defender can easily kill building imps (via spells or possesed strong ranged creature) and make ram useless which makes attacking player waste cash and that is not fun
(sorry for poor paint skills tho :p)

Jan 22, 2012
Yeah that and probably fog of war ( you can still hear warnings and sounds ? ) woud make this possible to implement. But how to deal with the fact that you can destroy the *Ram* making the purchase a big waste in low gold enviroment

I will post something into suggestions soonish maybe you could want to look at it :p

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
One of the things we considered was making fortified walls impossible to break unless the player uses items that are built by a certain room (unannounced) that can be transported by workers to enemy walls.

The good thing about this is we can control when this room becomes available, and the enemy has a chance to intercept your workers carrying the device and protect their walls. As apposed to destroyable or indestructible walls in which you don't have much of a chance to do anything.

Arrinao

Blood Imp
May 8, 2012
Yeah, that's true... wait a minute... I'm here every day!
How about taking a look into the "What do you guys want to see in WFTO?" thread? No one of the developers replied there yet and I'm curious what you have to say about them. Some of them are pretty good. I post mine there because I wasn't sure into which cathegory they fall: it's basically some improvement suggestions to entire game system, a concept. Let me know if I should repost them here.

Jan 22, 2012
How about taking a look into the "What do you guys want to see in WFTO?" thread? No one of the developers replied there yet and I'm curious what you have to say about them. Some of them are pretty good. I post mine there because I wasn't sure into which cathegory they fall: it's basically some improvement suggestions to entire game system, a concept. Let me know if I should repost them here.
The thing about that thread is that we can tell what we want. Dev's do not need to respond there because it is a place for our requests. That does not mean they do not read it.

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
The thing about that thread is that we can tell what we want. Dev's do not need to respond there because it is a place for our requests. That does not mean they do not read it.
Pretty much this, that thread is extremley important. We do look at it alot. Nothing is ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom