• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Game mechanic] Future rewards and bonuses

Future rewards and bonuses?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
If you manage to do something on your current map, you get bonus - on the next map or maybe some UI menu where your bonuses from previous levels could be stored and in the begining of next level you could choose which ones you wanna use?

Your total gameplay time on map was 40 minutes and you managed to hold all Perception shrines for more than 20 minutes - next map your starting visibility is 25% better (no fog of war in certain starting area) / larger / you are able to see gold seams/traps/other perception shrines to the distance of 20 or so tiles from your starting dungeon walls/35 from heart...

You finished map with 10 or more units able to work in library all on lvl lets say 9 or higher - bonus for future - those units you manage to attract through portals enter on level 2 automatically/enter as groups (for example 2 units instead of 1)/require half of the salary,...

You finished map with 10 or more units able to work in workshop all on lvl 9 or higher - bonus for future - your traps will be completed 10% cheaper/quicker/reduction of workshop costs

As we've already discussed that transferring creatures from previous levels would affect the mapmaker control over the gameplay, this wouldnt be so problematic, would it?

And it could be manageable through map attributes when using editor - you tick if you want/do not want automatic bonuses/want to specify your extra bonuses...

Like some kind of Steam achievements but with real ingame impact...

What bonuses can you come up with for potions, prison, torturing,...?

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Well, I must admit, I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea itself, although I'm a little worried a would end up doing 'efficiency tactics' rather than just playing my own way to win the game with the idea of being more efficient in the future, which I think might make the game a little frustrating for me. Although I do fully understand that for some people, this idea could be quite fun.

May 9, 2013
www.youtube.com
I generally play very efficient, but with this genre I just want to do whatever I want and design my dungeon how ever I want etc. I could spend 40 minutes beating a level that can be beaten in 15 min on Dk2 quite happily. This system would introduce a sense of "playing badly" because you wouldn't ever be getting rewarded as a result. It might also introduce balance issues because the better you play the easier the game gets. The game should help you if you play badly if anything.

I guess there isn't really any harm in adding things like this in for people who want to get rewards like that, but I think achievements are better.

Unlocking skins or just getting achievements for beating a hard level using certain methods or times etc is more rewarding to me than getting a boost because I hit a time limit. I actually wouldn't likely use the boost.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
Well, I must admit, I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea itself, although I'm a little worried a would end up doing 'efficiency tactics' rather than just playing my own way to win the game with the idea of being more efficient in the future, which I think might make the game a little frustrating for me. Although I do fully understand that for some people, this idea could be quite fun.
Definitely, those bonuses would have to be great enough for players to try to achieve them, but not big enough to spoil next levels - just like 10-20% significancy :) so if you dont want, you dont have to play for hour longer to get all your cultists to lvl 9. Thats the reason why its "bonus". Just in case you manage to have the right circumstances...

I generally play very efficient, but with this genre I just want to do whatever I want and design my dungeon how ever I want etc. I could spend 40 minutes beating a level that can be beaten in 15 min on Dk2 quite happily. This system would introduce a sense of "playing badly" because you wouldn't ever be getting rewarded as a result. It might also introduce balance issues because the better you play the easier the game gets. The game should help you if you play badly if anything.

I guess there isn't really any harm in adding things like this in for people who want to get rewards like that, but I think achievements are better.

Unlocking skins or just getting achievements for beating a hard level using certain methods or times etc is more rewarding to me than getting a boost because I hit a time limit. I actually wouldn't likely use the boost.
As I stated in my reply to Medjay - bonuses wouldnt be so significant to handicap you when you play "badly". The basic gameplay would be the same and scheduled so you can play through the game without a problem even if you dont get any of these bonuses. "bonuses" are only extras in this case. And the time limit was just one of many examples, me personally - I dont like time limits too in these kind of games. If you dont met the limit you wont get GAME OVER, you just wont have any extra in next lvl so I dont see a problem here.

And wouldnt it be better to get achievement that you can actually use in the game?

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
hey guys :D

I would suggest making bonusses available for mission regardless of how you played. this way you wouldnt get punished for playing too good (or bad depends on the design).

my idea is as follows: after you enda level you can choose between 3 bonusses for the next level like: starting with more gold, having a Beast pen unlocked from the beginning , starting with a level 4 augre,. for example

this way everyone can choose things dependent on their playstyle.

well im adding this now under MISC. section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom