• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Game mode] Tower Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
This idea has been mentioned a few times by people (mostly AvatarIII), but there has never been an actual thread about it, so here it is. I assume most people know how tower defense works but all TD games have something unique. Discuss what kind of towers there should be or other mechanics.

Image from Gemcraft 2

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Well, I'm assuming there will be different types of towers.

Here's how I think it will go...

Melee
  • Gnarling, which will upgrade to either a
  • Chunder, which will upgrade to an
    • Augre
  • or a Skarg, which will upgrade to an unknown tower
Ranged
  • Unknown tower, which will upgrade to either a
  • Bafu (As far as I know, it is a ranged unit), which will upgrade to an unknown tower
  • or a ut, which will upgrade to a ut
Magic
  • Cultist, which will upgrade to either a
  • Frost Weaver, which will upgrade to a ut
  • or a Ember Demon, which will upgrade to a ut
Utility
  • Oculus: Increases the range of towers
  • Bard: Increases the attack of towers
Having played very few tower defense games, my knowledge of the mechanics is a little wonky, though.

Jan 3, 2013
TD would be one of the easiest custom game modes added to a game ( probably after survival ).

As for the type of TD - it can be classic, with spells, co-op TD or even versus TD. Creatures could be used as towers ( like in Warcraft 3 ) or if developers will bother, they could add a special set of traps exactly for this mode.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Personally I think you're going about this all wrong. In my (humble) opinion a TD game mode for WFTO should be flipped on it's head with you sending the creeps (i.e your units) through a maze of traps built by the heroes, maybe even with a few hero units stood on single tile guard rooms to act as defenders too. I think that would be more fitting than just using the creatures as tower types.

I can see it as being something like you start the map with a shrine (+ a few workers) and then you'd be able to send units that spawning using either a portal (in which case your units would be semi random) or you could mod in spells similar to "Create Worker" that spawned other unit types. Then as you progressed through the maze extra workers would spawn and you'd earn more gold so you could send units quicker or send better units, etc

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Personally I think you're going about this all wrong. In my (humble) opinion a TD game mode for WFTO should be flipped on it's head with you sending the creeps (i.e your units) through a maze of traps built by the heroes, maybe even with a few hero units stood on single tile guard rooms to act as defenders too. I think that would be more fitting than just using the creatures as tower types.

I can see it as being something like you start the map with a shrine (+ a few workers) and then you'd be able to send units that spawning using either a portal (in which case your units would be semi random) or you could mod in spells similar to "Create Worker" that spawned other unit types. Then as you progressed through the maze extra workers would spawn and you'd earn more gold so you could send units quicker or send better units, etc
Also a great idea, But I would call this Tower Offense. There are not many TO games around and that makes your idea unique.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
This idea has been mentioned a few times by people (mostly AvatarIII), but there has never been an actual thread about it, so here it is.
somehow i thought we had this already as a flex goal after the it got mentioned so often. will add this then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom