• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Heart of Gold Preview: The Sentinel

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
I like the idea of the new defense "disposable", very useful to stall the enemy troops and prepare for battle ^^

I like this breath of fresh air: P

HYPEEEEEEEE !!!!

HYPEEEEEEEE!!!!

Nov 13, 2013
Question, how will the home realm interact with the expansion? will buying the expansion unlock the expansion units/stuff in the home realm at all times or will we have to unlock the new stuff in the expansion campaign?

EDIT: So I really like the gameplay of the sentinel, I'm a big fan of mobile unit defenses :). The design looks pretty dangerous and sleek, but... it doesn't look a lot like an underlord creature to me. I would honestly expect this defense to be protecting some empire temples from my influence, not slaying heroes. though the backstory implies this is a deliberate attempt to camouflage the sentinel to fool heroes.

Last edited:

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Question, how will the home realm interact with the expansion? will buying the expansion unlock the expansion units/stuff in the home realm at all times or will we have to unlock the new stuff in the expansion campaign?

EDIT: So I really like the gameplay of the sentinel, I'm a big fan of mobile unit defenses :). The design looks pretty dangerous and sleek, but... it doesn't look a lot like an underlord creature to me. I would honestly expect this defense to be protecting some empire temples from my influence, not slaying heroes. though the backstory implies this is a deliberate attempt to camouflage the sentinel to fool heroes.
I'd guess you'd probably unlock it as the campaign progresses (as the main campaign did) but i'm not even sure if that decision has been made yet. What would people prefer?

As for the appearance, whilst I do really like it.. I do agree with what you're saying.. I think maybe just a couple of horns on the actual unit and perhaps some more claw-like gloves/hands. It's (probably) still at the design stage right now (I don't think a model has been made yet) so it's probably a good time to discuss it if people have ideas.

I might even dabble in photoshop again ;)

EDIT - Totally dabbling in photoshop again...

Last edited:

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
As a defence this could potentially be used by both Underlord and Empire factions. The design is intended to be ambiguous and lends itself to a regal feel for someone obsessed with gold and treasure. Moreover the Underlord you play in Heart of Gold has that same regal feel to her Dungeon, it will certainly fit well amongst her halls.

Knowing the personality of the Underlord in question it's certainly not beyond her to purposefully utilise a design such as this to put her foes at ease, before she imprisons them and melts them into her pools of liquid gold.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
To answer this, the home realm will probably see the new aspects unlock as you progress through Heart of Gold campaign. Of course the aspects which are not exclusive to singleplayer will be available to all for use in multiplayer without buying the expansion.

Last edited:

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
It's (probably) still at the design stage right now (I don't think a model has been made yet) so it's probably a good time to discuss it if people have ideas.
i cannot let this opportunity slip through our fingers. :rolleyes:

Oct 2, 2015
Australia
It's been made so i just have to hope but i would really like more minion/heroes i miss the classics wizard/fairy/ninja are all generic and up for graps. I loved replaying the DK one campaign with twiked creature pools and hope to relive this oneday with map edit that being said please,
GIVE ME SIGNIFICANT CONTENT AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
The hype is real and I for one cannot wait for the expansion! Holy crap do I love that idea of that Sentinel, I am so hyped to see what else you have in store. Now I am pondering on material you cut from game and wonder if it will be introduced anew *glances at Dryad*
Hmm so much great potential in store from subterraneangames and I give thanks every day that you made this amazing spiritual successor!

Valtiel

Priestess
Aug 28, 2014
Love the idea of this, but I agree that the Sentinel concept looks a bit too Empire-y. Horns on the helmet would help with that, as would replacing the very knightly sword with a different weapon - possibly a pair of katars, built in to the gauntlets. Paired weapons would also allow you to emphasize the artificial nature of the Sentinel by giving it very mechanical, symmetrical movements. Katars in particular would be good for this - I'm imagining an attack animation that's a relentless series of left-right piston-like punches.

Oct 2, 2015
Australia
1 is there any planed changes to the multiplayer UI?
2 Can some one say how the steam workshop will work? 2.1 will it be like starcraft where you auto download a map when you join a lobby?
3 Can you use this steam workshop to find opponents and increase online presence?

Top Bottom