• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Hero] Charlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2012
Ah, finally a counterpart for the Reaper. The Grand Regent is a heroic spirit who likes independence. This, however, is his only personality quirk and he wields frightening power. He has had many awesome adventures, and will often tell of his adventures to hero and creature alike. His strength is one creatures aspire to reach and will follow him readily, though the spirit is goody-two-shoes.

Stats:

Health: High
Attack: Above Average
Armour: Above Average
Accuracy: High
Agility: Medium
Speed: Medium
Luck: Doesn't believe in luck.
Recovery Rate: Below Average (he has a lot of health)
Intelligence: Cunning
Construction: Fast (will go to work when angry)
Training Rate: Low (Trained only by sparring with reapers)
Training Cost: Doesn't use the training room, because he wants to earn his stripes fighting REAL things, rather than a mechanical dummy
Wage: 7500 (1500 after he gets his mini dungeon)

Skills:
Level 1- Melee (He forms a scythe of light to swing at enemies)
Level 2- Heal
Level 3- Fire Ball
Level 4- Vigilant Gaze (lowers the morale of targeted enemy; doesn't work on 2 levels higher than itself)
Level 5- Speed (passive), Heroic Charge (lowers enemy morale, increased damage and speed, increases zeal of allies)
Level 7- Smite (Hits enemies with a marvelous blessed sword, dealing holy damage), Toughen (passive) (increases armor rating)
Level 9- Teleport
Level 10-Banish/exorcise (greater holy damage), Summon Hero (Can conjure hero minions)

Fighting Style: Reaper (Uses a scythe)

Behavior in Dungeon: The Grand Regent is a good fighter. He uses holy damage to beat the snot out of his enemies. With this power comes a price, though, and he takes a hefty 7500 gold to help pay for his mini dungeon until he reaches level 10, When he builds his sub dungeon and fills his personal treasury, where he will take 1500 gold for himself. He is also free to train, but he will do so only by killing enemies and sparring with a Reaper-class fighter. He is pretty much a paladin with a scythe. Being a marvelous Hero, he is fairly irresistible to females, but he himself resists.

Hates: Other Regents, torture (of course), slapping, commiting the Seven Deadly Sins
(and therefore the Bile Demon.)
Loves: sparring with (not mortally to-the-death fighting) strong fighters (trains both), workshop manufacturing, praying to HIS god/gods, independence, other heroes

Anger Reaction: Goes to the workshop to blow off his steam, rather than going on a rampage.

Obtained by: Temple recipe: 1 Knight Counterpart, 1 Knight, 1000 Blood, 1000 Gold.

Lair: A Marvelous platinum throne, as befitting such a regent being.

Introduced: Available as soon as you can get the stuff for the temple

"Behold and beware, Keeper! The Grand Regent is a Hero like no other. He is a spirit who likes independence, and when he believes he is ready, he will pay you for a claim of land on which to live, and will train Heroes to aid your cause, and though he likes it not, he will be loyal."-Mentor

Note: The Grand Regent will form a sub dungeon when he becomes level 10, and the gold he spends building/maintaining it will be paid to his keeper. When he changes allegiance, so does his claim, but he builds it a good distance from your dungeon anyway, and he will not try to tunnel towards enemies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I think you, uh, missed an important note...

There won't be a Horned Reaper in this game. There may be a unit equivalent to it (we're not sure), but the Horned Reaper itself is, firstly, not going to be in the game. That is the property of EA Games. Everything that Subterranean Games makes has to be different enough to qualify as its own property.

In all honesty, I don't like how this unit is set up in general. It falls into the same pitfall that the Archlich was falling into: It's a tanky spellcaster with huge power. The developers don't want something that unbalanced. It's bad for game balance in general.

Next: Why would the Heroes' greatest unit be a charlatan? Why not a paladin? Why not an angel? Why, of all things, would their mightiest and most holy warrior be someone that has lied about going on adventures, probably never slain a demon in his life, and commits some of the seven deadly sins (see: loves succubi (lust), loves gold (greed), loves fighting bad guys (wrath), and getting drunk (gluttony)? Did I mention he has a huge bed (possibly related to sloth)?). Again, I notice that he is a holy warrior dealing holy damage with a scythe made of light, yet he commits all these sins readily. And how is he so powerful if he's never been on an adventure, unlike the real heroes? This baffles me. It baffles me a lot.

My point: I don't normally outright say that something seems like a 'bad idea,' but... In this case, I would say that this is a bad idea. That's just my opinion, but this character does not really fit as a hero, and for a charlatan who's never been on an adventure, he's supposed to be so powerful. I was expecting an illusionist of some kind when I opened this page, which could have been fun, but I really don't think this is the greatest idea.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
So the ultimate Hero unit with an incredibly imbalanced and broken power would be one which commits to at least six of the seven deadly sins? (Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth (remember that he's never actually adventured or done anything), wrath, and pride; that's all except envy)

I can see many issues arise from that fact alone.

In addition, its stats and spellset look so ridiculous that I can't take this one seriously.

Feb 9, 2012
The way you have this guy just seems way too evil and corrupt to be a hero. He would be better off as an actual creature. Also I would rework his skills, they just seem kind of all over the place.

about the horned reaper:
I think you should read the article I linked below because I it seems that you have missed some very important information regarding the direction of this game.

link to article
http://www.moddb.com/games/wfto/news/news-on-the-direction-wfto

Mar 6, 2012
I am very sorry for the personality problem, which I have remedied. Call him the Apostle or Heaven Sent, and I reduced some of his power. His remaining power is balanced by his high cost and difficulty to train. He no longer loves gold, but giving him gold will raise his mood, as he needs it to pay for his claim and minions. He no longer commits sin. Also, I have an idea: what if a keeper could pay to make a platform on lava or water, that he can build a room on?

AND WTF? ALL heroes are proud!

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
It still has massively overpowered stats, 13 skills (how are we even going to map out controls if creatures can get over 10 skills?) and you failed to address the part which multiple other users have noted, that there are currently no such things as a Reaper, Succubus, Maiden or (Death) Knight.

In addition, your patch-up has left your unit's descriptions with several contradictions, which I'm not even going to get any further in.

Also, no, not all heroes are proud. On the contrary, many hero types are actually quite humble.

Mar 6, 2012
It still has massively overpowered stats, 13 skills (how are we even going to map out controls if creatures can get over 10 skills?) and you failed to address the part which multiple other users have noted, that there are currently no such things as a Reaper, Succubus, Maiden or (Death) Knight.

In addition, your patch-up has left your unit's descriptions with several contradictions, which I'm not even going to get any further in.

Also, no, not all heroes are proud. On the contrary, many hero types are actually quite humble.
I was under the impression that on keeper klan, the Maiden was under accepted suggestions. I removed one skill, and 2 are passive and are used by a "listener program" that will detect level. Perhaps reduce his agility and attack? His heal should be lesser, so it will heal a small portion of his health. Also, I thought heros fought the evil so it wouldn't corrupt the overworld. He likes sparring because it can improve the chances of survival for those he trains with. He would rather work than kill an ally by his clouded angry judgement. Since you are a developer, please give me a stats suggestion, if the new one is ill-fitting.

And just because Horny was nixed, doesnt mean there cant be a reaper class of new characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom