• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Hero] Halfling Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
So, before I begin, I wish to note that this Hero, the Halfling Fighter, will be part of a pair of Halfling units. The other is going to be called the Halfling Priestess, and her abilities will be largely nature-based for reasons I will get into when I toss up the character design.

For now, let's focus on this concept, the Halfling Fighter. When I started thinking about potentially posting a Halfling concept (which was inevitable), my mind drifted to the early missions in Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. There was not a huge variety of units in those early missions, which is fine, but it seems odd when your enemy's forces consist primarily of thieves, dwarves and archers (I forget if there were knights in the early levels), with the dwarves as the laborers and not front-line fighters. With the Halfling Fighter, I want to make a Hero unit that can be introduced early in the game, but still be able to prove itself useful as the game progresses.

One of the things I want to accomplish with the Halfling Fighter is to make it a basic 'filler' unit. In other words, this unit does not specialize in any one particular role in combat. More information will appear in its abilities below.

...Also, I was working on this concept and different ways to adapt it over the last few days, and came to the idea of 'filler' status when I giving suggestions for another forum member's creature idea. So sue me!

As always, I am entirely open to criticism, advice, hate mail and otherwise. In fact, I encourage you to post your opinion on this, even if only to say that you don't believe little people belong in a dark game like WftO, because that thought has crossed my mind a few times as well. So, without further ado, here is the Halfling Fighter.

Name: Halfling Fighter

Stats:

Health: Average
Attack: Below Average
Armour: Low
Accuracy: High
Agility: High
Speed: Above Average
Luck: Average
Recovery Rate: Slow
Intelligence: Average
Construction: Low
Training Rate: Slightly Slow
Training Cost: Low
Wage: Average
Gender: Male (if possible, both genders could be available)

Skills:
Level 1: Thrust / Sling [Melee / Ranged - Basic attack. If the Fighter is currently wielding his shortsword, he uses Thrust. If he has a sling equipped, he uses sling. His ranged attacks take longer to recover, meaning that they cannot be used as quickly.]
Level 1: Swap Weapons [Mode - The Fighter swaps out his shortsword for his sling, or vice versa. These weapons deal the same damage. However, the shortsword is faster and is the 'standard' weapon for the halfling. It deals more damage overall due to attack speed.]
Level 3: Parry [Mode - The Fighter enters a defensive stance, increasing his Armor and Agility, but lowering his Attack and attack speed. This is only usable when the Fighter wields his shortsword. This mode lasts as long as desired.]
Level 4: Backstab [Passive - At level 4, a Halfling Fighter learns how to deal extra damage when attacking his enemy from behind. Every attack dealt from such a position deals increased damage. Backstab only works when the Fighter wields his shortsword.]
Level 5: Lucky [Passive - At level 5, Halflings become abnormally skilled at evading traps. Weaker traps are effectively useless against them, although others (such as boulder traps) still work just fine against them.]
Level 7: Stealth [Self Buff - The Fighter can go invisible like any rogue-type creature can. It operates in a similar / the same fashion.]

Information: Halflings are the epitome of a simple, pleasant existence. They are kind, good, friendly, cheerful, and utterly opposed to evil overlords of any kind. They have a disgusting fascination with good food and are abominably polite to strangers - all the more reason to crush the furry-footed rats beneath your iron fist.

Halfling Fighters are tougher than their size would make it seem, and they have an intrepid brand of luck. Although not naturally inclined to wage war, they are brave souls when roused and will join the forces of good on their expeditions to destroy evil.

Behavior in Dungeon: Idle Halfling Fighters are just that - idle. They stand around in quiet places of the dungeon, smoking from their pipes and generally just relaxing. They sleep more than other creatures and eat more than other creatures, too. Bored Halflings will drink, make merry, and scout out unexplored tunnels. If there are guard rooms available, Halfling Fighters will spend their time in these places eagerly. After all, guarding typically means they can be paid to do nothing but watch a few doors all day, a prospect they embrace wholeheartedly.

Being peaceful creatures at heart, Halflings favor the company of less violent beings in the dungeon, especially that of other former heroes. If there are multiple Halflings in your dungeon, they will typically travel in packs, preferring each other's company over all else.

Battle Style: Filler - The Halfling Fighter excels in no one area of combat. When battle starts, Halfling Fighters open with a volley of sling stones, preferring to stay out of the melee. However, once the enemy gets closer, they will draw their shortswords and move to the front. There, they fill out the role of Flanker or Tank as needed.

Jobs:
Scouting
Guarding
Research (once assigned to be a researcher, Halflings will treat it as any other job)

Obtainable By: He's a Hero. You torture him.

Hates: Halfling Fighters distrust the undead greatly and do not get along with them whatsoever. They also do not like being slapped very much.

Loves: Halflings in general get along great with spellcasters (partly because spellcasters are typically less likely to try and eat them) and with other former Heroes. They also appreciate being given extra food quite a bit. Feeding them extra food is a sure way to make them happier.

Anger reaction: Halflings will stop working entirely, even if dropped in a room to work in, until they are no longer angry. This includes training, exploring and guarding.

Lair: A small, comfortable looking bed.

Appearance: Halflings are chubby, and Halfling Fighters are no exception to this rule. They are, however, a bit more muscular than most members of their race and have equipped themselves with basic studded leather armor in preparation for their journey into the underworld. Each Fighter has a shortsword that is usually sheathed at their side and a sling wrapped around their right hand. They favor earthy colors, though some wear white shirts under their armor, and wield a buckler on their left arm.

How Introduced: During one of the Underlord's early missions, a Halfling province is assaulted from the underworld. During this mission, the Halfling race is introduced and becomes a recurring enemy of the player.

Attracted by: He's a hero. You torture him.

Entrance Effect: ...He's a hero. You torture him.

Torture: The Halfling Fighter is punched/pounded repeatedly in his stomach. Poor thing.

Mentor Quotes: Halflings are the epitome of a simple, pleasant existence. They are kind, good, friendly, cheerful, and utterly opposed to evil overlords of any kind. They have a disgusting fascination with good food and are abominably polite to strangers - all the more reason to crush the furry-footed rats beneath your iron fist.

I believe Halfling Fighters can be coded to choose combat modes in a way that works as follows:
  • First, when entering combat, a Halfling Fighter that does not have invisibility prefers to use ranged weapons.
  • A Halfling Fighter with invisibility will instead use Invisibility and prepare to flank the enemy.
  • If enemy forces come too close to a Halfling Fighter wielding a ranged weapon, the Fighter will switch to its shortsword and engage the enemy in melee combat.
  • If the Halfling Fighter is under attack from two or more opponents in melee combat and has allies to assist in combat, the Halfling will use the Parry mode.
  • If not, the Halfling Fighter will try to flank the enemy in melee combat and use Backstab if applicable. This is the first choice that invisible Halfling Fighters make as well.
  • Finally, if a Halfling Fighter is badly wounded and has allies to assist in combat, it will try to retreat to a safer distance and use its ranged weapon.
I don't know how hard that is to code, but certain steps in the process can be removed for ease if necessary. For instance, a Halfling Fighter does not necessarily have to retreat when badly wounded and use its ranged weapon, or perhaps they save invisibility for when they have to retreat.

As said in the paragraphs preceding this Hero's details, I'm open to advice, thoughts, criticism, hate mail and otherwise. Post, ye fiends!

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
I like the descriptions you wrote. When it comes to torture, stretching them out might be better. And the Lucky skill should only work on traps that do things such as shoot arrows or make spikes come out of the wall. Wouldn't work on gas traps. So it's not the strength of the trap, but how the trap operates.

Jan 22, 2012
One problem with backstab.
Creatures tends to face target nearest to them so backstab is pretty useless when stealth is so high + making position relevant skills may be somewhat useless for just 1 unit

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I like the descriptions you wrote. When it comes to torture, stretching them out might be better. And the Lucky skill should only work on traps that do things such as shoot arrows or make spikes come out of the wall. Wouldn't work on gas traps. So it's not the strength of the trap, but how the trap operates.
Oh, very true. I just assume that most such traps are 'stronger' than the type a Halfling Fighter would avoid. Arrow traps, spikes, maybe even fire traps would probably all be weaker than a gas trap that affects whole groups, boulder traps, lightning traps, freeze traps, and so forth.

So, I agree with you wholeheartedly in that respect; you've worded it better.

One problem with backstab.
Creatures tends to face target nearest to them so backstab is pretty useless when stealth is so high + making position relevant skills may be somewhat useless for just 1 unit
Well, we don't know how the AI handles things in WftO yet, and I have seen some 'taunt'-like abilities on some creatures in these forums. I'm not sure if backstab will be useless.

1v1, of course, it WILL be useless, but the Halfling Fighter is not built for 1v1 encounters. He is, as written, a Filler unit.

Still, it could be replaced by something else, and if I see any suggestions that would possibly be better, I'll write them in somewhere under the category 'alternatives' - where Backstab may very well end up.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
I like this idea, looks like a lot of thought went into it. Especially the different "modes", which I think makes it unique as a jack-of-all-trades. Plus it would be nice to have a unit that thinks for itself in fights. The concept is cool. Not really any questions 'cause you seem to have explained everything pretty well.
Nice job, Inlaa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom