• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Hero] Trapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Name: Trapper

Preface: No fantasy game is complete without dwarves. However, dwarves go beyond just axe swinging warriors. They can also be axe THROWING warriors.

Enter the dwarven trapper, a Hero who specializes in tracking his enemies and in one-on-one combat!

Appearance image:

Stats:

Health: Above Average
Armor: Average
Movement Speed: Average
Attack strength: High
Attack speed: Below Average
Intelligence: Below Average
Construction: Above Average
Training Rate: Slightly Slow
Training Cost: Below Average
Wage: High

Skills:
Level 1: Swing [Melee - Basic melee attack. Slashing.]
Level 1: Throw Axe [Ranged - Basic ranged attack. Slashing. The Trapper throws an axe at his opponent. This attack is of a shorter range than most ranged attacks (20-30 feet max?), but also deals more damage than most ranged attacks.]
Level 1: Tracking [Utility - The Trapper is a skilled hunter and has much experience in finding his enemies wherever they may be. The Trapper can see the tracks of non-flying enemies and can see in what direction they are traveling. This also allows a player possessing a Trapper to see these tracks on the screen, illuminated for convenience (such as a dim blue lighting indicating that the tracks are old, a yellow lighting indicating they are somewhat old, and bright red indicating that the player is hot on the enemy's trail). This ability is always active.]
Level 3: Bear Trap [Trap - The Trapper sets down a trap that lasts for a certain duration. If, during this duration, it is stepped on by an enemy, that enemy is immobilized for five seconds and slowed for another ten afterwards. It also deals minor slashing damage. This trap only affects one enemy at a time and has a forty second recharge.]
Level 6: Bull Rush [Movement/Melee - The Trapper rushes at an enemy headfirst, dealing bludgeoning damage and knocking them down for a short duration (3-5 seconds?). This ability can also be used to run away from the enemy in a quick burst of speed with no repercussions.]
Level 9: Quaff Potion [Self Buff - The Trapper takes a swig of... something from his flask (which looks a lot like a booze container), healing him over time and boosting his movement and attack speed as well. Lasts 20 seconds. 2 minute cooldown.]

Weaknesses/Resistances: Trappers are tough, hardy, and have experience fighting monsters of the underworld. As such, they have increased resistances to Bludgeoning, Fire, and Poison damage. However, they are inexperienced with magic and take extra damage from Dark and Electric sources.

Information: For as long as Dwarven society has existed, it has had to wage war against the forces of the underworld. The underworld is no friendly place, and its sprawling caverns and gateways into yet darker realms make it difficult to traverse. Thus, some dwarves make it their profession to prowl the dark places underground, hunting monsters and protecting their people from evil.

Trappers are tough, durable loners. They have trained long and hard to know how to fight on their own, and all of their abilities focus on their survival and on punishing anyone foolish enough to pick single combat with them. Their vigilance and defense of their clans has earned them many scars, all of which they wear proudly, for a Trapper that can dependably tangle with demons alone and live is an honored - revered - warrior amongst his people.

Appearance: Trappers are lightly-armored dwarven warriors, usually garbed in leather, chainmail, or a mixture of the two. They tend to be heavily scarred and gruff looking, and they speak in rough, short bursts of speech (such as grunts, single-word commands, or single-word insults). They carry two different types of axes: One for melee combat and others for hurling at their opponents. They are tough and well-muscled, but perhaps not as burly as their more heavily armored cousins. Beards are a necessity. So is a hip flask.

Behavior in Dungeon: Trappers tend to keep to themselves. They avoid large crowds unless absolutely necessary, and giving them mini-dungeons to themselves or small groups of creatures (say, 5 total) makes them much happier.

Trappers follow a predictable schedule: Work, work, work, relax. They will scout, construct, and train throughout the day, then end it with a cold drink at the tavern and a good nap. They do not idle around as much as most creatures, preferring to hone their skills in some fashion, and when they relax will often try to find a secluded place to do so. They are easily woken by loud noises, so putting their lair right next to a workshop is a recipe for a grumpy Trapper.

Battle Style: Guerrilla/Blitzer - Trappers have slightly different tactics depending on what they're fighting. The AI is very simple:

Step 1: The AI picks a target. It checks to see if the target is melee or ranged oriented. If ranged, the AI engages the enemy in melee combat and no further checks are made.
Step 2: The AI checks to see if the melee-oriented enemy is faster or slower than the Trapper. In both cases, it will try to outrun the enemy, but when the faster enemy catches up (after all slowing and similar abilities have been used), the trapper will engage it in melee until it can slow it once more.

In short, the Trapper quickly engages ranged enemies and spellcasters in melee, but tries to keep its distance from melee-based opponents. This is because Trappers deal somewhat more damage in melee than from ranged.

Jobs:
Scouting - Trappers try to do this fairly often. When they scout, they use their Tracking ability to follow enemies, preferably back to the enemy's base.
Construction
Training

Loves: Trappers enjoy a good, well-sized and well-stocked tavern. They also enjoy the company of warriors who are similar to themselves: Tough, durable loners who only depend on themselves. This respect stretches even to certain creatures within the Underlord's dark army.

Hates: Big, hulking, monstrous demons are exactly the sort of thing Trappers are trained to fight. While they get along fine with more humanoid monsters, more obviously monstrous creatures and beasties put them on edge. An example creature would be the Bloodling, whose beastly, bloodthirsty and ferocious nature make it exactly the sort of beast the Trapper has trained to fight.

Anger reaction: The Trapper just leaves your dungeon. What, do you expect a survivalist to stay and pick fights? He's not STUPID.

Lair: A comfortable rock (as comfortable as rocks get) to sit on beside a campfire.

Obtainable By: Hero - must be converted. Potentially a Temple recipe.

Attracted by: He's a Hero. You torture him.

How Introduced: Trappers are a mid-game unit that appear on a map on which you are substantially outnumbered. They are hunting for you, trying to find your Dungeon Heart, and your best option is to convert them to your case via torture and use their single-combat specialty to dwindle the armies of your enemy one by one.

Entrance Effect: ...He's a Hero. You torture him.

Torture: Dunno.

Advisor Quotes: Dwarven trappers... These dirty little men remind me of badgers: Angry, bristling, and constantly trying to pick a fight. Be careful when fighting them, Master. They are powerful foes in single combat.

As always, I'm open to any and all criticism, hate mail, assassination attempts... Whatever you have to throw at me. I am fairly firm in my thought that they should be dwarves, though. This IS the underworld.

Also, if there are any name suggestions, feel free to offer them. I considered Ranger, but I'm certain that's being reserved for elves...

Jan 22, 2012
That's yer dwarf eh ?

Seems very solid.

I would only change stun from Bull rush to knockback (+ stun if enemy hit wall ?)

For torture i would suggest something relatedto wasting (?) beer

Loose name suggestions : Tracker, pathfinder, slayer, poucher, ranger.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I actually meant it to be a knockback/knockdown. I'm going to edit it so it reads as such.

Slayer is an appealing name, but Warhammer has its Slayers, which was a big reason I didn't use that. Ranger may be the best choice, in the end... but I also predict that we may see some elven archers floating around, perhaps.

Thanks for the critique; I'll be open to hearing more from you folks!

EDIT: I made some changes to the original post. Namely, I filled in the empty Behavior In Dungeon section and noted the Bloodling as a specific Hated creature.

A note: For the Quaff Potion ability, I did not name specific percentages of health or boosts because I figure the developers know how to balance that better than I do. It's a high level ability, but that doesn't mean it needs to be uber, necessarily.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I did see some one post about hero's in DK1 and DK2 just walking to your heart even tho thay have never seen it but with this hero you could have him track his way there and letting the others no about it

Edit i found the post http://subterraneangames.com/threads/hero-pathfinding.420/#post-5814
That's actually one of the reasons I had this in mind. The other reason was a thought on possession-focused missions.

Remember the secret levels in Dungeon Keeper? I liked those - not all of them, but enough of them. One of my favorites was the one where you had to possess different creatures (starting with a dragon) to get the mission done. (Of course, I brought a level 10 fairy along for the ride, and since she's immune to the gas traps, capable of flight, and a heavy damage dealer, I was able to finish the entire map using her.) I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a bonus level where you have to dodge enemy patrols due to them being stronger than you? Knowing their movements would sure help." Hrm. Tracking fits into that.

The other reason I included it, of course, is because I LOVE the idea of dwarf rangers, which this basically is. I even started a story about a tundra-stalking dwarf. It's a fun concept.

Jan 7, 2012
I like this guy, hes so much more interesting than the common tank-dwarf.
Maybe he shouldn`t like too much spellcasters around him too, these sorcerers have no sense of honor :)

chaoseater

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Feb 29, 2012
Milton keynes UK
That's actually one of the reasons I had this in mind. The other reason was a thought on possession-focused missions.

Remember the secret levels in Dungeon Keeper? I liked those - not all of them, but enough of them. One of my favorites was the one where you had to possess different creatures (starting with a dragon) to get the mission done. (Of course, I brought a level 10 fairy along for the ride, and since she's immune to the gas traps, capable of flight, and a heavy damage dealer, I was able to finish the entire map using her.) I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a bonus level where you have to dodge enemy patrols due to them being stronger than you? Knowing their movements would sure help." Hrm. Tracking fits into that.

The other reason I included it, of course, is because I LOVE the idea of dwarf rangers, which this basically is. I even started a story about a tundra-stalking dwarf. It's a fun concept.
I do love a secret level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom