• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

How is everyone doing with the new campaign?

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Undergames came for me at exactly the right time - I finished my Witcher 3 playthrough a couple of days ago... Nearly started a new game of Stellaris yesterday, but said, "nah, too tired" (probably as well, given the bug issues...!) which meant by the time my work-day was done today, Undergames was out and I could snap Brightrock's hands off.

I managed the first mission (took about two hours, but Volga is supposed to take a while...) And promptly rage-quit on the second level, when I was getting swamped by Shale within a few minutes, despite charging straight for the shooty-doofers as quickly as possible. (I dunno if it's one of those things where me grabbing one makes the AI do it, or what.) And then behemoth took out all the defences around the middle one, while a mass of enemies attacked the left. I, having spent all my time frantically digging/claiming and building defences, only had basically a sanctuary and food ('cos space is so tight). I, admittedly, do not handled being rushed well, I like to plan and go steady, which is why Volga was like the perfect choice and I love that a "slow-turtles-shooty-things" is now a very vible option! (Under other circumstances, it'd be off to the FAQ/walkthrough t find out what the heck I do do, but unusually, I'm, like, in the first batch! But I'll have another try tomorrow...)

Did notice a couple of issues - Well of Souls blue-textured out about five squares when I put the blueprint down until it was built, and the map started going blank towards the end of those two hours. (That seemed to fix if I just brought up the escape menu.)

The AI also seems to immediately want to summon the behemoths right out of the gate (all three AI opponents did that today); that intentional and I'm just missing a trick by trying to build my dungeon first or what? I mean, it is entirely possible that I suck (because I pretty much do in most games, because the difference between me and a Filthy Casual (sic) is predominatly that I play too many hours to really be called "casual...!")

I do really like the new storm vortexes, though - I predominatly used them backed up with bombards on that first level. I likes me some lightning!

(Though nothing has ever quite equalled that oh-so-delightful meaty whack DK one gave you with electrum dais or the lightning bolt attacks...!)

And despite the above sounding negative or whatnot, it's because proud nails! Everything else is fine!

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks. I figured that seemed like a possibility (and to be fair, last night it was coming up to knocking off time anyway); time to give it another shot!

Edit: Nope. I attempt to build up my dungeon first, so I could have some forces, even summoned the eternal, aping the AI, and she just grabbed all three and then fortifed them with more defences than I could even hope to penetrate much faster than I could or was in position to. And the combined damage tore through the core health waaay to fast for me to build a counter-attack.

Okay, this is a definite "drop the difficulty level" thing. Definitely do not like this level, personally.

Edit edit: Probably could have dropped difficulty by one level, but I can always go back later if I feel like it. But there's often That One Level one dislikes in almsot every game - says something about WftO that this is probably the first!

Last edited:

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Okay, I've finished the Undergames as Volta. Wasn't too keen on the king of the underhill levels (though I'm sure other folk like it), but otherwise, I very much enjoyed Volta and the steady roll of defences - especially the Storm Vortexes! I love me some electricity!

Probably not hugely likely to play it again with anyone else, I have to say; once was enough for me; but that's fine!

(So, the question is, how does Volta lead his assault on Kairos... Guessing you can't choose him in the original campaign, so I guess I'll have to wait for a custom campaign... Or maybe one day, in the fullness of a few years, War for the Overworld 2...! Perhaps with actual Overworld, in the way that we never got with DK 3. Look, I can dream, right!)

LixieLorn

Cultist
Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Fancy seeing you here. :3c

I went through the campaign with Kasita first, since she seemed very much the closest thing to a 'default' choice. Won mostly by spamming sentinels and then immediately using all my experience potions.

Kinda felt that you could just ignore nether shrines forever and win by spamming units, which was disappointing. The underhill levels were the only ones where the gimmick worked, but... yeah, you really had to rush them.
(I just spent an HOUR trying to crack volta's defences as shale. Jerk with his hyperfortified position. I didn't do it, either, I just made an enrage-d behemoth walk OVER the defences and punch the last core shard til it exploded.)

I really hope they make the other underlords on the campaign map playable... I'd love to have a cultist (or priestess???) focused mira campaign...

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Hey, Lixie!

Did the Demon Park scenario level - must be a new one, I think, I don't recognise it, nor had a save of it, and there was a core door in it. That... Took a fair while to do. Five hours, I think.

Then I thought I'd give the remastered main campaign a fresh go.

FINALLY, on, what, the third try when doing the campaign, I have managed to get Stay A While and Listen. Seems that apparently, I missed the third line of level 3 every time, sine that's when it triggered...

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Whelp, I have finished the remastered campaign.

It all certainly felt a lot improved. It's come a long way since the first time I played! (Level 12 was a LOT less annoying; I actually had time to do stuff and managed okay.)

Cutscenes were nice, especially at the last. I was thinking "oh, we missed the whole Lucius shows up in your home realm thing, and I spent all that time futilely buidling defences down his approach!" And then I found we get both anyway! And Mendacous' confusion why we're not dead.

Should we ever get an WftO 2, I would love to see what an "overseer" is... Maybe one day, eh? Build on WftO and do some "outside" stuff? I still occasionally - literally - dream about that sort of thing. (Seriously, some of those dreams are amazing!)

I salute you Brightrock!

Nov 10, 2013
Germany
Finishied the new campaign Kasita, it was fun but I will probably try the others after the next big patch, the extreme loading times and performance issues that came with the DLC update are just to annoying right now.

Top Bottom