• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

If you could make an Underlord

Lege Librum

Dwarven Worker
Feb 6, 2014
Underlord Name: Brutus.

Description:
A tyrannical madman of times long since past, Brutus found that the only better than ruling a people was the complete and utter enslavement of their immortal souls. Whoever said blood sacrifice was useless? Nobody, and for good reason.

Emblem:
A skull with an open mouth and the letters; "SPQR" inside the mouth.

Heart Appearance:
A pit of swirling, spectral, distorted figures. When zoomed in on, the player can hear them screaming at him. "The Senate and People of Rome".

Worker Appearance:
The spirits of long dead Roman citizens, wrapped in chains. The pick-axes have been nailed through their hands and had a chain run from both ends (the palm + back of the hand) to another spike that protrudes from the back of the neck and runs all the way through the jugular in the front. 1:1000 chance of spawning a Julius Augustus Caesar inspired model, with ornate gilded robes and complete with a dozen knives sticking out of his back.

Wall Appearance:
An oxidized copper trim, mixed in with crumbling marble masonry, solid gold busts of Brutus ordained with the finest jewels and gems, and only broken up by the corpses of crucified minions who had the gall to disobey.

Tile Appearance:
Marble tiles that have been worn by time and have begun to crack and break, disobedient minions have been embedded beneath the tile with exacting care, so that their faces are level with the surrounding floor. Thus, they shall be fed routinely, given water, and kept alive to be walked upon until they die.

Other Graphical Changes to Rooms: Resplendent golden busts of Brutus, in various poses and adorned with varying trinkets are to be kept upon the walls at all times, lest you incur the Underlord's wrath.

Other Graphical Changes to Spells:
Every time one is cast, he uses the souls of his subjects. Faint screaming can be heard when using spells.

Other Graphical Changes to Creatures:
Depending on their standing within the dungeon, they'll have been given little "upgrades" by Brutus. The Gnarling, for example, uses a rusted Murmillo helmet with no plume, while a converted Juggernaut is granted an extremely intricate set of armor that very much resembles a Centurion's outfit, but with an added death mask to cover the face.

Lore:
Once a Roman senator and dignitary of some renown, his only desire in life was to be remembered. His mother died during childbirth and his father was murdered shortly thereafter, leaving his uncle to raise the lad of not more than two as his own. The effects of the circumstance surrounding his childhood set into motion an unstoppable tilde wave of events that would culminate in what scholars today would describe as the complete annihilation of an Empire. In a sense, they'd be right. The Roman Empire is certainly no more on this mortal plane, but somewhere, in the vast depths of some unholy chasm, Rome lives.

Place in Story:
Whenever the player manages to research every Sin during a single level, Brutus raves incoherently at them, infuriated by the fact that they're more "popular" among the Dark Gods than he is. Pretty much just death threats, strung together with no real structure. Eventually it drives him to the breaking point and he attacks your dungeon to settle this once and for all.

Gameplay Changes:
The higher tiered a unit is, the more "loyal" it is to Brutus. Harder to convert in the torture chamber, has a chance to commit suicide while in the prison in order to deny you any gain, immune to crowd control effects. Inversely, the lower tiered a unit is, the exact opposite happens. They convert more readily, have a chance to "defect" and run as soon as combat starts (they're then placed in your prison), and are much more susceptible to stuns and such.

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
This one will not appear due to IP reasons, but it is fun to suggest anyway:

Theme Name: The Ancient Keeper
Description: A theme based on the old dungeon keeper games.
Emblem: Dungeon Keeper Horny logo
Heart Appearance: DK1 heart
Worker Appearance: DK1 imps
Wall Appearance: DK1 walls
Tile Appearance: DK1 tiles
Other Graphical Changes to Creatures: Everything is sprites like in DK1 :D
Gameplay Changes: Your super-creature is Peter Molyneux.

Maybe as a non-official mod?

Another one, just for comical/satirical purposes:

Theme Name: Electronic Arts
Description: A malevolent force, the one true evil. Absorbs what is good, then abandons it, holding on to the core essences so that nobody can recreate the absorbed content ever again. Before destroying amazing concepts, it releases a trailer to create false hope.
Emblem: EA logo, dripping in blood from tortured baby seals like it usually does.
Heart Appearance: A black hole that sucks up logos from smaller game development companies like Bullfrog and Westwood.
Worker Appearance: Enslaved gamedevelopers.
Wall Appearance: Printed with terms and conditions all over the place.
Tile Appearance: Only a quarter of floor tiles is laid down. Covering up the rest of the dirt is possible by purchasing the downloadable content for half your treasury. Some missing tiles are actually already buried under the dirt, but locked anyway.
Creatures: Creatures take 24 hours to complete a task. You can speed this up by spending a lot of money.
Rooms: All rooms are treasuries.
Gameplay Changes: They are capable of claiming tiles and rooms at tremendous speed with the Origin spell. Claiming something back will trigger the lawsuit trap, draining your treasury to the bottom.

Evi

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Underlord Name: All-Seer
Description: i have seen all and formed anew, nothing escapes my sight or acknowledgement. i know the secrets of the empire and yourself alike, even what underwear the juggernaut wears under his armour.

Emblem:
An Eyeball surrounded by bloody tendrils with eyeballs on the end.

Heart Appearance: come to me and look upon my pupil, see yourself within.

Bonus points if it looks at nearby units as they walk by.

Worker Appearance: The imps created by All-Seer have no head, instead a giant eyeball has taken the place, a rip across the bottom of the eye to serve as a makeshift mouth. The body has some eyes imbedded into it as well.

Wall Appearance: i see you walk through, every angle imaginable, your secrets are mine and so are you.

Tile Appearance: The gem in the middle of the tile is replaced with the color appropriate eye, veins pulsing through the tile from the eyeball.

Other Graphical Changes to Rooms: Rooms are mostly unchanged, save for some eyeballs in them.
Other Graphical Changes to Spells: Clairvoyance has eyeballs in it now.
Other Graphical Changes to Creatures: Creatures have some eyes imbedded into their body.

Lore:
from nothing i began, i saw nothing. pitter patter of feet, and i saw first time, a imp claiming. my sight expanded and saw many more, water and rocks with creatures galore. soon blood flowed and corpses littered my sight, fighting for my expanding sight. lacked intelligence to understand, only saw and looked as metal clad and shirtless fought. words spoken, not understood, but listened with little reason. soon a mind grew in my eye, the words understood. my sight grown very much, to the ends of the realm i dwelled, intelligence growing.
another imp come towards me, begin claiming me, angered i was to be used recklessly, looked at the imp intensively. imp stared back and faded away, absorbed into me. power rushing through, i began anew, Underlord All-Seer breathes and took away, seeing all in the darkness today.

Place in Story: Appears when the Sight Shrines come into play, enraged when the player (Or any other enemy) claims it. If the player manages to defeat it, All-Seer compromises, teaching Clairvoyance to the player and allying himself with it. (strong you are, my sight saw not, ally myself to your cause, my sight benefit your quest)

Gameplay Changes: Clairvoyance now effects the entire map, now lasting a few more extra seconds. The natural sight of all creatures are increased as well, but they're still unable to see through rock. The Sight Shrines can see further out than normal and the Oculus are slightly stronger as well, being All-Seer's favored minion.

Nov 13, 2013
This underlord was inspired by Hindu story Ramayana, which tells the story of of how Rayma recuses his wife Sita from the Demon-King of Lanka, Ravana. It more heavily is inspired by the depiction of Lanka in the game Dominions 4, which is home to multitudes of blood drinking, flesh eating demons who rule over a kingdom of semi sentient monkey people.

Underlord Name:
Mandeha

Description: A powerful winged Monkey-Demon who wishes to devour the sun and plunge the world into eternal darkness. He is followed everywhere by a cloud of darkness that does not disperse for any source of light. His one fear is of fire, for it knows of his intent to destroy all light and burns him and his servants with great ferocity.

Lore: Mandeha is an ancient being from the beginning of the world. He is the avatar of destruction, for he wishes to snuff out all light in the world and return it to the void of darkness that was the beginning. Eons ago the gods of light imprisoned so that he would not harm their followers, but no prison is unbreakable, and they did not imprison his servants. Mandeha's demon servants travel to the world of light where they open portals to his realm that they send streams of blood, flesh, and souls through that Mandeha gorges upon, so that one day he might grow powerful enough to break the bonds of his prison and fulfill all his goals.

Emblem:
A gold and red banner with the head of an ape centered upon it. The ape's face is brutish and has shaggy maroon mane of hair and pupiless black eyes. blood drips from his mouth, which contains large pointed teeth.

Heart Appearance: A series of large steps leading down (think of something like a step pyramid, but leading down instead of up) to a circular pit which devours all sources of light which draw close to it. This pit is a gateway to the Mandeha's realm. The steps are made of dark grey stone which shows the ingrained dark stains of centuries worth of spilled blood. All along the top step is a line of wooden tables and chairs where, monthly, Mandeha's demon servants hold the Feast of Flesh where 33 humans are devoured and their blood source, the heart, thrown into the pit of Mandeha as a sacrifice. Beneath the tables lie piles of cracked and broken human bones.

Worker Appearance:
small white-furred monkeys with crudely put together stone picks and a leather pouch slung over their shoulder which contains rocks. their movements are twitchy and fearful, prepared to run at a moments notice.

Wall Appearance: built of large and crudely carved blocks of obsidian. The walls are not dotted with torches, for Mandeha despises fire. instead, round, blood red stones that let off a dark red glow are placed in the walls at increments. each stone contains the soul of a sacrificial victim, whose blood powers the stones. If someone listens carefully, they may hear the tortured spirits mournful cries.

Tile Appearance: Dark Grey Stone with centuries worth of blood stains embedded into it. In places, one may come across discarded bits of flesh left over from blood feasts.

Graphical changes to Rooms: All room light sources are reduced in intensity, as they are drawn into Mandeha's pit. The torture room prop is changed significantly. It is changed to an obsidian ritual circle. When set to conversion, the victim withen is surrounded with a cloud of darkness that deprives them of their senses and fills their minds with the howls of sacrificial victims in an effort to break their mind and will. When set to death, the circle magically inflicts large shallow wounds on the victim's body to effeciently bleed them dry. The flames of the beast den are changed to pulsating darkness.

Graphical Changes to Creatures: (Note: changes only effect living intelligent minions. beasts, ghouls, elites, and spirits are unaffected) Creatures who serve Mandeha are transformed by his dark influence, taking on the characteristics of of his demonic servants. Creatures grow shaggy and hairier, while their teeth become pointed and their faces bestial. Their muscles grow large, as do their stomachs, giving them a slightly pot-bellied appearance as they gorge themselves on human flesh.

Gameplay Changes: Creatures of Mandeha are hungrier then normal and must eat at the Tavern more often. They are stronger then normal and deal increased damage with physical melee attacks, but they have their resistance to fire reduced. Workers of Mandeha have access to a weak ranged attack by throwing rocks, but they are far more cowardly then imps. Mandeha draws power from blood, and gains mana whenever a creature is sacrificed in his crypt. in addition, his mana regeneration is increased for every creature being tortured in his torture chamber.

Place in story: Mandeha would appear early/mid point in the story. His mission would be you raiding one of his dungeons to pilfer his tomes and other relics that could teach you new spells. However, before you arrived at his dungeon his servants had taken a number of humans from the surface for an upcoming feast of flesh, among them the daughter of an Empire duke. But if the duke defeats Mandeha, he will surly destroy all of his artifacts. So you must raid and destroy Mandeha's Dungeon Core while simultaneously fighting off the Duke's forces. I would consider this mission an ideal place to introduce the ember demon. Mandeha could also appear later in the campaign seeking vengeance for his destroyed dungeon.

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
Side question for underlords: Would it be possible, when you've beaten a underlord with these themes/skins that you can choose to have them in a single/multi player game

Nov 13, 2013
Side question for underlords: Would it be possible, when you've beaten a underlord with these themes/skins that you can choose to have them in a single/multi player game
I think the devs plan is for you to unlock some themes by playing the campaign, or doing achievements. I'm pretty sure they will let you change your theme in multiplayer and skirmish modes but not in the campaign, since they have been adamant about not changing your color in the campaign so I doubt they would let you change your theme.

Underlord Name: Impernator

Description:
Shown as small and not very attractive creature. The behavior is described as being wild and uncontrollable and enjoying making people suffer.

Emblem:

Worker Appearance:

Graphical Changes to Spells:
Upon casting a spell a tiny imp head is displayed and a scream sounds from the depths.

Lore:
Portrayed as lonely little creatures, always in search of attention. Described as an evil spirit or demon.

Gameplay Changes:
Everyone turns into Imps and Succubi's

Feb 9, 2014
South Africa
Underlord Name: Caustus
Description: A crazed potion master who has a knack for making deadly poisons or "grenades"
Emblem: A bubbling beaker with a green liquid in it on a black background.
Heart Appearance: A "living" Cauldron of sorts, maybe suspended over a roaring fire surrounded by "arms"
constantly mixing or putting things inside of it.
Worker Appearance: Little Imps in lab coats, with gas masks on.
Wall Appearance: A dripping liquid on top of a dark stone.
Tile Appearance: Grates over some liquid.

Other Graphical Changes to Rooms: Certain rooms have shelves with ingredients upon them.
Other Graphical Changes to Spells: Maybe some exploding flask spells, or poison clouds.
Other Graphical Changes to Creatures: Perhaps some creatures have gas masks on, so they can survive.
Lore: A lone hermit who has always enjoyed creating new concoctions and discovering new ways to make poisons, he has always been involved in his work and tries to avoid people at all costs. He has gone slightly mad due to years of exposure to all sorts of crazy potions and gasses, he is always experimenting on forest animals, and the occasional wanderer who gets lost in his domain.
Place in Story: Maybe I'll get back to this point in the future.
Unique Creatures: Crazed beasts or people who have been experimented on and have lost all sense, they only obey Caustus, their maker...which is indeed a happy coincidence.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
With your permission: some of these ideas may be poached and translated into WFTO lore/characters
Let me know.

Cheers and love,
James
Who's ideas are you looking at? You've certainly got my permission to use whatever Underlord I posted however many pages back.

EDIT - I can't find my idea... how odd, im sure I remember posting it.. and I even remember people replying and saying it reminded them a little of the god in the Thief series.. so odd.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
James, You have my permission to use any underlord I post here :D I would love it if the black god Mandeha became a reality!

Last edited:

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
With your permission: some of these ideas may be poached and translated into WFTO lore/characters
Let me know.

Cheers and love,
James
Please put some creature/lore/character with the name of Lord Leachstein
Quite glad i seemed to of revived this thread.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Let me know.

Cheers and love,
James
As long as you pay my gratuitous royalty fee of 100% of the nothing that I am owed for my non-copyrighted ideas that will be fine.

Evi

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Let me know.

Cheers and love,
James
And what would those ideas be?
Nonetheless, any Underlord I create is all free game for the developers.

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
On a side note, I thought we posted ideas and suggestions so that they would be implemented into the game if not we wouldn't post anything or simply post to annoy..
Lord Leachstein
Im going to come up with 13 Lords each with their individual characteristic and then I shall post it, These could be a DLC capaign

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
Right Here it is (though lacking in detail)
The 13 Lords & Ladies of Sin
The Lords & Ladies Hold land vast and powerful, fighting them will be a feat in itself
(This could be made as a DLC, use it)
All Names are subject to change except Lord Leachstein
1. Lord Leachstein – Bodily Modifications
2. Lord DrainStone – Organises to perfection – Starts with the super unit Eternal
3. Lord ShadowHeart – Favours the Shadow Creature
4. Lord Hallow – Favours the Necromancer
5.Lord FireHorn – Favours The Skarg
6. Lord BurstBreath – Favours the Chunder
7. Lady Darklight – Starts with the super unit Archeon and favours magic creatures
8. Lady Verion – Favours the Succumbus
9. Lady bluedepth - Favours the Witchdoctor
10. Lady VioletStreak - Starts with the super unit Behmoth
11. Lady Freezehearth – Favours things that give a cooling affect such as Freeze rituals
12. Lady Augment – Favours the Augre
13. Lord Jestlar – (Has the Democorn...)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2013
Scotland
Underlord Name: Arboreus
Description: An ancient and twisted treeman/ent/treant
Emblem: Branches, one dead and withered; one vibrant and green, entwined around a gold-green orb
Heart Appearance: A lush and sparkling oak, wreathed in thorns of darkest ebony
Worker Appearance: Arboreus' workers are less like imps and more like stunted treemen.
Wall Appearance: Riddled with roots, vines and thorns, with a distinct green and brown theme
Tile Appearance: Leaf litter and soil

Optional
Other Graphical Changes to Rooms: Most rooms would have roots or vines around the props with fallen leaves and soil on some of the floor
Other Graphical Changes to Spells: no spells would be different, except for summon worker, which would cause the worker to quickly "grow" from the earth
Other Graphical Changes to Creatures: Arboreus' creatures would have visible branch growth as well as more wood-like skin and green eyes
Lore: Arboreus was once a noble creature. His real was the Goldengleam Glade, a gorgeous forest near the Imperial capital city. His task was simple: Expand the beauty and natural splendor of the Glade. One day, however, He made the mistake of sprouting a tree inside the walls of the city. The vain and cruel Emperor sent a torchbearer to burn the offending sapling, which sent Arboreus into a blind rage. Before his onslaught of choking vines and thorns could overrun the city, He was driven by fire as far from the glade as possible. Arboreus fled underground, where he could grow his plants in peace, but the oppressive atmosphere of the Underworld, coupled with his festering rage towards the Empire, twisted his once noble form into something much more sinister. Arboreus now works solely towards destruction of all things not of the world of plants. This includes any other Underlord foolish enough to trespass on his underglade.
Place in Story: Arboreus would most likely be an early-mid game opponent, fought over several missions, after his creeping thorns find their way into your domain, causing the need for investigation.
Gameplay Changes: Arboreus would not have access to Cauterize, due to his terrible fear of fire. instead, he can employ his vines to crush permafrost and slow enemies. As a trade-off for this, his minions suffer double the penalty to armor while cauterized

Top Bottom