• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

If You had three super powers.. what would they be?

Jan 1, 2013
If you had three super powers... What would you pick out of all the endless powers you could think up?

mine would be

1)Total control over time and space
2)Immortality
3)The power to shape and create life.

Jan 3, 2013
If you had three super powers... What would you pick out of all the endless powers you could think up?

mine would be

1)Total control over time and space
2)Immortality
3)The power to shape and create life.
Become a god huh?

Triple T.

1) Telepathy.
2) Telekinesis.
3) Teleportation Mastery.

Life would become boring when you start making people slap themselves.

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Currently orbiting Magrathea
The problem with this kind of discussion is that most super powers require secondary powers to back them up, so you would use up the other slots to fill those. For example, super strength requires some form of invulnerability otherwise your bones would break whenever you tried to leap tall buildings or try to stop a moving car. Flight would require some form of immunity to the elements and less of a requirement of oxygen since the higher you go up, the colder it gets and the less air there is. If you wanted some form of time travel, then you would need some language powers so you can understand and talk to anyone in any time period. Teleportation would require spacial awareness so you don't accidently teleport inside a wall (or a person). Then there are other considerations. Generally as a rule, you wouldn't want something that can give you immortality for various reasons (seriously, there is a list on cracked that detail's all the reasons why having immortality is a bad thing). Spontaneous regeneration (or super healing) usually leads to immortality so wouldn't want that. And then the (really minor one since it is easily solved) one of just because you have super powers, doesn't mean you can fully use them to the way you want. If we take telekinesis as one (since I have seen it mentioned a few times), just because you have it doesn't mean you can use it to lift cars. I think the excepted rule (in terms of fiction obviously) is you can only lift what you can physically lift yourself. You would have to train it little by little like in a gym. And finally, you have to think what exactly do you want super powers for? Do you want to become a super hero, or just make your life a bit easier.

So for my choices, I choose

1.) Omnilingualism: This is the ability to speak, write and understand any language after hearing/looking it for a few seconds. It has a lot of further practical uses when you realise that it can possibly extend to body language and binary.
2.) Telekinesis: Self explanatory
3.) Dimensional Storage: You know the bag in video games that can hold various items of impossible size, that is what this power is, the ability to create pocket dimensions to store anything you want in and get it out again at will.

As you can see, I've actually thought about this a lot in my childhood to now on the off chance a genie actually appeared before me and I wanted super powers. I would love to replace telekinesis with teleportation since when used in combination with the the two, it makes for the ultimate traveller, but as I said, teleportation requires a secondary power that I do not want to use up on a slot. And I would also love time manipulation, but that has so many different powers attached to it (time travel, stopping time, slowing it down etc), not sure it would be allowed.

And now I have ruined the thread with by nerdiness (if that's a word)

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
1. Transformation into a dragon... (dragons are awesome!)
2. Magical powers... (magic is awesome too!)
3. The power to transform everything into yoghurt...

Rezal

Templar
WFTO Backer
Jan 11, 2013
;) all I need is one and I will die a happy man,a super mental BS blocker,0_0 really really tired of all the nonsense I hear and see each day. . .

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
Oh, good question!

1). Omnilingual
2). The best at every sport and art (includes things like dancing and theft)
3). True immortality

The third gets me into a lot of debates because of the numerous downsides, but I don't really care about that. By true immortality I mean instant regeneration to your body's peak physical condition, no matter how severe the injury (decapitation, crushed, disemboweled, etc).

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Oh, good question!

1). Omnilingual
2). The at every sport and art (includes things like dancing and theft)
3). True immortality

The third gets me into a lot of debates because of the numerous downsides, but I don't really care about that. By true immortality I mean instant regeneration to your body's peak physical condition, no matter how severe the injury (decapitation, crushed, disemboweled, etc).
Can you explain the second one, as I am not sure what you are trying to say.

I love immortality debates, so let's jump to the obvious one. By your definition of the term, that means you are still going to be alive when the universe implodes and you are literally the only thing left in existence. So what would you do then?

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
Can you explain the second one, as I am not sure what you are trying to say.
Woops! Typo on my part; I missed the word 'best'.

Well I imagine the universe imploding would end me anyway, as (I assume) there would be no space in which to exist, but as we know so little about it the debate could go on forever. I could float in a black void of nothing, either unconscious because of lack of oxygen, or perfectly fine thanks to my body's endless ability to regenerate; either way by that point I would likely be insane, and totally unaware of my surroundings anyway. I don't see that as much of a problem really. :{P

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Oh, good question!
i think Invulnerability style immortality is better, rather than instant regeneration, you can just not be cut, like Superman, also perfect health no-matter-what means you can't drown or die in space, no ill effects from not sleeping, no negative sideaffects of anything like smoking or alcohol etc.

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
i think Invulnerability style immortality is better, rather than instant regeneration, you can just not be cut, like Superman, also perfect health no-matter-what means you can't drown or die in space, no ill effects from not sleeping, no negative sideaffects of anything like smoking or alcohol etc.
You're probably right actually, I just never think of invulnerability as being the same as immortality, so I often forget it. All of the effects you mentioned would be covered by instant regeneration though; any physical problem, down to the alteration of cells through lack of sleep or drugs would be fixed when they regenerate.

G

Greensage

-Absolute ataraxia
-Body's Energetic independance
-Be able to pass these skills on to wanted people

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
You're probably right actually, I just never think of invulnerability as being the same as immortality, so I often forget it. All of the effects you mentioned would be covered by instant regeneration though; any physical problem, down to the alteration of cells through lack of sleep or drugs would be fixed when they regenerate.
There are various types of Immortality (TV Tropes lists 13 different ones), the type you want is called Complete Immortality, which is basically (to copy and past):
  1. The Ageless - The character does not age.
  2. Nigh Invulnerable - The character is completely or almost completely immune to harm of any kind. The character may be Made Of Diamond, an Intangible Man, capable of regenerating their body under any circumstances, or evenresurrects completely healed every time he's killed. (Note that characters who are invulnerable but who age as normal are simply Nigh Invulnerable, not immortal.

Jan 1, 2013
nope nope you would first die, then after 2 minutes which is when you would be dead you would regen and come back just to continue your loop, (I think its 2 minutes before the brain shuts down anyway... might be 30 sec but I am almost sure its 2 minutes a human can "survive" in vacum.

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
nope nope you would first die, then after 2 minutes which is when you would be dead you would regen and come back just to continue your loop, (I think its 2 minutes before the brain shuts down anyway... might be 30 sec but I am almost sure its 2 minutes a human can "survive" in vacum.
To take a quote from one of my favourite books and the source of all the knowledge in the known universe, The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, "If you hold a lungful of air, you can survive in the total vacuum of space for about thirty seconds. However, it does go on to say that what with space being the mindboggling size it is, the chances of being picked up by another ship within those thirty seconds are two to the power of two hundred and seventy-six thousand, seven hundred and nine to one against"

Eek

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
1) Invulnerability/Immortality - WITH THE OPTION TO DIE BY CHOICE (I cant think of anything worse than the world being destroyed, and being along for the rest of eternity)
2) Granting/revoking the above power, to people I choose (so I could heal someone by giving them the power for a couple of seconds, then revoking it, or I could marry and stay with someone without them growing old/dying)
3) Make people happy/sad - I wouldn't want full control over peoples emotions - I wouldn't trust myself not to abuse it, and abusing it would get boring... but I'd like to be able to make people happy, or if I ever need a weapon, to make them so sad that they kill themselves or something

Top Bottom