• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

If You had three super powers.. what would they be?

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
"If you hold a lungful of air, you can survive in the total vacuum of space for about thirty seconds."
Taking a big breath of air before floating into the vacuum of space is the last thing you want to do, as the trapped gasses can cause serious and permanent damage to the lungs. A better survival tip is to breathe out (which usually happens anyway when the poor sap gasps or shouts) to ensure your lungs remain safe. You will pass out within 10-20 seconds, but a human can survive for up to two minutes in that state in space before they die from a lack of oxygen, and if pulled in and given oxygen within that time period will have sustained no real permanent damage, aside from the possibility of some prickly/slightly swollen skin, and a harsh sunburn (I know this because I explain it daily in the science and technology centre that I work at).

nope nope you would first die, then after 2 minutes which is when you would be dead you would regen and come back just to continue your loop, (I think its 2 minutes before the brain shuts down anyway... might be 30 sec but I am almost sure its 2 minutes a human can "survive" in vacum.
I believe I covered this by placing the word 'instant' in front of the word 'regeneration'. ;{P

With all of that in mind, an instantly regenerating body would have no real need for oxygen (or anything for that matter) and so hypothetically it would not die in space at all. Any damaged or dying cells would be instantly replaced with new ones. Now if the regeneration were slower these would be very real concerns, but not when we're talking about 'instant' regeneration. :)

Eek

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
Taking a big breath of air before floating into the vacuum of space is the last thing you want to do, as the trapped gasses can cause serious and permanent damage to the lungs. A better survival tip is to breathe out (which usually happens anyway when the poor sap gasps or shouts) to ensure your lungs remain safe. You will pass out within 10-20 seconds, but a human can survive for up to two minutes in that state in space before they die from a lack of oxygen, and if pulled in and given oxygen within that time period will have sustained no real permanent damage, aside from the possibility of some prickly/slightly swollen skin, and a harsh sunburn (I know this because I explain it daily in the science and technology centre that I work at).

I believe I covered this by placing the word 'instant' in front of the word 'regeneration'. ;{P

With all of that in mind, an instantly regenerating body would have no real need for oxygen (or anything for that matter) and so hypothetically it would not die in space at all. Any damaged or dying cells would be instantly replaced with new ones. Now if the regeneration were slower these would be very real concerns, but not when we're talking about 'instant' regeneration. :)

Invulnerability wouldn't suffer in space... but instant regeneration means your eyes would keep exploding and immediately repairing, ready to explode again... or something... it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience...

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
1) Invulnerability/Immortality - WITH THE OPTION TO DIE BY CHOICE (I cant think of anything worse than the world being destroyed, and being along for the rest of eternity)
2) Granting/revoking the above power, to people I choose (so I could heal someone by giving them the power for a couple of seconds, then revoking it, or I could marry and stay with someone without them growing old/dying)
3) Make people happy/sad - I wouldn't want full control over peoples emotions - I wouldn't trust myself not to abuse it, and abusing it would get boring... but I'd like to be able to make people happy, or if I ever need a weapon, to make them so sad that they kill themselves or something
I agree an option to die would be best Eek, but I thought mentioning it might make me seem 'picky' :{P

And that third one is really interesting, but I think it would be too much for me; I would feel terrible for altering the way people feel, even if they felt shitty. To me that would be like destroying emotional creativity, and I'd also likely become worried that no emotions were 'real' anymore. :p

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
Invulnerability wouldn't suffer in space... but instant regeneration means your eyes would keep exploding and immediately repairing, ready to explode again... or something... it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience...
Loooooool! Trust me Eek, your eyes won't explode. Believe me, I would have mentioned it! The saliva on your tongue would instantly boil, but it wouldn't burn or anything, so I don't see that as a real problem. :{P

Eek

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Oct 22, 2012
Canterbury, Kent
www.leeketh.com
Loooooool! Trust me Eek, your eyes won't explode. Believe me, I would have mentioned it! The saliva on your tongue would instantly boil, but it wouldn't burn or anything, so I don't see that as a real problem. :{P
Ok, but surely *something* about being in space would hurt, and the insta-regeneration would mean constant pain because it keeps repairing whatever hurt, and happens again? :s

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
For my power i want longevity (I don't feel the effect of ageing as much but still die from age) Peak human ability (its what captain america has, he is as fast, strong and agile as humanly possible) lastly being a billionaire (if Iron man and batman are so why cant I?)

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
if you're saliva would boil, so would the moisture on any of your mucus membranes, such as your eyes and genitals, you'd have to keep your mouth shut to avoid the vacuum haemorrhaging all the alveoli in your lungs, which doesn't sound very nice.

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
incapable of feeling pain and not being able to be harmed are two different things, also in regards of being immortal has any one considered what would happen if they were buried alive?

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Currently orbiting Magrathea
You did see the part where I said that the quote was from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy right? Whilst very entertaining, it is not a basis for facts, with one exception. We all know that the answer to Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is 42.

Lupin

Blood Imp
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Currently orbiting Magrathea
Oh yeah my other 2 powers would be to ressurect people from the Dead and and to fly I guess public transport takes the piss sometimes.
You have to remember though being able to fly without super speed means you will only be able to fly as fast as you can naturally run, meaning in many cases, public transport will still be faster in long run.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
If I could have 3 abilities they would be: The ability to stay young and agile, the ability to move electrons around, to change chemical compound of matter and the ability to move throgh n-dimensional space-time. I would be having a long and strange journey, but it would be fun and I could learn how the universe works firsthand.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
You have to remember though being able to fly without super speed means you will only be able to fly as fast as you can naturally run, meaning in many cases, public transport will still be faster in long run.
Yet Superman makes it look so fast like a jet.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
For me:
1)Ability to stop time - I'm always rushing around, I always need a little more time!
2)Ability to to fly - Just something I've always wanted to do (as in, fly without aid of a machine).
3)Ability to turn invisible - For the awesomeness factor really.

Jobs2k

Skarg
WFTO Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
I would only need two:
  1. The ability to completely utilise the entire power of my mind.
  2. The ability to change the vibrational frequency of my own body's matter.
With these things I would be able to fully understand any and all scientific concepts (and create many of my own). This would mean I could eventually manipulate space and time whilst also phase out of this existence and into others to further expand my knowledge and abilities.

It would also mean that things like teleportation, invisibility, shape-shifting, flight, etc, would all be possible with the right mental training and knowledge.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
why? flight and running are not the same thing, you should be able to fly as fast as aerodynamics allows a human shaped thing to fly.

Malyanan

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Jan 8, 2012
Australia
you'd have to keep your mouth shut to avoid the vacuum haemorrhaging all the alveoli in your lungs, which doesn't sound very nice.
This time I can't say why, as I'm not an expert when it comes to human biology, but the fact is this just doesn't happen. People have been exposed to (and killed by) the vacuum of space, and this is not something we have observed. While I think 'instant' should mean your body would never reach a state in which anything beyond one layer of skin was harmed, I do think the pain thing would be a serious issue, but if you're an immortal who is thousands (or millions) of years old, I imagine it might become the only thing keeping you sane.

For me a more pressing concern would be what happens in the lead up to the destruction of the Earth and your inevitable trip to space. In this technological age I think you would need some kind of ability to change appearance, in order to escape all of the people that would be after you for testing. If you had the same face for the rest of eternity, with facial recognition software they would be able to find you in an instant.

I don't understand most of the arbitrary rules people place around super powers; they're super powers people! They can do whatever the hell they want because they're not real things! :{P

Top Bottom