• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Igor [Unit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquaman

Blood Imp
May 9, 2012
Name: Igor

Preface I've always loved Terry Pratchet's reimagining of the typical Igor. A support character that is terrible in combat but can make themselves... better. Works together with my (soon to be suggested) Surgery.

Appearance image:

An Igor as they appear in Terry Pratchet's Discworld

Stats:

Health: Low to very high (upgradable)
Armor: Low to very high(upgradable)
Movement Speed: low to very high (upgradable)
Attack strength: low to very high(upgradable)
Attack speed: low to very high(upgradable)
Intelligence: Very high
Construction: High (hates manual labour though)
Training Rate: n/a (Upgrades in the surgery)
Training Cost: Body parts from the graveyard
Wage: very low (making it worth the effort)
Gender: gender neutral (could be either, both or a ratio of the two)

Skills:

Level 1: Gore [Melee - basic melee attack. Slashing. Against all his training, Igor flails his scalpel in an act of randomised surgery.]
Level 3: Vanish into shadows [Spell - When Igor's health has dropped to dangerously low levels, he can simply disappear into the shadows and reappear in the safety and security of his surgery where he can get to work reassembling himself.]
Level 5: Puncture [Melee - piercing. Igor takes a moment or two and then slots his scalpel between armor plates and into the squishier parts of his enemy's anatomy. Very slow, but very powerful. Can cause crippling - immobilising the enemy for a few moments.]
Level 7: Field work [Utility - If there are body par... sorry... components lying around, then Igor can make use of them. Nearby friendly units can be healed if they would just sit still for a few moments...]
Level 10: Reanimate dead [Spell - So it turns out that causing bodies to...undie doesn't require the thunderstorm that was always suspected. Igor is equipped with a powerful battery operated defibrilator which can be used to raise a dead minion to life again. Then he has to return to his surgery to recharge it.... and he couldn't possibly leave it there to do so. You can't trust demonic minion kids these day....]

Weaknesses/Resistances: Igor starts out with no resistances but is upgradable whenever he qualifies for a level up.

Information: Igor is a unique unit in the sense that he doesn't train, doesn't need a lair and hardly ever eats. He also sees little significance in gold except as an ingredient in his experiments. Igor will spend his time in the surgery researching the bits of dead bodies that he scavenges from the graveyard. As he does this he will gain knowledge and progress to new levels.

Levelling up is a different experience with an Igor because he is not strengthening his own body, but rather upgrading it. When he is ready for a level up, he will book himself in for surgery and give the Underlord the choice of where he should focus his skills.

This aspect is up for debate. It could be done with an upgrade tree, or simply a perk system. Either one upgrade leads to the other and that to another with the best skills having prerequisites, or there are a set number of perks unlocked at each level and you get to choose which one to apply. Either way, every Igor can be different and each one can be customized to suit the level you are currently on. As an example: Lava? Get fire resistance 1 (50%), 2 (100%) and 3 (immune to lava).

The areas available for upgrade as far as my thinking goes are: strength, speed, resistances, unique abilities (like bash, or stun, or breathe fire etc.) armour (exoskeleton anyone?), flying, and possibly even mechanical implants of some nature.

Obviously sacrifices will need to be made. You will only get 9 upgrades (one for every level). So make them count.

Appearance: This is where things could get tricky, as an upgradable unit will need a lot of work to make him look different. Each Igor will start as the classic stitched up little runt with a limp, but a tanking Igor could become HUGE (think the titan infected minions form Batman: Arkham Asylum), a fire resistance one could be red, and so on. This will require a clever way of putting the bits together.

This is the biggest hurdle to overcome with this unit - if you're a perfectionist like me. You could just have one generic Igor that grows as he levels himself up (I suppose even this is not completely necessary) but that will make finding the one Igor you need difficult.

Again, this is up for debate.

Behavior in Dungeon: Igor keeps to himself. He is shunned by other units (well he looks weird - even to hellspawn) and spends every second he has in the surgery, doing research or experimenting on scavenged components.

Battle Style: In the early levels, Igors will escape battle where possible - they hate the idea of randomised surgery - but as they level up and get stronger they will participate more readily. They could be tankers, blitzers, or support characters depending on the upgrades selected.

Jobs: Researching either in the surgery or the graveyard is obviously their favorite job, but they are also handy in the library and workshop (even if the hate doing the latter as it roughens their surgeon's hands and it took a damn long time to find those hands!)

Loves: Working in the surgery and digging in the graveyard. Nothing sweeter. They like vampires too. They make good masters.

Hates: Manual labour of any form.

Anger reaction: Any angry Igor simply vanishes. They have much experience with disappearing when things go bad. It's hard coded in the Igor psyche.

Lair: Igor's do not need one. They are happy to just work. They can always replace any part that gets damaged by overuse.

Obtainable By: Arrives from the portal.

Attracted by: Building a surgery and a graveyard.

How Introduced: Finding a neutral surgery already equipped with several eager Igors.

Torture: Hammer his fingers.

Advisor Quotes: "An Igor has shuffled into your dungeon attracted by your surgery. There is no better ally when you get a pounding head ache that won't go away. Provided you don't mind swapping for a head that doesn't ache."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: The version above is provided as a fleshing out of the idea as fully as I could. There is room for ambition here, but I agree that it may take far too much time and effort to develop for a single unit. Below I provide a much simplified version of Igor.

Stats:

Health: starts off very low and grows exponentially high
Armor: starts off very low and grows exponentially high
Movement Speed: Low
Attack strength: starts off very low and grows exponentially high
Attack speed: Low
Intelligence: Very high
Construction: High (hates manual labour though)
Training Rate: n/a (Levels up in the surgery)
Training Cost: Bodies from the graveyard
Wage: starts off very low and grows exponentially high
Gender: gender neutral (could be either, both or a ratio of the two)

Skills: As before but it has been raised that the reanimate dead skill may be too technologically advanced for the era. In response I say that it doesn't HAVE to be a defibrilator. Igor is a surgeon so he could just do it with a knife if that's preferable. As for which unit he revives; there are a number of ways to tackle that problem: a hard (or soft) coded priority list of unit types, give the overlord the choice, or just the highest levelled unit.

Weaknesses/Resistances: Igor starts out with no resistances but develops decent resistances to everything.

Information: This version of Igor takes away the customization aspect of the previous Igor. Instead Igor develops along a linear path. Every level he grows stronger as he adds and builds up his masterpiece.

The growth is exponential, and so he will still be fairly weak at level 4-5. Once he reaches the higher levels he will become an EXTREMELY powerful tanking unit.

Leveling will still require the use of both a graveyard and a surgery. As he takes bodies from the dirt the knowledge he unearths will inspire him to perfect his own body. A single body holds enough information to make the small changes to reach level 2. From there two more bodies will be needed to reach level 3. Three for level 4, four for level 5 etc.

By this reckoning it will require 45 bodies to reach level 10. That's a lot, but Igor will be outrageously powerful at level 10. His masterpiece is complete. He may not rival Horny, but he's more than a match for any other physical unit.

Because Igor is so dedicated to his task, he hates any form of interuption. The surgery has many other benefits (which I will deal with when I formally suggest it) but Igor is loathe to waste his time dealing with others. It is for this reason that Igor will not share his surgery with another Igor. Worse than that, he considers them a rival for research material (ie bodies) and will attack them on sight.

Appearance: In order for this concept to work, Igor will have to develop as he levels up. He starts as a scrawny little humpback with a lisp and a limp, but as he grows he bursts his little shawl as the muscles ripple out. By the end his fists are covered in a bony exoskeleton and his shoulders brush both sides of the corridors as he lumbers along.

Behavior in Dungeon: At early levels he is as above: shy and reclusive. As he grows he becomes more and more aggresive, until he's picking fights with anyone in vengeance for the bullying he took in the past.

Once at level 10, he is so comsumed by his masterpiece that all he does is search for someone to fight, be they friend or foe.

Battle Style: This also develops as Igor does. Initially he is timid and runs from battle as best his stumpy legs can. By level 5 he is actively engaging like any other minion. By level 10, he actively seeks battle.

Hates: Manual labour of any form. Being interupted in the surgery. Oh, and other Igors. They can't stand the competition.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Like the idea. Almost feel a little sorry for this creature. Like the idea of him upgrading himself. However, would it be better to require another Igor to do this? Also, perhaps it could put both Igor's out of your control while the 'improvements' take place?

Aquaman

Blood Imp
May 9, 2012
That's up for debate. I wouldn't see a problem in a single Igor doing it on (to?) himself. He could simply pull a curtain around an operating table and get going with creepy silhouettes.

The Igor will be out of whack while he mods himself or the other Igor. While this happens he will be unable to heal other friendly units - the mechanics of which I will put into my Surgery suggestion when I get there (but ideas are always welcome).

An alternate that has just occurred to me would be to have only one Igor per surgery (they can be picky with their tools you see). That way having the Ior out doing other things prevents the surgery from healing other units or any of the less savoury functions available to you at the surgery.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
An alternate that has just occurred to me would be to have only one Igor per surgery (they can be picky with their tools you see). That way having the Ior out doing other things prevents the surgery from healing other units or any of the less savoury functions available to you at the surgery.
This sounds good. A possessive, gentle Igor is much harder to feel sorry for than a gentle Igor who lets his fellow Igor's just borrow all his stuff, and when it doesn't come back, goes out and buys another one.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
As much as I like that idea (Igor managing more Igors in dungeon YEAH), Im afraid that this is too much RPGstyle - Igor unit in comparison with other units would be too complex, too complicated...dont you think?
I can see him, running along a tunel with defibrilators chasing an imp...:D
Try to make him a bit more simple pls. - I really dont think that devs would want to make this unit so elaborate.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
As much as I like that idea (igor managing more Igors in dungeon YEAH), Im afraid that this is too much RPGstyle - Igor unit in comparison with other units would be too complex, too complicated...dont you think?
I can see him, running along a tunel with defibrilators chasing an imp...:D
Try to make him a bit more simple pls. - I really dont think that devs would want to make this unit so elaborate.
Quoted for truth. His basic concept is fun and could work, but I don't think that the RPG upgrade style will work, especially if you have to do that per unit. Also, defibrillators may be too advanced for the themes of this game. I'm not sure.

MrWahloh

Dwarven Worker
May 6, 2012
The Netherlands
Yeah, probably. If the Dev team agrees with you, me and Aquaman can probably work together to make a new, better unit with aspects of both the Butcher and the Igor
To much units with alot of mechanics could get confusing, especially to new players. Merging would be a nice idea, I like the Butcher visual better though, creepier and more evil looking.

OK. Like both names, but will go with Igor.
How about Butcher Igor, "Butcher" could be used as an title. Both happy.

Aquaman

Blood Imp
May 9, 2012
Dark Master of Onions - No problems here. I'd be happy to work out a combination character. Or perhaps we could find a way to divert the two - both have potential, especially with their extra functions (the blood gathering and healing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom