1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Imp priorities : Dig or Reinforce walls

Discussion in 'Rejected Bug Reports' started by stuvash, Nov 16, 2013.

1. stuvash

stuvash Gnarling

When you begin a game, the first things imps do is reinforcing the walls, and the only way to make them stop is to slap them or grab them. This is a bit tricky when you're giving out directions and suddenly begin to think for a second where to dig next, the imps will begin to reinforce the walls. This is kind of weird when I see they can run throughout all the dungeon if I ask them to dig blocks from different places at once, but they won't do it if I click one by one and go reinforcing walls instead. The problem is that reinforcing takes quite a bunch of time.

Although, maybe all this is intended and slapping them is what was planned ?

2. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

It's at least intended that they do only nearby tasks of the same type after grabbed & dropped. We also wanted that this happens after imps were summoned to allow to directly assign imps to tasks via summon spell.
    But not sure about the beginning of the game. Atm. they behave at the beginning of a level like after they were summoned.
    Normally this is no issue when the walls around the dungeon core are already fortified, they instantly switch back to default behaviour.
    In your vid you show a mixture of the "after drop behaviour" and the fact that they always finish a task once started, so that in a moment there was no dig task thus they started fortifying. The dig task was created slightly later via select but then they were already on fortifying.

3. stuvash

stuvash Gnarling

Yeah if you plan how it will go right from the start you don't really meet such issue, but in this specific situation it's not that enjoyable. Mostly because I'm playing with only 2 imps.

Now if we're getting the "Summon spell" in the early stage of a game (even in the future stable version) then it's not a problem; nobody would want to play with 2 imps unless it's for a specific mission.

4. Cultist Joris

Cultist Joris Ember Demon Founder

Nobody will ever play with only 2 imps, because they will respawn when your imp population goes below 4.

5. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

I suspect this won't be much of an issue when you have the ability to easily pick up imps and drop them to a new task via the units tab. And of course you will always have 4 imps.

The circumstances used to replicate this behaviour are also quite unique. Disrupting their jobs by cancelling digs on dirt walls, which results in a wall needing the be fortified before another dig task is created, is rather unusual. I honestly can't imagine this occurring regularly within normal play.

Overall this is part of the genre as well. Sometimes your minions won't do what you want, and I don't see what's wrong with delivering a swift slap when they're not following your rather bizarre and confusing instructions! Builds character you know!