1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase wall fortification priority

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by ZzZombo, Feb 2, 2016.

1. ZzZombo

ZzZombo Gnarling

The thing is, since there is almost always another kind of task available and due to the fact it's the lowest priority, you end up with a 30+ min game and no fortified walls at all. Worse, if you would like to grab a worker for a job and you don't wan to interrupt already fortifying workers, you no longer may rely on the idle workers report to not pick them up. Overall, it's my biggest gripe against the last patch, the behavior I have seen before it was waaay better than in DKII, that has exactly the same issues, and now we are back to it, what a regression.

Some instances where this matters the most:
    • Heart Attack: no fortified walls — the Garrison is fucking useless, and you just get rolled over — you lose badly.
    • Any skirmish map — you'd like to fortify the whole perimeter don't you?

2. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

I understand what you're saying... but we set this as a higher priority before and that got complaints... it's impossible to set the priorities in a way that will make everyone happy.

Obviously grabbing and dropping a worker is the best way to assign a fortify task, but you say you think something has changed in the last patch? As far as I know there haven't been any changes so is there any chance you could be more specific or grab us a video.. sounds like something could have got messed up there.

Just as a side note, the garrison also buffs defenses, so even without walls it's still pretty useful.

3. AdxUndead

AdxUndead Ghoul

I always use a ritual. I play with a 600-800 mana pool so i don't have the imps to spare for any but blocking walls. It's a bother for anyone playing non open style but devs know the AI's love to cut up our earth. Bare in mind it's more complicated than you'd think to fix. In short the priotiy and idle where to help you keep building walls to key areas and have them perform tile claiming or minion collection when you get a breach. There are more and better details in the posts that prompted the change.

Biervampir [AUT] likes this.
  4. ZzZombo

ZzZombo Gnarling

I have read the thread asked for that change before posting mine. All and all, you just went from one edge to another. But I think we could refine it:
    • Within the first 5 minutes of the game, fortification has the lowest priority possible. As you naturally tend to expand and such fortifying isn't that useful indeed and gets in the way most of the time.
    • Past that time, fortification has priority lower than claiming tiles, or whatever they had prior to the patch, whatever is lower. As you should already be settled and start to worry about being attacked.
    • Maybe even add a dynamic part to it, the further and the closest to the Dungeon Core parts of the dungeon should be of the topmost priority for fortification, as they are the most vulnerable for attacks, and all walls in a Garrison area of effect as well.

Maybe. I explicitly remember dropping a small group of workers to fortify a pretty big Barracks, but later I found no workers there being busy with that, and like half the room still being just earth. Happened throughout the entire game, I simply ended up brewing 10 potions of Spirit Workers just to fortify the rest of my dungeon.

5. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

See that's the point, maybe for you Fortifying isn't important in the first 5 minutes, but for someone playing sloth it could be very important. There simply is no way to cater to everyone all the time, it is always going to require some worker micromanagement to get what you want, and in my opinion that's part of playing a game and being good at it.

Also, Fortify ritual would have been a much quicker/cheaper option...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  6. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Personal Opinion
    I prefere playing very aggresive, but I also tried playing Sloth and I don't feel that fortified Walls are important.
    They can be very usefull in blocking your opponent. But after 3 Underminers the Walls breaks down and you have the battle.
    I really like this change, because they do more important taks now.

Ritual
    Sometimes it's very important to fortiefy Walls, and it works fine for me. I drop 3 Workers there, and they start fortifying.
    If you really want fortyfied Walls, I suggest using the Ritual, liek Adx suggested. It's way faster, and you could use your Workers and Mana for better tasks.

Worker Flag
    I also suggest to you to place the Worker Flag there. They will automatically priotice all tasks in this area.

AdxUndead likes this.
  7. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

Personally, I was extremely frustrated with the higher Fortification priority we had back in the day, and the system often still is rather annoying , i.e. when digging out a new room, there is one short moments in which workers can not claim tiles within it as the small bottleneck connecting it to your territory has to be claimed first, so they will automatically start to fortify nearby walls, while the lone worker who claimed the 1x1 bottleneck now has an entire room to claim all on his own.

That being said, from my personal experience, workers will stick to fortifying nearby walls if you drop them down to fortify one wall tile. So if you want an entire wall section fortified, just drop one near one of its unfortified tiles and it should automatically fortify all other connected wall tiles after the first tile is fortified.

AdxUndead likes this.
  8. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

I have an idea. How about having a proritizing list for workers in some kind of menu in game, just like it is in Settlers? In Settlers you have the option to decide what items are going to be carried first, and this really helped in situations that were different than normal. In WFTO, the current prioritizing list could be the normal one, and then if you wanted the workers to prioritize different, you could just go to the list, change it, and voila, problem solved. :)

I would love it if this feature was in WFTO.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Biervampir [AUT] likes this.