• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Kickstarter - Stonehearth

Jan 3, 2013
No it doesn't. It doesn't have hundreds upon hundreds of players all on the same server, CAPABLE OF INTERACTING WITH EACH OTHER - the only determining factor in whether a game is an MMO or not.

Where is the bad man who misinformed you on what an MMO is? I want to peel of his face and feed it to him.
Server I played ( Diablo 2 ) had ~10k people online, and it was Russian. I can imagine official one would have even more. Oh and people were interacting with each other : either they killed each other, stole loots, mob kills or grouped together and grinded/boss raided, since more people in group means more XP, Gold and higher drop change aswell as x8 stronger mobs/bosses.

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Server I played ( Diablo 2 ) had ~10k people online, and it was Russian. I can imagine official one would have even more. Oh and people were interacting with each other : either they killed each other, stole loots, mob kills or grouped together and grinded/boss raided, since more people in group means more XP, Gold and higher drop change aswell as x8 stronger mobs/bosses.
The server may have had 10k people, but in a particular world instance you would only have up to 8 people at maximum. Only a limited number of people were playing together at a given time, so it's just regular multiplayer.

In other news, Stonehearth has reached $600k (official total is about $150 away with the last paypal total, but the last paypal update was on Friday so it's pretty much certain it's over it) - Three Kingdoms is in.

Jan 3, 2013
Aha, no. You could have at most 8 people in one game in Diablo 2. There's no goddamn way the game could handle 10k people on the same map. Where would they even fit? The entire game world would be nothing but people, killing monsters as soon as they spawn. :p
Actually it was. Now I recall majority of people I met were in the dungeons/boss raids, not sitting under the tree. Anyway, if Diablo 3 has something similar, then there's no point in discussion.

Ontopic : Kickstarter says $573,059, but if what you say is true, then yes, there will be Three Playable Kingdoms in the game.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Actually it was. Now I recall majority of people I met were in the dungeons/boss raids, not sitting under the tree.
What? :p I've never heard of anyone breaking the 8 player limit in Diablo 2, ever. Even if you did, that doesn't change anything about the fact that the game wasn't conceived and constructed to be an MMO. I'd like to see that, because there's no way that could work. :p Do you maybe have a video from this supposed "MMO Diablo server" of yours, that maybe shows dozens of player characters on screen at once?

Anyway, no, you can have at most 5 people in one game in Diablo 3, even less.

EDIT:
I wonder what the next two flex goals are going to be.
Probably none, they've done quite enough already, and there's not that much time left.

Jan 3, 2013
I honestly hope they don't reveal them unless we pass them - the mere possibility of not getting any of their stretch goals frightens me. Their stretch goals are too awesome.
I can imagine even more areas, extra AI faction or even new gameplay mechanics. Too sad they went a little greedy after 400k, making every next flex goal cost 50k instead of 20k. 50k for Upgraded Musical store, dunno if that's what people would love to have.

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I can imagine even more areas, extra AI faction or even new gameplay mechanics. Too sad they went a little greedy after 400k, making every next flex goal cost 50k instead of 20k. 50k for Upgraded Musical store, dunno if that's what people would love to have.
That doesn't have to do with Greed, it has to do with not taking on too much work. Overpromising and underdelivering isn't something they want to do.

Jan 3, 2013
That doesn't have to do with Greed, it has to do with not taking on too much work. Overpromising and underdelivering isn't something they want to do.
They rated a single class addition, wich will require lots of tweaking and balancing as 20k, while events like festival that don't really require any serious balancing as 50k. Unless their festivals will be something super-special, I see no reason why they are rated as 50k, and so is Upgraded Music Store ( wich I believe isn't even needed ).

Now if they would keep things at 20k there would be 5 more flex goals, instead 2. The only justified goals that match 50k requirement are Three Kingdoms, Alternative Planes and maybe Co-Op mode ( this one probably would be fine with 20k too ).

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
They rated a single class addition, wich will require lots of tweaking and balancing as 20k, while events like festival that don't really require any serious balancing as 50k. Unless their festivals will be something super-special, I see no reason why they are rated as 50k, and so is Upgraded Music Store ( wich I believe isn't even needed ).

Now if they would keep things at 20k there would be 5 more flex goals, instead 2. The only justified goals that match 50k requirement are Three Kingdoms, Alternative Planes and maybe Co-Op mode ( this one probably would be fine with 20k too ).
1. Tweaking and balancing classes is part of an existing system, but keep in mind they have to do that for every class and not just for the stretch goal ones. If they promise too many new classes they may not be able to deliver them all by the Sept 2014 release.
2. Festivals will require a brand new system - they have to implement that entirely from scratch. It will take longer for them to make it than it will any individual class, as they not only have to implement the system they also have to make multiple festivals.
3. An upgraded music score means they need to spend additional funds on paying higher quality musicians. That's not cheap, and $50k for that isn't unreasonable. Whether you think it's needed or not isn't relevant, as not everyone is going to be excited for every stretch goal offered. Honestly I don't really care about co-op, but I understand why it's a higher end stretch goal. I backed for the base game, so any and all stretch goals are just gravy to make what I bought even better.

Jan 3, 2013
Don't tell me their team consists of 5-10 people.

Edit : I take my words. They are couple of guys only, involved into this development. I expected a small team or something, didn't consider this project could be managed by so few people.

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Don't tell me their team consists of 5-10 people.
Their team currently consists of two people, and everything you've seen for the game so far was made by the two of them alone. (you'd know this if you watched the Kickstarter video) This shouldn't come as a shock - indie studios tend to be small. The money they are raising is to get the resources needed to make the game within a reasonable amount of time, which includes hiring more people. Given the amount they have raised, 5-10 is the likely range of people.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
Thank god we've got off the MMO thing. I am so looking forward to Stonehearth! Which of the three kingdoms do you think you'll identify with most? I'm probably a Northmen or Ascendancy guy.

Jan 3, 2013
If I remember, Kickstarter don't take out your donation from your bank account for 2 weeks or so?
It shouldn't matter since if game isn't funded your money comes back to you.

Ontopic : Am I right and 5$ ( aka Tier 1 ) doesn't grant you the game? What's the point of it then?

Jan 3, 2013
It's actually really common to have a tier like that, some people just like the feeling of contributing, or back the project just so they can receive updates, and comment on it.
So I got it right and 5$ doesn't grant you the game. Seems rather senseless tier to me as you end up with nothing in the end. Better pay 15$ and have a copy of the game stored.

Btw : Game needs help in order to get Greenlit on Steam. How about voting for it?

Top Bottom